Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Turbocharger FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
Turbocharger FAQ

There has been a lot of questions being asked about turbochargers and turbo systems in general. So i would like to talk about several things to help people understand what all goes into building a turbocharger system.

#1. How does a turbocharger work?

A turbocharger works by using exhaust gasses to compress ait into your engine. It does this by making your exhaust go through a turbine, causing it to spin. And this turbine is connected to another turbine (via. turbine shaft) which sucks air into the turbo, and compressing it into your intake.

#2. What does an intercooler do?

By compressing the air, you generate heat. This heat makes the air charge less dense, making it less effective. Think of it this way, if you have 15 psi of boost, but its temperature is 300 degrees, you will make less power than a car at 8 psi and 100 degrees. The colder the air charge, the more power you will make.

#3. What is the air-water intercooler?

The air-water intercooler is almost like a radiator.... Instead of air passing through hot water to cool off the engine, it uses cold water to cool off the air going into your engine.

The water used in the air-water is then passed through a heat exchanger to cool the water back down, then back into its holding tank. You can add ice to the holding tank to bring the intake tempereature down even further, thus making more power.

#4. What does the equal length manifold do?

Well, the equal length manifold makes it to where each exhaust pulse gets to the turbo in a fashionable order. By letting each exhaust pulse have "it's own turn" going into the turbo, it allows for a quicker spoolup time, and lets the exhaust scavange the cylinders (get all the exhaust gases out) better than other manifolds. This allows you to have a better torque curve.

#5. What is alcohol injection?

The alcohol injection unit sprays a fine mist into your intake charge, which does several things... It cools down the intake charge, and it raises the octane rating of your gas. By raising the octane rating, you can run more boost without running into detonation.

#6. What is detonation?

Detonation is when the fuel inside your cylinders actually explodes instead of burns. It is an uncontrolled burn. You can usually hear detonation, it sounds like static coming from your engine. Detonation is what will usually kill turbo cars. By preventing detonation, you make your car more reliable, and increase the longevity of your engine.

#7. How does the SF fuel system work?

Well, 3 letters, P.F.M.

That stands for Pure Freakin Magic.

#7. No really, what does it do?

Well, it is a pnumatic fuel pressure multiplier. It uses boost levels to increase the fuel pressure in your fuel rail, thus giving your engine the extra fuel needed when under boost.

#8. Do i have to cut my front bumper to install my intercooler?

Yes. There is no way around it. So quit being a wuss and get out your xacto knife!

#9. Do i have to get rid of my fog lights?

Most likely. There is not too terribly much room in the bumper after the installation of your intercooler. If you can get them to fit, post how you did it. There will be many people thanking you.

#10. What octane gas should i use?

You MUST use 91 octane or higher at all times. If you use anything less than 91, you will experience the Detonation that we talked about earlier.

#11. Can i still use my Cold air intake with this kit?

No, the turbo replaces your cold air intake.

#12. What does the Blow off valve do?

It relieves the pressure in your intercooler piping when you shift (or let off the gas), which allows your turbo to keep spinning. If you do not have a BOV, then you will experience a "Pressure surge", which will make your turbo stop spinning, which means that you will have to spool up your turbo every time you shift. Pressure surges can also damage your turbo, by bending turbine shafts, and damaging seals.

#13. Internal or External Wastegate?

Well, this usually depends on preference. For your normal everyday guy who just wants to have a quick car, i would recommend the internal wastegate. It is easy to install, takes up little room in your engine bay, and costs less.

Now if you want to make 300+ whp, you may need an external wastegate. The external wastegate requires a slightly different manifold, and extra pluming for the dump tube.

#14. What does a wastegate do?

Remember how i said a turbo works by forcing the exhaust to go through the turbine blade? Well, the wastegate allows the exhaust gas to go around the turbine blade when your car makes a certain amount of boost. When you reach that level of boost, the wastegate allows the exhaust gas to go around the turbo, making the turbo stay at that psi.

#15. Can i choose to not have a wastegate?

Sure, just dont cry when your car only lasts 5 mins.

#16. Is lower compression better for turbos?

Yes and no. The lower the compression ratio is on your engine, the more boost you can run on pump gas without the car detonating. But when you run the same amount of boost on a higher compression motor, you will make more power. Also the lower the compression ratio is on your motor, the slower the car will be when not under boost.

Thanks to our alcohol injection unit, we can run more boost without having to lower te compression of the motor.

***** new questions added *****

#17. What kind of oil should i use?

Well, it all depends on your taste. There really is no "turbo oil", I just use 10w30 or 10w40. Some people like to use synthetic, which is good because it doesnt coke up the bearings in the turbo. But, synthetic does like to go past seals, so it may start to leak into the turbo and cause a little smoke. But that is in the case that your seals are partially shot, and the regular oil cant get past it.

#18. What kind of maintanence should i do with the turbo?

Nothing beyond your normal stuff. Oil changes, check radiator level, windshield wiper fluid. I just recommend ol changes every 3000 miles.

#19. What type of spark plugs should i use?

I strongly recommend Denso Iridium IK20's.
You need colder plugs, just keep that in mind.

#20. Do i need guages?

No, you actually dont need guages with some kits. The kits that come pre-tuned dont need guages because they are set to operate within safe conditions at all times. Guages are a very good idea just for reference. And i do recommend them.

#21. What is a turbo timer and do i need it?

Well, a turbo timer lets your turbo cool down before your car turns off. When you shut down your car, you were usually accellerating a short time before. So when you accellerate, you produce more exhaust gas, which heats up your turbo. Since your turbo has oil running through it constantly, it helps cool it down. So when your turbo timer keeps your car running after you turn your key off, the turbo is allowed to run more oil through it to cool it down. If you just shut your car off without letting it cool down, the oil that is now stuck inside your turbo will become extremely hot, and will burn and solidify. This is called "coking the turbo". When oil cokes up the turbo, the seals can become damaged, the oil flow can become restricted, and many other bad things can happen.

Do you "need" a turbo timer? No. If you want your turbo to last for a long time, you should either get a turbo timer, or sit with your car idling for AT LEAST 30 seconds after you have parked. I recommend getting the apex'i auto timer, it automatically calculates how long your car should idle, and also tells you a/f ratio, O2 sensor voltage, and regular voltage. This unit is also extremely compact and easy to mount/install.

# 22. What is a boost controller?

Boost controllers work by either bleeding off air from the wastegate or by restricting it. An electronic boost controller works by restricting the pressure to the wastegate until the desired boost is reached. The manual boost controller works in a similar way, just you have to change settings from under the hood.

ok, if you have any other questions, please ask. I will add them to the list.

Last edited by Catalyst; 09-28-2003 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
what are some things you need to change under the hood when you get tubo'd? as far as changing to different spark plugs, oil, transmission fluid, etc...?

Last edited by EnProceso; 09-22-2003 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2003
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
nice faq!!

i have 1 question...can u run higher compression ratio and not experience detonation? if so what would have to be done?
Old 09-22-2003
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Re: Turbocharger FAQ

Great post Mike

Originally posted by Catalyst
#7. How does the SF fuel system work?

Well, 3 letters, P.F.M.

That stands for Pure Freakin Magic.

I thought it was magic!!
Old 09-22-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
really. What all should I change when I get a turbo? what oil to use, do i need new spark plugs, and is there anything else that is a good idea for the longevity of my engine?
Old 09-22-2003
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
yea synthetic oil, i use ngk spark plugs
Old 09-22-2003
Nugget Garage Since 2004

Big Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant future
nice post...now all i have to do is save up some serious cash! Soon...very soon.
Old 09-22-2003
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
Added more questions....
Old 09-22-2003
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
Re: Turbocharger FAQ

Originally posted by Catalyst

#18. What kind of maintanence should i do with the turbo?

windshield wiper fluid.

that's what i keep forgeting oh and dont for get about the timer. how many times have i seen peeps with aftermarket turbo's and no timer they just turn off ther car.
Old 09-23-2003
Registered!!

ah yes, turbo timers are recommended
Old 09-23-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
someone make this sticky...
Old 09-24-2003
Registered!!

I believe that this would be very useful information for everyone to have, so could someone please make this sticky? I dont have enough points
Old 09-24-2003
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
I bought the sticky featur for you. As a token of my appreciation lol. Can't wait to have the kit. The sticky only lasts 1 week per buy so if anyone else wants to "save up" for that next one that'd be great, if not I'll try to sticky it again next week.
Old 09-24-2003
Registered!!

Thank you!
Old 09-25-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
ok, extreme noobie question coming up but keep in mind i never had a turbo charged car.....how do you adjust the amount of boost?
Old 09-26-2003
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
either a manual boost controller or electronic boost controller. it connects to your vacuum line. it's this thing you rotate... anyone care to elaborate a lil better?
Old 09-28-2003
Registered!!

Boost controllers work by either bleeding off air from the wastegate or by restricting it. An electronic boost controller works by restricting the pressure to the wastegate until the desired boost is reached. The manual boost controller works in a similar way, just you have to change settings from under the hood.
Old 10-05-2003
Registered!!

fennel123 is an unknown quantity at this point
wut the doose is a sticky?
Old 10-05-2003
Registered!!

fennel123 is an unknown quantity at this point
also, sorry im new, but i have a LX 2003. i just want a quick everyday driver to let loose on the weekends or something or showoff to friends. is the SF turbo kit perfect for this? also, instead of cutting the front bumper to fit the intercooler, wut aftermarket front bumper is better than cuttin the stock one?
Old 10-06-2003
Registered!!

you really have to cut just about any bumper. You dont have to hack the bumper all up, just remove the little bit that would otherwise hit your intercooler.

And the SF kit is perfect for anyone wanting more power, whether it is daily driven or full race.
Old 10-07-2003
Registered!!

rodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Mike,

I just want to say that this forum is one of the most informative forums I have had the chance to be a member of. I would like to give you mad props for the way you post the easy to follow instructions without the high tech lingo. I had my friend's 16 year old son read the information you have published, and even he now knows how a turbo works. Thanks for all the excellent info and thank you for spareing me with the hard-to-understand-unless-you are-Mr. Goodwrench terminology that a lot of forums are notorious for. I'm so pleased, I even want to buy an SF turbo from you!!
Old 10-08-2003
Registered!!

xmeeksx is an unknown quantity at this point
well i hope to get this kit some day, but since my car will remain daily driven i need it to pass inspection/emission..i have a friend with a turbo neon and he barely passed...i think he bribed the guy..but anyways..will this pass or im i out of luck? ive asked this before by the way, i just cant remember the answer and i cannot find the thread
Old 10-08-2003
Registered!!

Rodster, thank you for the compliment! That is exactly why i write the way i do. When i was doing my CRX up i was a member of Hybrid-Garage. Those people just tried to show off using technical terminology, and never actually helped me out. I had to learn everything the hard way, and i just want to make it easier for everyone to learn the things i did.

xmeekx, actually, one of our cars passes the smog test. The car will pass the emissions test without any problems, it just will not pass the visual in most states. If you have an EX, that is most likely the first one to become fully SMOG legal.
Old 10-08-2003
Registered!!

xmeeksx is an unknown quantity at this point
so im assuming that the catalytic converter is kept where it is?..anyways thank you for clearing that up..perhaps i will be a future owner of this kit some time in the future
Old 10-08-2003
Former Sponsor

SFpower is an unknown quantity at this point
on the ex, the catalytic converter is kept in the same location
Old 10-10-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
will it be better to remove the cat to take away the restriction of the airflow and will it help alot, how much is the gain with the turbo?
Old 10-10-2003
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought the sticky feature for you.
Old 10-10-2003
Registered!!

Thank you!
Old 10-29-2003
Registered!!

CivicRacer5 is an unknown quantity at this point
can we add a catylytic convertor and make it legal?
Old 10-29-2003
YoUnG N SuXsExFul

guamcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
very informative! thanks!

Quick Reply: Turbocharger FAQ