My EM2 - EX SE Build - Page 11 - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2013   #301
Registered!!

SSMCivicCoupe will become famous soon enough
Re: My EM2 - EX SE Build

Your car looks amazing! Props to you man.
SSMCivicCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #302
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Well, today I maxed out my coilovers.

I got a whole nother inch in the back, but unfortunately the fronts were already as low as possible. Now it looks really uneven.

Any tips? Is there such things as shorter springs you can buy? It looks like TEIN makes one that is about 1.3 inches shorter with the same spring rate... would that be too much?

If anyone could help, I'd need springs that are 7 I.D. with a rate of about 335 lbs./in. and shorter than 200mm. Maybe i can find cheaper ones than TEIN
(talking about these:
Tein SA060-01150 Standard Springs (Two Springs) : Amazon.com : Automotive Tein SA060-01150 Standard Springs (Two Springs) : Amazon.com : Automotive
)

I love how the back sits, but i want the front to go down some more too...

Also, we threw my wheel on my buddy's EM2 and i got so jealous. It looks so natural on his car!

Last edited by krudmuphin; 05-06-2013 at 05:38 PM.
krudmuphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #303
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm, black and white lol
Kennykid2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #304
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Just checked out your progress. SWEET!
maxtierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #305

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

lol, you guys are no help.

What about the shorter spring idea for the front?
Is that a good idea for more low?

At the moment, all coils are maxed out and the springs have a bit of free-floating space when the car is lifted.
Old 05-06-2013   #306
pleasure spiked with pain

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Can you swap the rear with the fronts if the springs are not the same size? I know with my coilovers I have more adjustment with the back because you can thread further down the shock body then you can with the fronts.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Can you swap the rear with the fronts if the springs are not the same size? I know with my coilovers I have more adjustment with the back because you can thread further down the shock body then you can with the fronts.
The rear springs are much shorter than the fronts... and a completely different diameter.... so no

Last edited by krudmuphin; 05-06-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2013   #308
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

you could! unless you have threaded through bodies on the fronts like Skunk2 Pro's then springs are your only option.

You will be sacrafiicng damper travel at this point tho if I am not mistaken. How off is the front to back?
TFMEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMEX View Post
you could! unless you have threaded through bodies on the fronts like Skunk2 Pro's then springs are your only option.

You will be sacrafiicng damper travel at this point tho if I am not mistaken. How off is the front to back?
I have no idea what you're talking about lol

This thread has a picture of both struts before they were on the car. If that helps...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4602776

Right now I have all the coilovers maxed out. The springs are unsupported when I lift the car (I'm assuming that's not a really bad thing as long as it's seated properly when you drop the car down...)

I guess at this point, I don't know if it's even safe to attempt anything lower in the front. I don't know how to read the capabilities of my coilovers.
Old 05-07-2013   #310
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

The threaded through bodies like my Pro S II's had the strut body independent of the mount in the front which allowed for a ton of adjustment. yours doesnt have them...
I think you would be fine with 1" shorter springs then you could raise up the coil adjustment to make up the difference and even it out. I love your rims and paint combo... looks amazing.
Old 05-07-2013   #311

I suppose shorter springs couldn't hurt because then I can have a bit of compression in the spring instead of having it hang loose at full droop.

I'm just not prepared to spend $140 on springs for something I didn't even think I would need until yesterday...
Old 05-07-2013   #312
CO&CA

it will be worth it... drop the cash!
Old 05-08-2013   #313
pleasure spiked with pain

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmuphin View Post
I suppose shorter springs couldn't hurt because then I can have a bit of compression in the spring instead of having it hang loose at full droop.

I'm just not prepared to spend $140 on springs for something I didn't even think I would need until yesterday...
Might want to call Tein and see if it would be ok to go that low on those shocks. If you go to low you could pre maturely blow the shock if its not meant to be that low or get a really bouncy ride if the valving doesn't match that low. Also could hit the bump stops more if your at the end of the shock travel.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Might want to call Tein and see if it would be ok to go that low on those shocks. If you go to low you could pre maturely blow the shock if its not meant to be that low or get a really bouncy ride if the valving doesn't match that low. Also could hit the bump stops more if your at the end of the shock travel.
No matter what, if you contact TEIN, they're going to tell you to leave the struts the way they are. Even the installation manual says not to have less than an inch of thread underneath the spring seat. Maybe if I get shorter springs, I should also get stiffer ones.
Old 05-08-2013   #315
CO&CA

Quote:
No matter what, if you contact TEIN, they're going to tell you to leave the struts the way they are. Even the installation manual says not to have less than an inch of thread underneath the spring seat. Maybe if I get shorter springs, I should also get stiffer ones.
Yes you may need to. The lower you go the stiffer you may need to prevent excessive travel and subsequently causing rubbing. When I was slammed i had to cut some of the outter edge of the splash guard and roll the fender to stop rubbing.
Old 05-14-2013   #316
Registered!!

wagstaff13 will become famous soon enoughwagstaff13 will become famous soon enough

why not pick this up off ebay? worked great for me
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HONDA-I-VTEC-...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130330_180458.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	85150  
wagstaff13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagstaff13 View Post
why not pick this up off ebay? worked great for me
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HONDA-I-VTEC-...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1
I'm still thinking about it.
But just so you know, the EM2 is not i-VTEC, just VTEC. And SOHC is not something you really want to advertise on your car
I would buy them and cut off the "i" and the "SOHC" parts
Old 05-16-2013   #318
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
And SOHC is not something you really want to advertise on your car
This^

Just saw your new rims makes me wanna plasti-dip the fat fives white but it'd prolly look ridiculous

Please dont do the sticker lol your car is so clean now
rjones7755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #319

I need some kinda sticker though...

Are there any "civicforums.com" window stickers out there still?
Old 05-16-2013   #320
Registered!!

wagstaff13 will become famous soon enoughwagstaff13 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm still thinking about it.
But just so you know, the EM2 is not i-VTEC, just VTEC. And SOHC is not something you really want to advertise on your car
I would buy them and cut off the "i" and the "SOHC" parts
I realize this that is why in the picture i attached i shown my car with the i taken off. Just wanted to give you an idea what it looked like. Anyway, your car is looking sweet! Too bad you still got the 0 girlfriend part
Old 05-17-2013   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagstaff13 View Post
I realize this that is why in the picture i attached i shown my car with the i taken off. Just wanted to give you an idea what it looked like. Anyway, your car is looking sweet! Too bad you still got the 0 girlfriend part
Blegh... those just cost more money. Money i could be spending on cool cars
Old 05-17-2013   #322
Registered!!

a.sasaki15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey krudmuphin, I like what you've done to your Em2. I've got a white EM2 auto and I've been doing small mods here and there. I see you got a ebay catback and swapped the can with magnaflow? How does it sound? I just have a Magnaflow muffler with everything stock under the car. I'm thinking about just removing the resonator for a little more sound. I've thought about the ebay catbacks but I've heard it sounds unpleasantly loud. Is putting an air intake worth it in your Em2?
a.sasaki15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.sasaki15 View Post
Hey krudmuphin, I like what you've done to your Em2. I've got a white EM2 auto and I've been doing small mods here and there. I see you got a ebay catback and swapped the can with magnaflow? How does it sound? I just have a Magnaflow muffler with everything stock under the car. I'm thinking about just removing the resonator for a little more sound. I've thought about the ebay catbacks but I've heard it sounds unpleasantly loud. Is putting an air intake worth it in your Em2?
Yeah, the Ebay catback is very very loud. The only reason I switched mufflers is because I didn't like how the "can" looked on my car.
I have a video of the exhaust sound with the mag muffler:
[youtube]gtWE7r2UuiI[/youtube]

If I were you, I'd leave the resonator on. I've heard a couple EM2s without it that sound really annoying and overly-raspy. Overall, the Ebay catback is good quality for the price and well worth it. You just have to get used to the loud droning sound when you go up hills, so turn your radio volume way up

And the air intake is DEFINITELY worth it! Sounds really cool, looks good, doesn't cost much, and helps the car breathe better and rev nicer in the upper RPMs.
Old 05-17-2013   #324
Registered!!

Man it's good to know there are folks with EM2 auto's that do mods on their car. I've been contemplating on the air intake. I wonder if getting an intake from autozone and K&N is a huge difference. I've read threads about it but I still can't make up my mind.

I don't want my car to be too loud. I just want a nice growl sound. My friend has a 2001 accord auto. His is a 4 cyclinder and his engine is a little bigger. He has a magnaflow muffler with no exhaust and it sounds good. I just wonder if mine will sound the same or maybe it will sound crap because of the smaller engine.....
Old 05-17-2013   #325
Registered!!

are you planning to buy headers?
Old 05-17-2013   #326

Quote:
Man it's good to know there are folks with EM2 auto's that do mods on their car. I've been contemplating on the air intake. I wonder if getting an intake from autozone and K&N is a huge difference. I've read threads about it but I still can't make up my mind.

I don't want my car to be too loud. I just want a nice growl sound. My friend has a 2001 accord auto. His is a 4 cyclinder and his engine is a little bigger. He has a magnaflow muffler with no exhaust and it sounds good. I just wonder if mine will sound the same or maybe it will sound crap because of the smaller engine.....
For a good growl, but not loud, consider an axle-back exhaust setup.
The only kit I know of like that is the HKS Hi-Power, but I'm sure you could fab one up yourself if you went to a muffler shop. Installing just a muffler onto stock piping sounds almost too quiet.

What most people do for intakes, is buy the Autozone (Spectre) kit and buy an AEM DryFlow filter for it. I just got an AEM short ram because I got a great deal on it. The tubing shouldn't make any difference besides quality of fit.

And at times, I still get upset about my auto, but as long as people don't know, the car can still look and sound good from the outside
Old 05-18-2013   #327
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want too loud, keep stock resonator.
If you want it to growl, get a catback.

I have an auto as well, with intake, header, test pipe, and axleback lol.
Old 05-18-2013   #328

Quote:
are you planning to buy headers?
Only if I get bored with having lots of money again, lol
I would like to have one, definitely, just not yet.
Old 05-18-2013   #329
Registered!!

Quote:
Only if I get bored with having lots of money again, lol
I would like to have one, definitely, just not yet.
Does a header in an ex remove the cat, or is that just for non-ex em2? Im thinking about getting one but dont want it to be illegal and need it to pass inspection. I dont want to to be obnoctiously loud either.you can get a eBay header for ~$80.
Old 05-18-2013   #330
Kenny the Ricer

Header does not remove cat for EX.

EX cat is in the downpipe.

There are no "legal" headers for our car.
You're going to have to swap em out for inspection.
It's like a 5 minute job wth the engine cold