Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Goodbye civic...hello '08 GTI!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008
sleekest 7th gen on the right coast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NightRider02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Goodbye civic...hello '08 GTI!!

well fellas the time has come. After a ton of modding, and a ton of money spent, i decided it was time for an upgrade. I have officially gotten rid of my '02 civic sedan, and have bought an '08 GTI. Let me tell you guys, that this thing is a BEAST. I have found that it is WAY CHEAP to make this thing fast. I'm already pushing 260hp with the apr chip i have added, and when i add a downpipe and intake, while running 104 octane (program added to the chip) i can this bad boy up to 300hp with 305 ft lbs of torque, all for about $1400 total. Definitely beats the K20 i was looking to swap into the civic. But anyways, take care you guys, keep up the modding!

OUT WITH THE OLD...

...IN WITH THE NEW!
Old 02-25-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Goodbye civic...hello '08 GTI!!

Welcome to the 2.0T crew. You prolly want to check your APR numbers against a real dyno since they seem to read a wee bit high. I dont see where you're getting cheap from..... stage 2+ requires a $1100 FSI fuel pump, a full 3" TBE (yet another $1100), an intake, and probably the upgrade intercooler (another $1100).
Have fun with it

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 02-25-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2008

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Welcome to the 2.0T crew. You prolly want to check your APR numbers against a real dyno since they seem to read a wee bit high. I dont see where you're getting cheap from..... stage 2+ requires a $1100 FSI fuel pump, and a full 3" TBE.
Have fun with it
haha, well...cheap compared to how much it would cost to get the civic running that fast
Old 02-25-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

I'm like most here. I'm a honda guy, but I do love the new GTI's. I think they are sexy cars. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 02-25-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NightRider02
haha, well...cheap compared to how much it would cost to get the civic running that fast
Yes and no... dont forget the car is a porker.... doing all that nets you a 102-104 mph trap speed. I'd hardly call that fast. The stock turbo can spike a lot of torque, but it doesnt have the airflow to keep it going. Im not saying it would last long, but a bolt on turbo to the civic would run you a couple grand and you could run the 240ish you'd need on the civic to run that.
The aftermarket is still a little behind on the FSI stuff. The upgrade injectors are stock S3 ones, they still die out at 310ish HP even with the rail pressure pushed up to 130 bar. Once that gets cracked.... i think the flood gates will open up a bit. The stock turbo is a little on the small side, but the OE K04 from the Ed30/S3 seems promising if it wasnt so damn pricey its almost not worth it. Although, I think it'll come down a little bit with the TT-S on the way with the same motor, getting stuff for the K04 setup will be a little easier.
The 2871R kit is like 7200 bucks. This thing isnt terribly cheap in my mind, not to mention the maintenance and parts.
Dont get me wrong, its a nice car, they clean up real nice, they're quite "quick", but they have a little way to go before you can get them "fast".

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 02-25-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^ drink some haterade. lol. thats just like me saying hey your audi sucks get a new car. lol
Old 02-25-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
^^ drink some haterade. lol. thats just like me saying hey your audi sucks get a new car. lol
The mechanical underpinnings of my A3 are identical to his GTI... not that I need to qualify it, but I'm pretty sure that entitles me to constructively criticize the shortcomings of the car.
Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

seadoo2006 will become famous soon enough

Man, I'm trying to sell my civic right now to move into a VW or a BMW....the german cars, while a little bit more expensive if you do the work youself, yeilds so much more fun than the Civic.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Civic, but the 2003 GLI VR6 i just tested was solid at 100 MPH in 4th gear...and it has 2 more to go. Plus, you can run Jetta's with 19x8s and put 255s on it with spacers. You get our Civics up to above 100MPH and all they do is quiver. Plus, the sound deadening and solid construction of the German cars are just unparalleled.
Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

Christ-Soldier is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm a honda head, but I love those gti's. Congrats on the pick up fam, good luck
Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

Spikez1222 is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^^^ Yep, I'm also a Honda head... nothing wrong with German cars, but I think I'll stick with Honda's... That's why I'm pickin' up an 07 Si' soon... congrats on the new ride man! Don't go beatin' TOO many D17's out there, ya hear?!
Old 02-25-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that gti looks sweet!
Old 02-25-2008
Dear Mr. Toilet, I'm The S.H.I.T.

IrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to all

Both sick rides
Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

WgnrNick will become famous soon enoughWgnrNick will become famous soon enough

Gratz on the new ride, it looks good.

Wagner
Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

hahaha38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with the car man.Its sad that you voided your warranty so soon.You will need it.How many miles on the car now??
Old 02-25-2008

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
hahahaha
Old 02-26-2008

Yes and no... dont forget the car is a porker.... doing all that nets you a 102-104 mph trap speed. I'd hardly call that fast. The stock turbo can spike a lot of torque, but it doesnt have the airflow to keep it going. Im not saying it would last long, but a bolt on turbo to the civic would run you a couple grand and you could run the 240ish you'd need on the civic to run that.
The aftermarket is still a little behind on the FSI stuff. The upgrade injectors are stock S3 ones, they still die out at 310ish HP even with the rail pressure pushed up to 130 bar. Once that gets cracked.... i think the flood gates will open up a bit. The stock turbo is a little on the small side, but the OE K04 from the Ed30/S3 seems promising if it wasnt so damn pricey its almost not worth it. Although, I think it'll come down a little bit with the TT-S on the way with the same motor, getting stuff for the K04 setup will be a little easier.
The 2871R kit is like 7200 bucks. This thing isnt terribly cheap in my mind, not to mention the maintenance and parts.
Dont get me wrong, its a nice car, they clean up real nice, they're quite "quick", but they have a little way to go before you can get them "fast".
a porker?? same stock specs, but my car weighs 163 lbs less than yours! hahahahahaha...boo yow!
Old 02-26-2008

thanks for all the positive feedback guys!
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeah i forgot to add. sick ride! im jealous. lol
Old 02-26-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by NightRider02
a porker?? same stock specs, but my car weighs 163 lbs less than yours! hahahahahaha...boo yow!
I didnt say the Audi wasnt a pig...
What options did you get? Just wondering.... I went back and forth quite a bit between a 4 dr GTI w/ Autobahn or the A3 w/ the S-line... finally settled on the A3 because all the controls felt better (I couldnt get over the squishy VW brakes, some setting in the Audi brake assist is different, the Steering assist is both speed and throttle responsive whereas the GTI is speed only and the turning headlights and auto wipers might be the coolest gimmicks ever), the seats were more comfortable and I liked the looks... not to mention you cant get a blue GTI here (while in europe it comes in 14 shades of blue).
Yeah, its a little heavier... its a got a bunch more sound deadening in it, 3" longer and has a couple extra windows. Doesnt bother me too much, its a pretty good car to bomb around in, I kept the civic to go fast (I didnt really want to take a 30K car to the race track).
Put the cars side by side you see the similarities, and the differences.

Drop a GTI an inch and a half, its still taller than the A3.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 02-26-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2008

I didnt say the Audi wasnt a pig...
What options did you get? Just wondering.... I went back and forth quite a bit between a 4 dr GTI w/ Autobahn or the A3 w/ the S-line... finally settled on the A3 because all the controls felt better, the seats were more comfortable and I liked the looks... not to mention you cant get a blue GTI here (while in europe it comes in 14 shades of blue).
Yeah, its a little heavier... its a got a bunch more sound deadening in it, 3" longer and has a couple extra windows. Doesnt bother me too much, its a pretty good car to bomb around in, I kept the civic to go fast (I didnt really want to take a 30K car to the race track).
Put the cars side by side you see the simlarities, and the differences.

Drop a GTI an inch and a half, its still taller than the A3.
The A3 is definitely a nice car. I just like that its a little more compact than the A3 and looks a little bit sportier to me. the side of the A3 kinda looks like a protege to me...well, from the front doors forwards (no offense or anything). Its a 6 speed, what kind of options are you asking about? I do have an ipod adapter if that counts, hahaha
Old 02-26-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

I guess VW dropped the packages for 08.... for 08 your options are really the plaid cloth with or without sunroof, or the Autobahn package (leather, stereo amp and sunroof), and the Nav.
I just wish the R32 was a stick... would have solved the problem completely. Too bad neither the R32 or the A3 3.2Q are available here with it. I tried it, but just couldnt stand the DSG.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 02-26-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2008

I guess VW dropped the packages for 08.... for 08 your options are really the plaid cloth with or without sunroof, or the Autobahn package (leather, stereo amp and sunroof), and the Nav.
I just wish the R32 was a stick... would have solved the problem completely. Too bad neither the R32 or the A3 3.2Q are available here with it. I tried it, but just couldnt stand the DSG.
i have the plaid seats, sunroof, ipod connector, and some other things i cant think of at the moment, haha. I really wish i had gotten the factory lip kit, and the nav system wouldve been nice too, but oh well. it came out to $27,000 total. i got the base wheels only cause i knew i would be switching them out anyways.

yea its a bummer that the R32 only comes in DSG. Thats pretty lame if you ask me. With the APR chip though, my car is 14 hp faster than a stock R32
Old 02-26-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

its not so much the power... Its the awd that makes the car what is... An a4 is too whimpy, so the first manual awd option vw/audi has with a sporty orientation is the 45k TT.... And that's showing in the lack of r32 sales... Only around half of them have gone so far.
cheap cosmetic upgrade... Get the stock euro front lip. It looks much better, its not terribly expensive. The votex parts are nuts.... The stock sideskirts for my car are 560 unpainted... Not sure I wanna know what painting them that color is gonna be, nor am I sure a body shop can match it. We'll see about that. Ive already got the euro springs on it... Still waiting for euro tails, the euro headlight switch and wheels.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 02-26-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

guess i should call a BS on this thread cuz anyone can post an image of a car and claim it thiers right? hahah!! w/e!

anyhow, nice GTi buddie!
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

hate to see you go night! good luck with the new car!!
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

DSG IS BADASS!!!!!Its just something about being able to shift within .3 seconds thats just wow. Just wait till the R36 comes out. ewwww
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

SSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura about

the rims set the car really well and matches the grille
Old 02-26-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by hahaha38
DSG IS BADASS!!!!!Its just something about being able to shift within .3 seconds thats just wow. Just wait till the R36 comes out. ewwww
Yeah great.... the clutches can shift in .3 seconds, now if they did something about the 1/2 second delay between pulling the paddle and the tranny starting its .3 second shift we'd be getting somewhere. Not to mention you cant do multi-gear downshifts and the damn thing doesnt have a rev-limiter.... it upshifts for you, even in manual mode. So when you redline it and pull the paddle, you can actually end up upshifting 2 gears if the car beats you to it.
In principle its not bad, but it has a ways to go before it can be a true performance transmission. As it sits right now, there's still too much automaticness in it.
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

All of that can be solved with a little bit of Vdubb coding know how.But there are updates for the delay in pedal pushing to tranny shifting problems.Oh and the 08 models ive driven didnt shift for me it just held at the line.
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

seadoo2006 will become famous soon enough

I'm still more of a purest....there isn't any replacement for 3 pedals and 5/6 gears

Quick Reply: Goodbye civic...hello '08 GTI!!