Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

The new CarPC setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
justinwebb will become famous soon enough
The new CarPC setup

So I in the process of building a new car pc for the honda It will be similar to my last build, but a few better parts.
The specs of this build:
Motheboard : Zotac 9300 1333 FSB Geforce 9300 onboard video, up to 8 GB DDR2 800 ram 12 USB ports. onbaord WIFI, and SATA

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHZ

RAM: 4 GB DDR2 800

Soon to come a Western Digital 1TB HDD, a new power supply and some other stuff.

On to the pics

All the stuff so far
Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  88.6 KB

Mobo out of the box
Name:  DSC_0015.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0016.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0017.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  55.1 KB

RAM installed
Name:  DSC_0019.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0021.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  78.1 KB

CPU install
Name:  DSC_0024.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0027.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0030.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  95.5 KB

Put the whole thing on the case bottom its going in which is a gutted cd changer to keep the stock look in the trunk
Name:  DSC_0031.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  48.4 KB

working on attaching a fan to the northbridge/graphics chip as it gets really hot without one, might have enough room for two as i dont want it to burn up
Name:  DSC_0039.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  79.8 KB

CD changer top on still need to install the hard drive and power supply once i get them but this is what it will look like
Name:  DSC_0041.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0042.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  54.7 KB
One intake fan near the processor and an exhaust fan on the other side

Name:  DSC_0040.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  53.9 KB

YAY it turns on
Name:  DSC_0033.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  74.1 KB

should give you an idea how its built
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road
Re: The new CarPC setup

What screen you gonna get?
& I'm gonna assume like a M4-ATX PS?

I am actually right now building my case for my carpc as well lol(New one, the one in my sig was my last car)
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

this is my 4th in my car and have built a total of 23 so far haha

The M4 is junk i have always used Opus and will continue to do so, going with the 250 watt or 360 watt

I have a lilliput in my car from my last build. Been doing this for years haha
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

yeah i have 150watt opus in mine for the last 3yrs...still going. why do you need such a powerful pc for the car? You gonna be gaming in the car or something?>
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

had a VIA E15000G it was a 1.5 ghz and it just couldnt keep up with what i had running. It would be sort of laggy in centrafuse and studder while watching HD movies and videos lol so i figured why not might as well go all out and have close to as fast as i can get in a car without to much heat. Also, for bragging rights haha
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

you should've went with a laptop intel cpu. my centrino 1.4ghz only puts out 15watts of power.
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

meh not big enough haha plus out of all my friends that have a car pc none are this fast so we are curious how well it will work
Old 05-19-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

man thats one powerful carputer.

if deffinatly watercool mine if i had one like urs...

but my 2.0ghz jetway is good enough =]
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

watercooling wouldnt work with a PC in the trunk i would have to run lines outside of the trunk in order to get cooler air and by running the lines that far you kill the usefulness of the watercooling. It will air cool just fine, and worst comes to worst i just underclock it till i can get more ventilation going
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

whitealexander is an unknown quantity at this point

its a nice set-up imo..
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

Retell is an unknown quantity at this point

When I get a new laptop, I am planning on retrofitting my 2.24 C2D, 2gb ddr2, 9600gt Laptop for my computer :P
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

thanks for all the comments guys ill post up more pics here soon once i get everything set up
Old 05-20-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Looks like a complete waste, check your processor/RAM usage once you get it set up and I doubt you'll be using more than half. You're going to be losing all that power to heat, I'd spend the extra money on shielded audio wires, better monitor and a solid state drive.
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

SSD is a must!
Old 05-20-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^no it isnt. they hav not really perfected the technology and it isnt mainstream yet so unless u have some major $$$ to blow, its not practical
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
Looks like a complete waste, check your processor/RAM usage once you get it set up and I doubt you'll be using more than half. You're going to be losing all that power to heat, I'd spend the extra money on shielded audio wires, better monitor and a solid state drive.
not really centrafuse 3 is coming out soon and ill be more of a resource hog then the current version and as car pc's get more and more popualr more things will be coming out, so i am just planning for the future. I have a nice monitor and nice cables. Not fond of the SSD right now ill give it a while to come down in price for larger sizes.
Old 05-20-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by justinwebb
not really centrafuse 3 is coming out soon and ill be more of a resource hog then the current version and as car pc's get more and more popualr more things will be coming out, so i am just planning for the future. I have a nice monitor and nice cables. Not fond of the SSD right now ill give it a while to come down in price for larger sizes.
sunlight readable > your monitor
shielded > your cables

Whatever you want to spend your money on is fine with me, I find it amusing.
Old 05-20-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

looks like a good setup man. stay away from ssd for now.
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

i do have shielded cables so im not sure what you are talking about. Cut the better than me crap cause i dont care what you have or dont have.
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

04CivicLX is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to second Dexx on this, your setup is way overkill and a waste of money. If you want to throw away money you are much better served to get a tranflective screen over a dual core proc and 4 gigs of memory. My 1.8 single-core turion and 1 gig of memory with integrated geforce 6600 graphics are more than necessary for a carpc.

Are planning on putting three screens in the car, and have each person playing a seperate game of crisis?

Liliput are good screen at night time, but during the daytime they suck *****. Why in the hell would you need 1tb of storage in a carpc. I could see a 250-500 if you want a ton of movies. But otherwise you are going to only use a small portion.

Better you waste your money, than me. If it floats your boat go ahead and throw your money away. I would expect someone who has been doing this for years, to understand the computing requirements of a carpc.
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

I dont really have a problem as at the shop right now im making around 1000 a week so money is no issue, plus i wanted to build something that no body has really done before. I can see my screen just fine during the day as my windows are tinted to 20% so there is almost no glare at all.

also i have about 40,000 mp3's and 4,000 music videos so i have quite a bit of stuff
Old 05-20-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe he doesnt want an obsolete setup in a few years that he has to rebuild, or he wants to expand the setup to do more later.
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

There is nothing wrong with dumping money into what will be a pretty bitchin setup! Gear is right, this setup will definitely give you a good 10 years.
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

i see both sides of the argument. Some of his specs are overkill but guess what, there werent very expensive at all to purchase. A 1tb goes for $99 and 4gigs goes for $80 now.

I'm sure if everyone was respecing there car computers it would be similar to his. If i had to redo it again, i would've just bought a lilput screen and a netbook and called it a day.
Old 05-21-2009
Premium Member

yeah really. i cant believe how cheap stuff became. i paid $3k for my PII computer at the time lol. still using it too. my 30 gig hd cost several hundred and just a few yrs ago i got external 100gb for $100. now you can get them for much less. heck you could pick up one of those mini notebooks for $300 and thats quick enough to act like a carpc if you dont want any fancy installs. and most have 100+gigs already.
Old 05-21-2009
Registered!!

You can get one with an air card for only $50 from Radioshack. Then you have interwebz everywhere you drive!
Old 05-21-2009
Registered!!

yeah its cheaper just to buy a 1tb hdd and store it on a shelf then to burn dvds as back ups now. its a commodity now. Just like cars, its just cheaper to buy a better car then to mod it to be fast.
Old 05-21-2009
Registered!!

Nice analogy!
Old 05-21-2009
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice

nice setup...however one thing i wanted to add, being a computer tech, i wanted to say your bed is not the best place to be assembling a computer...i recommend at least a hard wood desk or if you have it a rubber mat which is grounded with a wrist strap because you can cause damage to the logic board/processors and any other component just by touching them ungrounded....also i recommend going with a smaller HDD...1tb drives dont have a reputation of lasting too long and that being in a car will probably kill the drive twice as fast...SSD or a 320-500gb 2.5" drive would be optimal for your use.

i also have mike's (temjin) old carputer dash kit which uses a lilliput screen and is recessed and perfect for daytime use...im too lazy to put a carputer in my dc5

Last edited by ragingSPAM; 05-21-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2009
Registered!!

civcspool will become famous soon enoughcivcspool will become famous soon enough

I hope your PSU is enough to power all your stuff... did u compute the power ? had the same problem before..
and make sure you power screen through regulated PSU

Quick Reply: The new CarPC setup