Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

New Car, new to modding

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KvNdAi is an unknown quantity at this point
New Car, new to modding

Hey guys so I bought a 2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7VTECH.

Well basically i've been looking up some mods for my car because im totally getting into modding, but i have no clue what's going on. I understand some car language, but most of the time i have really no clue what's going on. It would be great if you guys could help me out with my problem by explaining it a bit.

so my problem is: i have 1300 dollars and would like to add a body kit to my car. i was thinking about octane r34, but i would like feedback on that. also I dont think that will use up all my money, so i was wondering what other features i could mod on my car. Anything to improve it will be ok.

In the end i would like it to be my greatest project of all haha. So it would be great if you guys can help me. Thanks!

PS i'll see if i can upload some pictures of my car.

here is the car i WANT to mod it into, i dont know if it's any good, but it looks real nice. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2180103
Old 10-16-2007
Look at me im a supporting member

civicfan1203 is just really nicecivicfan1203 is just really nicecivicfan1203 is just really nicecivicfan1203 is just really nice
Re: New Car, new to modding

i dont dig the doors hood trunk or tails but other than that it us pretty cool i have learned one good thing on this site and that is keep it nice and stock looking just search the site and see what all people on here are doing to there cars and you will see but its your car so do what you want
Old 10-16-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

READ THIS AND WATCH THE VIDEO
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-acronyms.html

Also most people wont agree with a bodykit unless u plan on boosting... Also with that civic you posted, dont put the wing on it, dont put the eyelids on it, and dont change the tail lights to alteezas.... with $1300 you should go all out suspension, and your vic will be a blast to drive.

take a look at dezod.com
and truehonda.com

also happy modding
Old 10-16-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

Since you are new to modding. Here's a warning in advance. You'll need a nice chunk of change to mod your car. You'll probably even regret modding some of your car, or even all of it. Most people always spend more than they intend to. I know I did that. However, I got wiser now. No more mods for me anymore. I'm keeping my car till spring, and selling it to get an S2K, and I'm not modding it.

Anyways, I know my comments won't prevent you from modding. So happy modding to ya.....

Oh btw, one advice when buying parts, don't buy ebay cheap parts, get brand named parts. Ebay no name stuff is crap.

Originally Posted by LT2004ever
with $1300 you should go all out suspension, and your vic will be a blast to drive.
Totally agree, suspension mods will make his car fun to drive. I know that's my favourite mod on my ride, even though it doesn't have much done to it.
Old 10-16-2007
You VTEC...I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

I would steer clear of buying an expensive intake, exhaust mani, and exhaust if you are hoping for a performance boost. You will waste your money. Those things on our stock motors dont really do anything. It sounds like you want your body kit so get that. but like what lt2004ever said go suspension after that. Do some research though before you go buying the first r34 bodykit you find. Try and design your car to what you want and not just copy what someone else has done. You will be more pleased with the results if it is in fact your creation.
Old 10-16-2007
7th Gen Photographer

LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light

Man... I'm almost $16,000 into it with parts, labor and expensive mistakes. Body kits are the biggest waste of time and money possible. Get a good set of coilovers, some sway bars and eBay intake and a decent cat-back exhuast and then save your money for college or something!
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

coilovers or a good spring/strut combo, rsx 19mm rear sway, neuspeed strut tower bar, 04-05 civic front sway, ebay cold air intake with an aem dryflow or K&N filter, and you've got a nice chunk left over, and a car that is going to be much more fun to drive. i'd say throw some wheels on too if you don't have any, but nothing bigger than a 16. don't waste money on body kits and stuff, you'll regret it later on.
Old 10-16-2007
The Random King of the Posts

01civicriderex is a glorious beacon of light01civicriderex is a glorious beacon of light01civicriderex is a glorious beacon of light01civicriderex is a glorious beacon of light01civicriderex is a glorious beacon of light

i'll sell you a good dc sport tcs2 exhaust cheap..
Old 10-16-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

just some tips...

its your car.. u dont want it looking liek another car. if your THAT new to modding you should seriously invest time into looking at what youre abotu to buy and reading reviews.. not jsut asking questions.. searching will yeild you more answers than a new thread. you better hold on to that 1300 and know exactly what your buying and why

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-plz-help.html
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

Ok thanks for all the input!

I looked around for some coilovers and they are all around $1200+. are those considered the "good" set of suspentions? or are the $300 ones sufficient?

Also you guys said to stay clear of body kits, so does that mean i should piece the parts together myself by buying them separatly? or just stay away from modding my exterior in general?
Old 10-16-2007

civicfan1203 is just really nicecivicfan1203 is just really nicecivicfan1203 is just really nicecivicfan1203 is just really nice

you should do what you want most people on here like the lip kits and stuff like that but you should just do what makes you happy like i have been told you are the one that drives it right
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

if you put a big huge body kit on your car, you're gonna get made fun of on the internet. my two cents. haha.
Old 10-16-2007
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

lol. peronally, id keep it OEM styled, getting some 2004 OEM Civic Taillights, a 2004 civic bumper, OEM lip kit, tinted windows, maybe some foglights, some rims, and drop it like 1.5" on like eibachs ($200)
Old 10-16-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KvNdAi
Hey guys so I bought a 2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7VTECH.
you must be talking about the ever so popular VTECH swap that has become quite the rage these days.

Seriously though, take that $1300, get a nice set of coilovers, some nice tires and go have some fun. Save up and get some light wheels. Out of everything I have done to my car, the suspension was the most beneficial. Listen to everyone who has been modding these cars for years. Dont waste your money on intake, headers, or exhaust.
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

gsniper666 has a spectacular aura aboutgsniper666 has a spectacular aura aboutgsniper666 has a spectacular aura about

my .o2..... look into alotta dtuff on here... Dezod.com makes a great turbo kit... but it is a labor intensive project...
... there are alot of lip kits out there that look good... and some body kits... its nice to see someone who is out for some info before goin at stuff....

stock taillights seem to be the best....
the clean look IS in....
its hard to gain performance out of 01 civic unless u go swap.... or turbo....
suspension set-ups make the car very fun to drive....
before u decide anything... look around at what the site has to offer on the subject...
coilovers tend to be price relavent... as in... the better they r./.. the more they tend to cost... but conditions apply
body kits are alright... but when it messes with the body lines... it looks bad
use the search button.... its way helpful
and ask any questions u need....
Old 10-16-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Envy
lol. peronally, id keep it OEM styled, getting some 2004 OEM Civic Taillights, a 2004 civic bumper, OEM lip kit, tinted windows, maybe some foglights, some rims, and drop it like 1.5" on like eibachs ($200)
you cant just get a 2004 civic bumper and slap it on...

i think OP is trying to tell us something so listen up..

body kits and lip kits ARE two different things..
you can still mod the exterior of your car very tastefully.. lip kits are only add-ons to your existing bumpers, body kits are brand new, complete, cheap quality fiberglass (most times), bumpers. you can definately peice together a nice lip kit... body kits are a bit harder to peice together or buy as a whole AND show them off nicely. it takes a bit more style and creativity to make them look tasteful...
Old 10-16-2007
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spoonEM
you must be talking about the ever so popular VTECH swap that has become quite the rage these days.

beat me to it...
Old 10-16-2007

Originally Posted by DsevenEm2
you cant just get a 2004 civic bumper and slap it on...

i think OP is trying to tell us something so listen up..

body kits and lip kits ARE two different things..
you can still mod the exterior of your car very tastefully.. lip kits are only add-ons to your existing bumpers, body kits are brand new, complete, cheap quality fiberglass (most times), bumpers. you can definately peice together a nice lip kit... body kits are a bit harder to peice together or buy as a whole AND show them off nicely. it takes a bit more style and creativity to make them look tasteful...

^^^^^
agreed
Old 10-16-2007
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

just like your body, bad parts will do bad things:

Old 10-16-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice

hmmm after everyone has advised u in long essays .. ill keep it short in breaking up ur $1300.

17inch wheels .. $700
lowering springs .. $200
Camber kit w/align $200
Tint ..... $100
Ebay Yellow Fogs . $ 60
wash and wax ur car $40

The look on ur face after u get all the above done .... PRICELESS !!!!

now rep me !!!
Old 10-16-2007
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

1300 k swap nuff said.... lol idk is that what there going for these days i know you can get a full b series for that money... don't know much about k pricing.
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

chkolny will become famous soon enoughchkolny will become famous soon enough

i see that your really going for the flashy look, judging by the link, i do believe that the big ol body kit is not the way to go, the cost of the kit and a good paint job will prolly set you over the 1300 also. With the cash you should instead, get a drop, the rims, headlights/tailights, tint, fogs, and with that you will deff be much happier than a big body kit, we ALL went through the body kit fad, but we all get out of it, and you will too,
Old 10-16-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CivicHatch9one
1300 k swap nuff said.... lol idk is that what there going for these days i know you can get a full b series for that money... don't know much about k pricing.
yea theres a higher demand for K series... the motor itself goes for > $3000.. full swap with tuning yah try in the $6000 range give or take $1000
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

Ok so i think im going to invest in some good suspensions possibly coilovers. also if i get a lip kit can i slap on some side skirts also?

i have 17' rims right now so thats ok. stock spoilers and back tinted windows.

what lip kits do you guys suggest?
Old 10-17-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

OEM lip kit, or Type B front with any sides and a 04-05 rear bumper
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Envy
just like your body, bad parts will do bad things:

^^^ aw gross i just ate

:
-look into the diys on this site
-cleaning supplies(duster, washing/waxing products)
-upgrade speakers and headunit
-coilovers or a shock/strut combo is perfectly fine + camber kit
-rsx swaybar
-neuspeed strut bar
-foglights(ebay)
-grill(ebay)
-tint
-rims <17"
-lip kit
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

HFP body kit (Honda factory Performance)

DOnt rice it!

id get the lowering coils first myself, 200.00
if you have 17's then cool, 0.00
Tint, check! 0.00
youll need a camber kit more then likely for the lowering kit^ 200.00 w/install

still money left^ lawls!

so....cant remember what you all have but....

CAI 200.00
Full exhaust upgrade to 2.25" w.muffler 300-400.00 depending?

Still oney left^ More Lawls!!

Yeeeee!
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

popee will become famous soon enough

with 1300 u can actually do alot...

here the lip kit url link http://www.streetstyler.com/01-03Civ...ipSpoilers.htm 315 ship if u live in the states its abs plastic its mades from the same material as ur bumpers

than get my tiens springs make sure its for a coupe not sedan or the back of ur car will sag. if u plan to drop ur car no more than a 1inch u dont need a camber kit. but anything higher i'll need it. Heres the url link for the Springs http://www.racinglab.com/tein-st-ska22-aub00.html about 170
Heres the url link for the camber kits http://iapdirect.com/home.php?cat=355
roughly around 170

Lip Kit - 315 usd
Springs- 170 usd
camberkit-170usd
total- 655

and whatever is left over u can pay to get it install and paint..
and watever is left over from that u can get some audio..
Old 10-17-2007
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute

this is what i would do with 1300.

type r lip :60 bucks
paint lip :50 bucks
oem sides & rear :620 bucks from honda painted
gold lines springs :150ish
Tokico HP struts :350ish
Camber kit: 200 bucks

total: 1430. alittle more than you have but its done right.

Install it all yourself
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough

For exhaust a popular cat-back seems to be the Magnaflow. 2.25" with 4" tip and its nice and deep. Plus it falls right under $400 atleast thats what I got it for back in 05.

Oh, I'd advise to stay away from carbon fiber parts if its a daily driver that sits out in the weather.. My hood cracked a couple months after I got it, though I still love it, but wouldn't do it again.

Lowering springs are cheaper and unadjustable, where coil-overs are adjustable and from what I hear give a better ride.

Have fun with it though, and DEFINATELY check out www.dezod.com

Quick Reply: New Car, new to modding