Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

Where to shift on the strip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to shift on the strip?

All right drag-minded folks, I'm headed to the strip on Saturday and need a little advice on shift points. I've been practicing my e-brake launches so I'm not worried about that. What I am curious about is when to shift.

The first time I went, it was advised (after the fact) that I not shift at redline like I was doing. Cool. It was a stock cam and I probably wasn't making any power there. However with the new cam, my powerband is a lot broader, probably making that advice irrelevant. By looking at my dyno sheet, I make power all the way up to redline without falling off. Does this mean I should shift as close to redline as I can without bouncing the rev limiter?

Have a look at my dyno sheet and let me know what you think. Click on it to make it big so you can see the whole thing.

Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
Re: Where to shift on the strip?

i'm def no drag pro clint, but if the top line is your torque band, it looks like it levels out between 5500 and 6250, so i would say shifting close to 6k should be good...

anyone else??
Old 03-05-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

But wouldn't I want to hang out in that torque band a little before shifting and dropping out of it? The whole line is torque with the top being crank and the bottom being at the wheels, if I'm not mistaken. Although, I'm no expert at reading dynographs either.
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

i thought the top line(left side) with the nearly flat portion was your tq graph and the other set was your hp graph? hence my earlier statement...but i've been wrong before
Old 03-06-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

always shift close to red or basically as high as you can. it makes no difference if you shift it toward the end of the power band etc etc. because in the next gear you are gonna end up having to work the engine harder in that gear to get up to speed because you shifted from a lower RPM in the previous gear. shifting early will slow you down. why ya think most quick hondas have their redlines raised up? in my bone stock d17a2 w/ a custom turbo kit and 8psi of boost i clocked a 13.99 on slicks w/ 1.6 60 foot. good times at the track is all about the 60 foot.
Old 03-06-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

oh and do you know how to preload launch? it does wonders. you should google it if you dont know how or PM me. it saves your tranny from harm but burns up your clutch. my 1.6 60ft on slicks was done with preload launch @ 7k (bouncing redline to build boost; 5lbs of boost sitting at the line does wonders since our civics got no torque to get off the line to begin with) and major clutch slippage [exedy organic stage 1].

i dont suggest redline launching if you do not know how to preload launch well, as it can royally **** your tranny.
Old 03-07-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Shift @ 8
LoL Kpro FTW! jk

That cam you have is going to continue to make power all the way to your redline and beyond so I would run it all the way up and try to shift as close to the limiter as possible.

If you can time your shift just perfectly I would do it right at/before the fuel cut. Do it so the bounce back on the limiter would kick in by the time your shifter is between gates. but not so that you actually feel the limiter. If you can get it just right you will pick up a little bit of a boost of power that will help with your forward momentum without loosing any of your original forward momentum.

I also wouldn't wouldn't spin the car over 5000 with out a load on it. The engines aren't designed to spin that high on it with out a load on it that is one of the reasons the k-pro has launch limiter software setup up for 5000 right out of the box. You risk throwing something if you spin high enough with out a load on it.
Old 03-08-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

The preload launch isn't that where you just ease off the clutch instead of dumping it? Thus burning the hell out of your clutch?
Old 03-08-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

You want to shift at peak HP and have it fall back to peak TQ... redline the **** out of that thing. You'll have to tinker and find whats fastest.... but as you get higher in the gears, you're gonna have to rev the hell out of it... you're gonna need 4th to make it, and the car will fall on its face across the 3/4 upshift. Go as high as you can.
Old 03-09-2008
Registered!!

yeah pheaton thats pretty much it. ease of the clutch with the ebrake engaged so you have load on the entire drivetrain prior to taking off the line. this takes a toll on your clutch but messing up your clutch beats blowing up your tranny any day. and plus if you really knew how to drive you should be slipping the hell outa the clutch anyways(in a drag race)
Old 03-29-2008
Registered!!

damian02civic has a spectacular aura aboutdamian02civic has a spectacular aura aboutdamian02civic has a spectacular aura about

I'm also not an expert or anything but I figured since I've ran at the speedway down here, I'd let you know what I do and maybe you can use or improve on them.

1.If you dont have slicks or radials don't burn out. Avoid the water patch.
2.Set psi in tires to around 19.
3.Launch around 6k.
4.Powershift. Never release the gas. This enables your VTEC to stay engaged instead of dropping below VTEC and having to pull back into it from 3-3.5k or so. This takes some toll on your clutch but not much. I've ran my car atleast 10 times at the track on a stock oem clutch and I took it to a shop and they said its normal for the time I've had it on. a year and a half or so.
5. When you see the 2nd yellow light on the tree drop, ease off your clutch and soon as the 3rd one drops, drop the clutch and mash.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or not doing enough. My best time on crappy tires, heavy rims, CAI, Megan full exhaust header back. 17.1@80mph with a .120 launch. I also have an EX full interior. No weight mods besides CF hood.
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

honda1996 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 96 civic cx, this model dose not have and rpm indicator it just has the speed indicator, it has a 5 speed manual transmission, in that case how do you know when to shift ?
Old 02-24-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice

buy a tach. its the opnly way to know how far you can push it before you hit your rev limiter.
Old 02-28-2010
Registered!!

boha is an unknown quantity at this point

No, no no, son, please do not race the civic. The car is not suitable for racing environments! Oh for goodness sake please do not do this. I love my civic. It is so wonderful for getting my groceries and to get me to my bingo sessions. It is so pleasant when I step down on the accelerator to the floor, it doesn't give me a queasy acceleration feeling like my old Geo Metro. The gentle civic should not be abused and treated to racing, son. My car satisfies me in that I can beat my grandson in a race when he rides his moped, so its plenty fast. Do not abuse the poor gentle civic, it wasn't made for any type of performance. Good luck sonny.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

No no, race your civic, it makes my CBR look even faster!
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by honda1996
i have a 96 civic cx, this model dose not have and rpm indicator it just has the speed indicator, it has a 5 speed manual transmission, in that case how do you know when to shift ?
You cannot see it coming. But if you hit the rev limiter then you have gone too far. You can listen to the engine and learn to recognize when it is about to hi the limiter and that is where you want to shift.

PS its called a tachometer and a speedometer.