Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Selling my Civic, what should I ask?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Selling my Civic, what should I ask?

I have a stock 2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition automatic sedan, with 153k.

In all your experience, what should I ask for it, or what guide should I use?

I know of KBB.com, NADA.com, Edmunds.com, but also know there's Black Book that dealers seem to use, etc.

I've sold or attempted to sell a handful of past cars, and a couple motorcycles, and while I was able to sell my 03 Wrangler with 140k and my 04 Civic with 130k, on craigslist, I'm really fed up with how many blatant low ***** you attract on CL, and plan to post on autotrader and as potentially unnecessary as it is, go all out and get the featured listing and such.

I'm not looking forward to trying to sell a car with 150k private party, especially thanks to cars like Dodge Neons that are done at 120k, and people who aren't aware of how well Civics hold up.

So, please help me to gather a realistic figure to shoot for, getting the most money I can for it.

Thanks a lot!!
Old 09-13-2013
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Selling my Civic, what should I ask?

What's the condition? Clean title? If both are good, I'd start at 6500-7000. KBB puts so much weight on the mileage, I don't think it is fair for a honda. JMO
Old 09-14-2013
Registered!!

aircooledjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Civic15
I have a stock 2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition automatic sedan, with 153k.

In all your experience, what should I ask for it, or what guide should I use?

I know of KBB.com, NADA.com, Edmunds.com, but also know there's Black Book that dealers seem to use, etc.

I've sold or attempted to sell a handful of past cars, and a couple motorcycles, and while I was able to sell my 03 Wrangler with 140k and my 04 Civic with 130k, on craigslist, I'm really fed up with how many blatant low ***** you attract on CL, and plan to post on autotrader and as potentially unnecessary as it is, go all out and get the featured listing and such.

I'm not looking forward to trying to sell a car with 150k private party, especially thanks to cars like Dodge Neons that are done at 120k, and people who aren't aware of how well Civics hold up.

So, please help me to gather a realistic figure to shoot for, getting the most money I can for it.

Thanks a lot!!
I went through a bunch of trouble to meet up with a guy when i sold my 05 coupe. I had the car listed at 3500 firm, he showed up and told me 1200. I really wanted to punch the guy in the face. Also all the broke @ss kids super lowballing me. It was insulting. Anywho i think 7-8k is fair if the body/interior is clean. Just stay firm on that price and you should be able to find someone who will give you + or - 500/1000. These civics get 40mpg pretty easy so their value is pretty inflated right now.
Old 09-15-2013
Registered!!

awdcivic2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nada is better than kbb imo, kbb's numbers are much too low most of the time, says my 02 si is worth 5500 at 105k miles, yeah i dont think so itll last another 200k miles its not worth no 5500 lol, hell just months ago with same mile input it said it was worth 6500 so idk its kinda crap.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/...n-4D-EX/Values
Old 09-15-2013
Registered!!

youmadeyou is an unknown quantity at this point

I think $4,000 to $4,500 is Reasonable because its a Automatic.. That should be about what to expect.. With Honda's you really can't look at the book values for a accurate price with Honda you look at what others are paying for them... hope this helps ...

Last edited by youmadeyou; 09-15-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by awdcivic2
hell just months ago with same mile input it said it was worth 6500 so idk its kinda crap.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/...n-4D-EX/Values
The value of a vehicle changes with time so it is possible for it to be worth more one month and not another.

The website that some dealers get access to are auction prices which are what people are actually paying for vehicles in an area (some dealers may not use this method). I just recently traded in a vehicle to a dealer that used this method and kbb was off by about $500 for trade in and only $200-$300 on what the dealer would try to resell it at.

I would take an average of a few websites and start high so there is room to come down.
Old 09-15-2013
Registered!!

awdcivic2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
The value of a vehicle changes with time so it is possible for it to be worth more one month and not another.

The website that some dealers get access to are auction prices which are what people are actually paying for vehicles in an area (some dealers may not use this method). I just recently traded in a vehicle to a dealer that used this method and kbb was off by about $500 for trade in and only $200-$300 on what the dealer would try to resell it at.

I would take an average of a few websites and start high so there is room to come down.
I mean still though an 02 civic si is worth more than 5500 at 105k miles, and i just dont see a car dropping a grand in like 3 months. Hell if i waited long enough prob get 7k in excelent condition, ive seen one in presitine condition sell for 9k.
Old 09-16-2013
Registered!!

reaction57 is an unknown quantity at this point

A car is only worth what the next person is willing to pay.
Old 09-19-2013
SyneticUSA

syneticusa is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest making the price a $1000 higher than the average resale value from websites like KBB and Edmunds.com to allow interested buyers to negotiate the price.