Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!
View Poll Results: Paint drums?
Paint drums flat black.
45.71%
Paint drums gloss black.
28.57%
You ricer. Leave them as is.
25.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

paint drums or no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007
< My future wife.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
paint drums or no?

Hey all I know I posted a thread a while back saying my ride is finally complete... and some of you told me it's never complete... Which is true in some respects. I have all the major things done... aka rims, lip kit, tint, drop, tails, BOH. I was wondering though.... I painted my calipers a gloss black about 2-3 years ago and was wondering if you think a flat or gloss black would look good on my drum brakes? I know it's kinda ricey but I'm thinking the drums look soo ugly and at least I'm not considering painting them red yellow or blue or some loud color like that. Here are some pics of my car.

Last edited by armieo; 10-13-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all
Re: paint drums or no?

I have the same problem on my 06' civic because i too have drums on the rear, however...

i wont be painting squat until i strip down an EX from the scrapyard for all the disc brake parts for the rear, then ill paint all the calipers at that point.
Till then....

I think drums are ghey painted imho!

nice car btw!!
Old 10-13-2007
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

take them off, lightly sand them, clean them, paint gloss black, let dry, put back on car. Take about 1.5 hours total.
Old 10-13-2007
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

Painted drums > rusted drums. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but I'm thinking gloss black would be abit much. Go with mate black if anything. Make your drums fade into the car, not stand out.
Old 10-13-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

flat black is cool.... still love ur wheels..
Old 10-13-2007
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

i was always told.. painting drums is bad news because it holds heat in and warps the drums... but i may have been mis informed... drums ftl rear disc ftmfw
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

Not sure about the heat and warping issue, but if i were to do it... It would be flat black.
Old 10-13-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Why would you say it's ricey? I don't get that.
I painted mine gloss black, looks much better than rust.
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

ciVictoria will become famous soon enoughciVictoria will become famous soon enough

I'm going to paint mine flat black.
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CivicHatch9one
i was always told.. painting drums is bad news because it holds heat in and warps the drums... but i may have been mis informed... drums ftl rear disc ftmfw

+1 FTW
Old 10-13-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

Flat black is cleaner looking. Gloss black stands out more though. It depends if you want it stand out, or you just want to get rid of that rust look.

My vote is for flat black, but it depends what you like.
Old 10-13-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Gloss black FTW. It's much easier to clean and doesn't stain as much as flat black, plus when it's dirty it looks like flat black anyway. Mine have been painted gloss black for about three years now and are just now starting to flake. They were done with rattle can Rustoleum.

Agreed. Painted > rusted every time.
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

gloss black. it looks better on a black car, they dont stand out either.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2317 (Medium).JPG
Views:	713
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	72826  
Old 10-13-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

gloss black
Old 10-13-2007
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

car looks hot, love the drop, r those 18s? i say just flat black, it doesnt stand out, and keeps rust away
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

I painted mine 2 weeks ago. I took a lot of pix, planned on making a DIY. I just have not gotten around to it yet. Here are some of the pix.

This is all you need

Here is what you start with

I left them on the car and just wire wheeled the heck out of them.

Here it is all clean.

And ready for paint.

Durring the painting process.

Post painting.

Finished product: Kind of a bad pic, sorry.

Old 10-13-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

go glossy black...

nice 3/4 DIY Matt
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

i vote flat black.
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

85gp4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a SSM Civic with black rims, so I painted my hubs silver. The black rims against the black hubs made the rims look like steelies. Some may say it looks ghey, or rice. Who cares.... it's my car. It makes the wheels stand out more and the hubs are almost the same color as the car. Point is, if you want to paint your hubs, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

ciVictoria will become famous soon enoughciVictoria will become famous soon enough

Painting the rear drum in any other color but black looks kinda lame, BUT that silver doesn't look bad at all!
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

I like the black, it hides the brake drum so all people notice are the wheels. If you want the wheel to have a good contrast then silver it is. But a drum in any other color is rice.
Old 10-13-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i hate my rust color lol. i got some gloss black but too lazy and now its getting cold. but def worth doing.
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

Syke Fu will become famous soon enough

Meh.... i wouldn't bother with it.
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

Here is what NOT to do.

Yes, I am about to post it in the ricer section.
Old 10-14-2007
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 85gp4
from far away that almost looks as if you converted the drums to discs

anyways should stay with black drums on a black car
Old 10-14-2007
Registered!!

ALpha5 has a valid point here!

DO NOT paint your drums yellow! oooF!
Old 10-14-2007
Registered!!

brent_01civic_e is an unknown quantity at this point

But yes too pink!....
Old 10-14-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

thanks greencivic. yeah at first the poll said keep them as is. But now people are saying paint em. speedfoos has a point though..... gloss black when dirty looks like flat black....... and my calipers are gloss black so i think i'm going to go with gloss even though everyone says flat.
Old 10-14-2007
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

alpha5 why didnt you just take the drums off to paint them? you risk big time overspray onto your paint when i did my calipers i taped off everywhere around my fenders and around when i was done the news paper i taped on had overspray on it. or last time i used a tarp, so i imagine my paint would have it too if ididnt. but drums come off real easy...
what i do to be safe... the overspray is fine and the pics dont show it but still...

Old 10-14-2007
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

85gp4, your wheels are sick.

Quick Reply: paint drums or no?