Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Rattle Can Paint Job Kaminari Lip.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008
< My future wife.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Rattle Can Paint Job Kaminari Lip.

So I decided to spray paint my front lip in my garage today.... in 52 degree weather with rain outside. Didn't wash my garage down to get rid of dust. Didn't hang up plastic tarp to guard against dust. HAHA.

I pretty much went AGAINST ALL STANDARDS that are used for painting car parts.
aka..... You need warm and dry weather, an actual spray gun with compressor, NOT a rattle can, and a dust proofed paint booth.

I actually did sand down the lip to my best ability to get all the old white paint off.... JB welded the previous mounting holes shut, and JB welded two huge cracks. Sanded that all down. Primered it twice in black primer with wetsanding and stuff. This took a period of about a month on and off. Today was the actual spraying of the NHBP duplicolor paint though.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg
Views:	1330
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	75224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2969.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	75225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2971.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	75226  

Last edited by armieo; 11-12-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2008
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rattle Can Paint Job Kaminari Lip.

wow looks like it'll turn out great! Get some pics of that **** on!
Old 11-12-2008
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

Haha thanks. I'm going to forego the recommendations to wait 24 hours for the paint to cure before doing anything to it. I'm actually going to wetsand the lip tomorrow and then clearcoat it tomorrow afternoon. Haha. I don't care.

BTW I broke a compact fluorescent bulb in my hallway just now so.. me being overly paranoid of things like mercury poisoning..... I'm wearing my painting headgear inside for a little bit. haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	1177
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	75227  

Last edited by armieo; 11-13-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2008
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa, that came out nice and clean. Looks very professional.
Old 11-13-2008

lol. What kinda pricetag did it cost you for all the painting supplies? I'm planning on getting a kaminari lip kit as well someday down the line. Was it difficult for you to do it?
Old 11-13-2008
< My future wife.

Lip was originally $120 but it arrived cracked from shipping so the guy gave me $60 back.

5oz aerosol duplicolor import auto paint. $6 a can *5 = $30 total
Various grits sandpaper and wetsandpaper approx $20 total
Paint stripper spray $6 a can *2 = $12 total
Black sandable primer $6 a can *2 = $12 total

You're looking at about a $60 cheapo paint job there if you don't have to strip paint.

It wasn't too hard..... just improvise your own method of doing the job. Obviously my conditions weren't ideal but I tried to make the best out of them.... aka I tried not to kick up dirt in my garage.... I picked probably the warmest it will ever be from now until december to paint... I sanded as much as I could to get the base plastic as smooth as possible....... I wetsanded before, in between, and after primering. Etc.

Not hard at all. You pretty much just eyeball it and paint/sand/prep more until you're happy with it. I wasn't going to spend my whole life trying to get it as perfect as possible because let's face it, the color will probably be a little off since it's new paint on a 5 year old semi beat car, so nothing's perfect but I made the best of what I had without spending a fortune.
Old 11-13-2008
< My future wife.

Update: so I decided to wetsand the lip to get rid of some blemishes and all the pearl essentially turned to a flat black. Did some research and found out that you're not supposed to wetsand paint with pearl unless you have additional coats that you want/can put on afterwards. Oh well. I guess I'll scrap this project until next year. And to think I was so close to finishing! Live and learn I guess.
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

svtec is an unknown quantity at this point

if you go to napa they will pu it in a 12oz ca. i did my side skirts. you can get single stage or double stage works great. you sid a great job on your lip.

Last edited by svtec; 11-13-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2008
< My future wife.

thanks man. Like I said, the paint is ruined by my sanding so I'm gonna have to restart this from scratch.

napa mixed nighthawk black pearl paint and put it in an aerosol can for you?
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

yeah the single stage is the color plus clear coat in one but the double stage the clear coat is seprate also it is not as shiney. i bought sinlge stage but if i had to do it again i would get the double i still ended up buying clear and putting some on top. paid like $12.00 bucks a can.

Heres what i bought:
adhesion promoter 1can $6.00
primer 2 cans
then the paint and clear coat
turtle wax rubbing compund and polishing compound.

after i clear coated i wet sanded with 2000 grit sand paper it gets dull but once you use the rubbing compound it brings back the shine.

take your time it took me like 3 weeks working on them when ever i got a chance.

Last edited by svtec; 11-13-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

if you need help just let me know i will do my best. to help i am a noob at it as well.
Old 11-14-2008
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

looks pretty sweet but idk i got base and clear from carquest and reducer, hardener and primer all for around $100 and i paid a paint guy who works at a bodyshop 120 to paint my front and rear lip and grill. so 220 for front and rear lip and my grill and i still have all the materials including aslmost a full quart of base and clear. lots of materials leftover so i can paint whatever i want now.

that was of course before some guys vanalized my car and insurance paid for a full paint job where it all got repainted anyways but what can u do.
Old 11-14-2008
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about

came out great!!!
Old 11-14-2008

damn dude that sucks I really wanted to see how things would have turned out cause I love the kaminari lip!
Old 11-17-2008
Registered!!

CivicDriver03 is on a distinguished road

who u buy it from?
Old 11-17-2008
Registered!!

sandiegan is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish they made more Honda colors in DUplicolor

Paintscratch 12 oz custom cans are freaking $30 a pop
Old 11-18-2008
< My future wife.

which color were you looking for? did you check the duplicolor booklet at the auto store? they often don't carry all the colors in the booklet at the auto store. You have to get it online.
Old 11-21-2008
Registered!!

ampong has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Great job..Looks very professional...