Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Replaced cabin air filter, 1st time in 3 yrs. DIY included.

Old 09-15-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Replaced cabin air filter, 1st time in 3 yrs. DIY included.

Here's a late night posting, if you're bored, continue reading.

Every sunday I work on my car and try to get something done to keep it moving.

Today I replaced my cabin air filter! I haven't done this in oh I don't know, ever. I've had the car three years, never replaced it. Who knows if the previous owner ever replaced it! If they never did then it would have been five years since it was replaced! OM recommends that it be replaced every 12 months.

Next weekend, windshield wipers and battery cleaning!

EDIT: Here's a DIY I wrote as a PM for someone, enjoy!

1) Go to your favorite auto supply store, (I got mine at kragen) walk up to the counter and ask the dude behind the counter "Do you have a cabin air filter in stock for my 2003 Honda Civic LX, (or whatever model/year you have) After he brings it back, pay for it, then tell him "That's right bitch now get into the kitchen and make me a sandwich!"

2) Go home, park your car where ever you want.

3) Go into the passengers side of the car, clean out the glove box.

4) Inside the glove box, you'll see two tabs, one on each side of the box, pop those tabs out, and remove the leg/stopper thing, put it aside.

5) Behind the glove box there is a black plastic cover that snaps on and off, the tab is on the left side of the cover. pop that ish off.

6) After you get the cover off, you'll see another two tabs sticking straight out at you, located on the right side of the square hole that you just uncovered. Pull the tab on the left straight out, it'll remove the filter and the plastic cage thing that is sits in.

7) Go back and find the other tab that's sticking straight out, grab that tab and slide the tab all the way to the left, then pull straight out, it'll remove the second plastic cage.

8) Pull out the old dusty moldy gross air filters, laugh at them, take pictures of them, post them on civicforums, call them dirty bastards, then throw them out.

9) Put the new filters in, make sure they are facing the right way. The "air flow" is printed on the filter itself with an arrow showing which way it goes, (air flow is down.)

10) Then just put it all back together, it's really simple, same things, just in reverse.

11) After all of that, get in the car, turn the air on and bask in the glory that you just installed.

12) Have a cold drink.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	filt.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	74851  

Last edited by Eyger; 09-18-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replaced my cabin air filter, first time in 3 yrs.

Thats gross. I wonder how much crap has build up in mine.
Old 09-15-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Thats gross. I wonder how much crap has build up in mine.
YEah it was gross. I'm glad that I got it replaced. It's crazy easy to replace, and it's super cheap, it's like 13 bucks for the bosch filters.

Oh yeah and now when I turn the air on, it doesn't smell bad.
Old 09-15-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

mine had leaves and junk in it
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

mickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the rough

ive seen worst..where theres lint and bugs inside the filters..
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about

Wow, that's nasty!
Old 09-15-2008
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

in the six years I have owned my car, it has never been replaced. I dont even know where it is at.
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

I clean mine every year. Very easy to change literally takes 2 mins. No smelly cabin in my car.
Old 09-15-2008
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

wow! I have to check mine! I do check every year though.
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

Ti71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drunkenmagnum
in the six years I have owned my car, it has never been replaced. I dont even know where it is at.
It's behind the glove compartment.
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

YuckerDisMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ti71
It's behind the glove compartment.
im gonna need to check it out when i go home. I think its time i change mine.
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

Tdoan14 is a jewel in the roughTdoan14 is a jewel in the roughTdoan14 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by drunkenmagnum
lol, i found that funny.
Old 09-15-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i change it every 6 months and its pretty dirty lol with leaves and bugs. the longest i went was a year, and it was full of crap
Old 09-15-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

mine is real bad!

Haven't changed it ever...

iv looked at em tho
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point

I had two sets so for a while I just brushed and vacumed the hell out of them. There cheaper now, they were $50!
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

NASTY!!!!!!!!!! lol. i need to go check mine...lol!
Old 09-15-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

goto napa and get their gold brand filters for $18 pair. they work really well
Old 09-15-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

no ****^
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

i just recently did this as well. both of mine were disgusting. i was actually thinking about spraying them with a freshener to make the car smell really good, but haven't done it yet.
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HonCiv02
i just recently did this as well. both of mine were disgusting. i was actually thinking about spraying them with a freshener to make the car smell really good, but haven't done it yet.
Tell me how this goes if you ever do it. I've thought about it but never wanted to do it for fear of having some sort of smell in my car forever.
Old 09-15-2008

treva.. is an unknown quantity at this point

mine has bugs and leaves in it.
i thought about spraying some air freshener on it too when i change it
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Tell me how this goes if you ever do it. I've thought about it but never wanted to do it for fear of having some sort of smell in my car forever.
i have a friend who used to spray stuff in his cabin air filter and it made the car smell really good, but it didn't seem to last that long. i wouldn't worry about it staying too long or giving the car a funky odor.
Old 09-15-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Ha ha, i haven't read this since I posted yesterday. This is funny to read about everyone. I remember on several occasions thinking to myself, damn my air condition smells funky. Good thing I got it taken care of. Smell is gone.

Ha I can just see some one getting one of those tree air fresheners and shoving it into the filter to make is smell good.
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

mickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gearbox
goto napa and get their gold brand filters for $18 pair. they work really well

wow they sell it at mi work for like $70 haha
Old 09-15-2008
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Eyger.

How's the progress on your car???
Old 09-15-2008
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sniperscout
mine had leaves and junk in it
ditto along with them boomarang shaped things that fall from trees u know what im talking about lol
Old 09-16-2008
Registered!!

dswami1 will become famous soon enough

u changed both of them rite? there are 2 filters side by side... when i first did it, i forgot to change the second one, untill i realized that there were actually 2
Old 09-16-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by 2005EM2
Hey Eyger.

How's the progress on your car???
Thanks for asking, I appreciate the support. it's goin, little by little. Christian Calim just asked me the same thing, I'm getting the front bumper on very very soon (maybe within a month.) Then after that, 2k high build, then block. I still have a lot of things I have to buy. When I get something good going, I'll definitely post it all up here.

What about you? Got anything goin on with your ride?
Old 09-16-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by dswami1
u changed both of them rite? there are 2 filters side by side... when i first did it, i forgot to change the second one, untill i realized that there were actually 2

Ha ha, yeah I was confused when I bought it in the store, but figured it out at home. The other one was just as dirty as the first!
Old 09-16-2008
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

i change mine a few months ago, it wasnt that bad just full of leaves, no bugs and it was really blackkkk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced cabin air filter, 1st time in 3 yrs. DIY included.