Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

My Carputer Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: My Carputer Build Thread

thats right dex! you pwn that noob.

personally im getting too lazy to correct these ppl
Old 02-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

you can't hear mine...i only hear the computer speaker when it first boots up...then slience. I have it in the spare tire well and the additional sound damping since i have mercedes helps.
Old 02-26-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
thats right dex! you pwn that noob.

personally im getting too lazy to correct these ppl

I kind of felt bad but nothing he posted was right. It was all wrong.
Old 02-27-2009
Registered!!

KevKevBarkBark is an unknown quantity at this point

wow thats ****in sexy
Old 02-27-2009

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by StardustLily
And seek professional advice on the power required to run it, don't just ask a random person, you will be glad you took the extra 2 seconds to ask a professional.
this is my fav part out of the whole jargon. lol this is what forums are for. to seek help. although we are not "professionals" we know more about this SPECIFIC subject than most "professionals" know. why? because we've done our researched, built our machines, and know the lil problems here and there that could arise in a carputer system.

Originally Posted by StardustLily
P.S. I forgot to mention the liquid cooling idea; yes it dramatically reduces temps, but in a "carputer"...? No...just no...don't do it...you have NO idea how much room for failure there is in that regard while in a car, plus the maintenance kinda sucks, especially if you do it well. If you REALLY want me to explain this, let me know x.x
a liquid cooling system will probably do little for a general carputer that uses a cup of 15w or 20w. however a liquid cooling system is great, especially for his CPU. his CPU will get rather hot because its a 65w processor.

and i have a koolance watercooling kit, thats been running almost 24/7 for the last 4 years, and i havent had a single problem. i changed the water every year, but thats about it.
Old 02-27-2009

Originally Posted by DeX

You forgot your screen. You should get a molex connector for your screen to power it via your power supply. That way you're giving it regulated 12 volt power instead of unregulated and risking the spikes during cranking. It'll save your screen in the long term.
hey dex, my lilliput has a 12v filter box on it. i dont believe it is necessary to use the 12v from the power supply, just the car is fine.

what you u think? should i just run it from the PSU just in case?
Old 02-27-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

a liquid cooling system will probably do little for a general carputer that uses a cup of 15w or 20w. however a liquid cooling system is great, especially for his CPU. his CPU will get rather hot because its a 65w processor.
It'd probably freeze the water. I bet I could run without a CPU fan during the winter, the processor must be freezing in -50 degree weather.

hey dex, my lilliput has a 12v filter box on it. i dont believe it is necessary to use the 12v from the power supply, just the car is fine.

what you u think? should i just run it from the PSU just in case?
I've never seen a regulated Lilliput, only Xenarcs so that's odd. But if it's got a regulator in it then it's actually better not to run it from the power supply because of some reasons I can't remember. So if you're sure it has it then you should be good.
Old 02-27-2009

well, the screen i sold sniperscout has a 12v regulator in it. and the liliput im getting now also has one. uhh oh, lillliup is putting out some great screens!
Old 02-27-2009

hey dex what front end do u use?

and what kinda wifi are u running? i wanna find a strong one, hopefully with N capability.
Old 02-28-2009
You VTEC...I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

yeah i was gonna say the screen has a regulator with it. Well I have discovered that the new hard drive i bought is bad so I am taking it back and going with an SSD.

As far as running the fans and what not off the psu I am just being overly careful and limiting the load on it. Besides with me running them off the car It is easier to tuck the wires out of sight.
Old 02-28-2009

^SSD? dang, unless you have money id say dont do it. just get a simple laptop 2.5" HDD (get two of them) and run them in raid 0. man raid 0 is so quick.
Old 02-28-2009
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

ssd arent that expensive anymore. I am looking at getting a 16gb for OS and misc programs then using usb flash drives for all my music
Old 02-28-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

my lillput came with a regulator and mini fuse. I've had it for over 3yrs plugged directly into 8gauge from my distribution block with no problems.

I'm also just using a regular desktop western digital 7200 special 250gb drive without any problems. I even took it canyon running while the computer was playing music with no problem.

I think your ok with just a laptop hdd unless your running really stiff suspension.

I'm running 5.2k fronts and 8k rears to give a reference.
Old 02-28-2009

i dont know about you, but 16gb will fill up quick. how will u put ur music?

unless you use a 16gb SSD and another hd as a slave...
Old 02-28-2009
Registered!!

i'm guessing he's planning on getting a portable usb or sata drive to store all his music and movies on.
Old 02-28-2009

yea, thatd be a good idea. external esata's are pretty cheap now.
Old 02-28-2009
Registered!!

yeah originally i just planned on getting a netbook and screen then using a portable hdd to store media when i thought about building a carputer for my gf's car. It seemed easier since the netbook already comes with a ssd drive and everything integrated together.
Old 02-28-2009

i just check the prices on SSD and they are ridiculously cheap. wow.
Old 03-01-2009
You VTEC...I-VTEC

yeah the prices have dropped a lot in the past year. i would put all my music ona usb flash drive. i dont have any movies on file so that isnt an issue. 16 gb is more than enough for my purposes

i got the screen in the car today. I also routed all my wires from the screen and usb cable for kpro. tomorrow the computer will be started in the car for the first time.

that screen bezel is going to have to be repainted though. it is way too glossy for my interior. I generally use semi gloss on my interior stuff so it really sticks out.

sleepyriceboi do you need that bezel? i wasnt planning on having it all done this soon but I dont need my extra one now.
Old 03-01-2009
Registered!!

edrulz2003 will become famous soon enough

Quote[ i got the screen in the car today. I also routed all my wires from the screen and usb cable for kpro. tomorrow the computer will be started in the car for the first time.]

just curious what is the purpose of the kpro wires are what not, are you pretty much telling us that you can run kpro in your carputer and be able to tune and all from your touch screen

sorry for stupid question
Old 03-01-2009
Registered!!

i'm guessing he routed his usb cables so he can hook up his kpro to it and load different fuels maps without the use of a laptop.

What he could do is have a usb extension cord connect to the computer to somewhere in his glove blox and attached a usb hub so he can attach multip usb items like iphones, ipods and maybe a usb to obdii connector.

He can then have his carputer display all his odbii data while the cars running similiar to the gtr digital guages.
Old 03-01-2009

i got a bezzel off ebay for like 35bucks. im good...

and the paint i used was "semi gloss" i dont know why it came out so glossy. i didnt chear it because the paint said it didnt need it.
Old 03-01-2009
You VTEC...I-VTEC

Originally Posted by edrulz2003
Quote[ i got the screen in the car today. I also routed all my wires from the screen and usb cable for kpro. tomorrow the computer will be started in the car for the first time.]

just curious what is the purpose of the kpro wires are what not, are you pretty much telling us that you can run kpro in your carputer and be able to tune and all from your touch screen

sorry for stupid question
mostly so i can monitor what my engine is doing. but yes my car can be tuned from the carputer now. because i have kpro i do not need the obd2 connector. i can monitor all that good stuff from the usb cable

did that bezel come with the climate controls and everything?
Old 03-02-2009

^sure did. im really deciding if i want a transflective or just a bigger screen.....so many decision.
Old 03-02-2009
You VTEC...I-VTEC

well it is in the car and running.

one question for you sleepyriceboi...did you have those lines on the screen that move up and down. I tried messing with the phase adjustment but it really didnt help all that much. they arent bad but was jsut wondering if it is something that I am going to have to deal with
Old 03-02-2009

^what do u mean lines? like alignment?
Old 03-02-2009
You VTEC...I-VTEC

kinda like when you video tape a computer monitor using one of the older style video cameras and you get that line that just scrolls down the screen

Last edited by sniperscout; 03-02-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2009

hummm....... i didnt have that problem when i last took it out (last used a few days before shipping to u, just to test it out)

it could be ur comp. have u tried connecting it to some other computer?
Old 03-02-2009
You VTEC...I-VTEC

no i havent...im thinking it might be signal loss/weakening since I am using a 25ft vga cable
Old 03-02-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

hey dex what front end do u use?

and what kinda wifi are u running? i wanna find a strong one, hopefully with N capability.
I'm using RoadRunner for a front end. I wanted something I can easily customize, I'm a developer by profession. As for Wi-Fi, I took it out and I'm not using anything right now. I wanted to set up my Blackberry to automatically connect for OBEX via bluetooth whenever it was detected but my data plan doesn't allow modem usage. I'm still exploring options, maybe a powered receiver, they're about $150 and will work up to a kilometre.
i dont know about you, but 16gb will fill up quick. how will u put ur music?

unless you use a 16gb SSD and another hd as a slave...
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i'm guessing he's planning on getting a portable usb or sata drive to store all his music and movies on.
Guys.....
Originally Posted by sniperscout
ssd arent that expensive anymore. I am looking at getting a 16gb for OS and misc programs then using usb flash drives for all my music
Originally Posted by sniperscout
one question for you sleepyriceboi...did you have those lines on the screen that move up and down. I tried messing with the phase adjustment but it really didnt help all that much. they arent bad but was jsut wondering if it is something that I am going to have to deal with
It's interference, you got your power cables crossing your VGA cables. Separate the 2 or you'll keep getting those lines on your screen. It's the same thing with the power and audio cables except that'll give you a high pitched noise in the speakers instead.

Quick Reply: My Carputer Build Thread