Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Gonzo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
Re: Rebuild Time - First Startup Vid on Page 167!!! - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!!

damn....the things i miss when i don't check this forum for a couple of days....
Old 07-27-2008
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Rebuild Time - First Startup Vid on Page 167!!! - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!!

She sounds freakin' sweet!
Old 07-27-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by filipinop1405
damn that thing sounds mean! nice vid by the way clint. hope things run better from now on for the both of you guys! i need to look for a block so i can build my engine before putting in the car... i'll start looking again after my wedding...
Thanks Jay, I really like the sound of it as well. When's the wedding?

Originally Posted by DaRk_MauL
nice work done again clint, but still i would be carefull you dont know if the valve did bend or not if they dont seal they wont cool down and they'll get burned.
Yeah, I ordered a stock replacement head that I'm going to swap my and valve springs to when it gets here. I'm not going to take any chances with this one.

Originally Posted by FoSho
Well I use hondabond or toyota black silicone. Not sure whats avail. to you. Maybe RTV Silicone? Blue or green **** I think...Take the valve cover off clint...you'll surely see if a valve is bent. It'll look like your p***s....==^=D haha. (note. image may be larger than actual size)
I did take the VC off Avery. They're not bent. And you need to quit peeping through my windows. Airline tickets are killer these days.

Originally Posted by FoSho
Checked car after cooling down and last drive. Found Coolant reservior down the exact same again and the radiator low 2 cap fills. So now instead of pushing I'm losing coolant? WTF.....I topped the radiator off and did not bleed the system or top of the resi. So i want to see what happens now. I am still not overheating ever, burning coolant every, smoking, misfiring, leaking coolant pressure, leaking coolant....nothing!! I am so doubtfounded...and as a mechanic it is very frustrating. Only thing I can do is wait till work on monday and pressure test the system with my boroscope down her throat. The head and block are straight and this engine has never ever made it's way past the middle mark on the temp gauge.

1 thing I did find strange. When I get done driving the top and bottom hoses are hot. So is the top radiator tank/neck. So I know there is coolant there. The coolant resi has not lost or gained any at this point after driving. It is in the exact spot I left it at to monitor push/lose. So this means I am losing the coolant out of the radiator during cool down and the radiator cap is trying to do it's job by refilling the system. So put on your detective hat and think for me! I'm off to the bar tonight....my car made me mad.
**** it. It works. You have to check the coolant every week or so. Pressure test and scope like you said, then I'd just leave it alone.

Originally Posted by emjay
wat exhaust u got clint ?
I made a 3" setup with a Summit glasspack as a resonator and a Summit turbo muffler as the muffler. It works for now, but when I get back to the states, I'm going to replace it with a stainless setup using v-bands and mandrel bends. Right now she's all pie cuts and 3-bolt flanges.

Originally Posted by tuningmycivic
damn....the things i miss when i don't check this forum for a couple of days....
Gotta stay on top of things Tony!

Originally Posted by Wolfgang5884
She sounds freakin' sweet!
Thanks Scott! Hopefully I can MOT her this week!
Old 07-27-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

Whoa! I just got caught up. That was a close call. Luck was with you - no damage and it was an easy fix!
Old 07-27-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

hey clint the wedding is aug 23, 2008.
Old 07-27-2008
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

^ where at yo? in Fay or near?

and the obligatory midget monkeys pic for being off-topic

Last edited by tuningmycivic; 07-27-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2008
Registered!!

and apparently, they have a band
Old 07-27-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tuningmycivic
^ where at yo? in Fay or near?

and the obligatory midget monkeys pic for being off-topic
in fay bro on base actually...
Old 07-27-2008

Woot! Monkeys and Midgets!!!! In a Band!!!!!

Tony is officially exempt from the picture requirement from this and any other thread I make for the rest of my life!

Start running Jay. It's not too late.
Old 07-27-2008
Registered!!

^ woot!!

and about running, you gotta slow her down first though...crowbar to the knee worked for Tonya Harding
Old 07-27-2008
Registered!!

you guys are crazy.. she's a great one!! i'll keep her!
Old 07-28-2008
Registered!!

7thgen_vic will become famous soon enough

Nice work clint, glad to see her running again =) Gl with the head
Old 07-28-2008

Thanks Nick!

Took her out today, babied her for a bit, listening to everything, checking all the gauges for about 3 miles......

and then blew the doors off her at 9.5psi!!

Goddamn that was fun! Leaned out the tune a little bit and she runs much better, but I still need to work on my boost transition AFRs. But it's running strong and no leaks!

Oh and I discovered that Steve will need to run a slightly bigger O-ring (or use RTV like I did) on the stock MAP sensor of the the jdmfabtech IM because I was having some idle surge issues and saw that it was leaking (sprayed water on it and it sucked into the intake). Gerry, you might want to make that hole just a titch smaller.
Old 07-28-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Brake clean works better to find vacuum leaks goober...water...geez.....get me a juice box
Old 07-28-2008

Water means less chance of detonation, which means safer, plus brake cleaner can eat powder coating. You should ask your boss at the Honda dealership to pay you less. You can get him a juice box too.
Old 07-28-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

haha...your right I get paid way too much!! I don't do anything all day but talk to you guys! Thats why I'm driving a busted turbo civic and an 86 nissan pickup(twinkie)....we should trade paychecks...maybe my engine might be built :P
Old 07-28-2008
Registered!!

glad that you got her going again and having fun with her!
Old 07-29-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

dont call ur civic busted .. the money u spent on this **** or have, u coulda easily made payments on a nice used g35 ... civic + boost = 20grand budget IMO ... with the money im spending on build and **** ... i can get myself an s2k .. but 300whp el > s2k

JUST BECAUSE IM GONA GET ONE ANYWAY IN 1 yr why not have bothhh
Old 07-29-2008
Registered!!

It is busted....never have I had such issues. I'm done several b series turbo kits...including my 2nd project car w/ a fully built b16 tuned on crome. That engine is 400whp+ and never has had an issue w/ headgaskets. Never.

My block is straight and so is my head. All brand new gaskets and no leaks what so ever. I do headgaskets on these civics all the time so I am pretty familiar with em. Mine is the only one to have issues. It passes every headgasket test with flying colors. No overheating, No burning, no leaking, no hydrocarbons in coolant, & nothing on plugs. I even boroscoped hot & cold w/ pressure on cylinders. Nothing. I am even running richer and only at 4 psi to avoid a lean spot in my emanage. She's got headstuds on 80 ft lbs aswell.....only thing I can think of is headlift at TDC when boost is happening. This being due to not tuning my ignition w/ emanage. I am stumped and so are all of my mechanics. You can almost measure accurately how much coolant goes "missing" everytime on cool down. It has to be the headgasket.

The funny thing is before it never overheated & aswell passed headgasket tests but she pushed coolant. Now I got a new headgasket that worked for a little over a month and now my coolant is just gone....

I think I'm gonna put hondata on it and one more headgasket...maybe a new head aswell. If it doesn't fix it this thing is gone.

I feel really stupid/frustrated. I have never had a car stop me in my tracks except mine. I think I should just hang up my mechanic hat

Last edited by FoSho; 07-29-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2008
Registered!!

damn fosho, i'm sorry to hear about that shyt. don't give up bro! you'll figure it out. hopefully the hondata will fix the problem like you were saying with headlift. just a thought and also a curious question... is our blocked decked? or can it be decked? i'm not sure if i'm asking the right question... but the only reason why i ask is because i read in june's HondaTuning that it helps with the seal between the block and the head but they were also talking about sleeving the block so i could be wrong. just a thought. anyways best of luck to all those with projects!!
Old 07-29-2008
Registered!!

double post!
Old 07-29-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

hmm .. u keep blowing HG at 4psi with ARP head studs torqued at 80 ... my only guess is ur tune man ... who cares about 4psi .. there was a member who blew a HG driving on 1 psi for 50 min str8 or sumthing .. and he popped it. Its all in the tune tune tune .... my first tuner .. paid him 550 and my HG blew on the dyno

second tuner paid him 550 .. made 25 more whp and i've been boosted for 8 months with no problems ... minus that random spike thing i still have which will get fixed with kpro since andy confirmed its my FIC bogging and cutting out causing a misfire
Old 07-29-2008
Registered!!

I dunno. I'm still up in the air on this one. I can find no evidence of leak or blown headgasket. My head tech thinks I'm just running too hot and evaporating alittle everytime. He said he as seen some performance cars do that in the past. Plus it is 100+ degrees here.

Plus I was thinking the tune but it runs friggin great for a emanage. Hondata will tell.

You can deck the block...how much I'm not sure. I know it can't be very much at all...maybe a human hair.........
Old 07-29-2008
Registered!!

yea they said that golden eagle does it between i think .003-.005 inch step is what they deck the block to but hey i'm no mechanic and i just read read read and i always hear that the tune is the most important thing also.. so i would agree with the tune and going k-pro which you are... hope it helps
Old 07-30-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

tune means everything for them turbo cars. 30lbs of boost on andys car had no coolant leak good compression everything checked out ok I pulled the headgasket off his block not one bit of damage it looked like it just came out the package from honda (ARP studs at 80ftlbs). Head gaskets can do weird things some times check your tailpipe to see if you can smell the anti freeze I have had a headgasket that did not burn any coolant but pushed air into the coolant system and I have heard of them burning coolant and not pushing air into the coolant system. I kinda doubt that coolant is just evaporating out of the system I have heard of that before but Our engines don't usually run that hot they usually stay some were around 180 to 195 degrees ECT. when you start hitting 200 the car starts to over heat and when you hit over 212-215 the car does not run smooth at all. Also its a closed system so even if it did evaporate it should still condense somewhere in the coolant system. check you oil cap and smell it to see If you are dumping the extra coolant into the oil. you might be dumping it into one of the oil passages and not into the cylinder. good luck with it though.
Old 07-30-2008
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all

Is the turbo water and oil cooled?? I ask because you could have a leak at the turbo but the heat is evaporating the coolant immediately. Sucks man, I had a b20 swapped DC_4 that did the same thing but it was n/a. I couldnt figure out for the life of me where the coolant was going, turned out to be the heatercore, but found out only after I spent tons of dough throwing other parts at it and testing like no other.

Last edited by familycar; 07-30-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2008
Registered!!

Only oil cooled.....ya I thought heater core too but nope...pulled everything apart & leak tested...nothing. dry as a bone

Haven't filled the coolant for 3 days and no overheat.........reservoir has dropped right at min line and not dropped anymore. The radiator is still 1 cap low of coolant......We'll see if the reservoir goes any lower
Old 07-30-2008
Registered!!

damn fosho i really hope you figure it out!
Old 07-31-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

holy **** my post posted

hmmm wasn't going up so I just shut it down figured it didn't post.

man the company that runs this sight has been seriously slacking the past couple of months!
Old 07-31-2008

A capfull isn't that bad though really. As long as she doesn't push or pull any more coolant, you won't have to torch it and claim the insurance on it.

Maybe your car just likes coolant.

Quick Reply: Gonzo.