Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Gonzo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008
Turbo Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Rebuild Time Baby!!! (Pg. 154) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!!

The ecus are identical. The programming of the ecu's are identical. Al kpro is the same. I ran a k20a2 map for 2 1/2 hours on the drive to my first tuning session.
Old 06-24-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andyman97
The ecus are identical. The programming of the ecu's are identical. Al kpro is the same. I ran a k20a2 map for 2 1/2 hours on the drive to my first tuning session.
This was all a dream Andy. Those girls were also in it, the ones with the big thingies and you kept motorboating them. A dream. Remember?
Old 06-24-2008
Supercharged k20a3

Drivetofast is an unknown quantity at this point

why not just to a k20 swap and turbo that???
Old 06-24-2008
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

because to many of us its fun to build an underdog... Honestly I would rather have 400whp on a D series then 500 on a K, only because its done way less often.
Old 06-24-2008
Supercharged k20a3

Drivetofast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dopes6070
because to many of us its fun to build an underdog... Honestly I would rather have 400whp on a D series then 500 on a K, only because its done way less often.
ya i agree so i built my K20a2 but looking abck on it i would have rather built a K24
Old 06-24-2008
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Andy if your question was to me, you should be drug out into the street and shot. That is Master Chief's helmet. From Halo. The best game.

Ever. kick yourself Andy....NOW Hit me up on Live sometime Clint. SniperBait728 (don't let the name fool ya )

For you military folks, 3-month deployments on relaxed grooming standards followed by 30 days of leave are the only way to go. This way I get to legally grow a goatee once a year. you look funny with facial hair

2. I'm ****ing tired.
I spent 6 hours on the lawn today and got half of it done. My wife has ruptured discs in her lower back so she wasn't able to do a lot of yardwork while I was gone. I'll snap some pic of it in the morning, but I still have a lot of 'yard reclamation' to do and trees to prune. This ****ing country is like a rain forest in the summer. if you think it's hot now, it'll still be 80+ when you get here in September, well into November

Oh. Here's a picture of some *****.

this is just wrong as all hell
whatever happened to you ordering slicks? did somebody steal them off my porch before I or the wife got home? oh yeah, WELCOME BACK YO!!!
Old 06-24-2008
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

^Hmm, funny, now that you mention it, so is mine...
Ah so it looks like yes, ill post a pic from the back but it looks very much the
same.
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rufus
The K and D series engines aren't even similar. I'd call Hondata because I don't think buying a K series Kpro is going to do much for you.
i already called hondata and did some reading they are identical .. u jus need the cam gear to make it work and the ecu's plug right in .. same pins they line up i even knew that part lol

a built D series will spank a k20 with low boost and the cost for the two is very similar.. a k20 with low 6-7 psi puts down 250-300 .. a d17 built easily puts down 350-400 whp its been done and shown

Last edited by emjay; 06-25-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tony!

Funny story about the slicks. Kind of. Dude still hasn't shipped them. I'm being patient because he's been honest with me (from what I can tell) so far. Hopefully, inshallah, they will go out this week, but I'm not holding my breath. He's kept in regular email contact with me and neither one of us hasn't gotten stupid about the deal so they should be going out sometime. I waited about 4 months for an engine block here. It was _unclejuice's old block and after about 2 months I got a hold of the dude (not juice, the guy he sold it to) and he was like "Wow, that's so weird, I wonder what happened to it." Turned out he shipped it that day, so I got it two months later. Patience is the key so long as I'm not getting jerked around.

Bitches. If you're going to ***** up my thread with your Hondata chatter, you also need to post a funny picture of a monkey or midget. Not a bunch, just everytime you make an off-topic post!
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Tony!

Hopefully, inshallah, they will go out this week, but I'm not holding my breath.!
foos hahaha are u muslim ? thats really interesting how u said inshallah loool so trippy
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

So i check the cam gear both have 38 teeth the line up perfect with the aem cam gear and so do the timming teeth.

Old 06-25-2008

Buh bye.

Last edited by speedfoos; 12-10-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-25-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjay
i already called hondata and did some reading they are identical .. u jus need the cam gear to make it work and the ecu's plug right in .. same pins they line up i even knew that part lol
Woot
Old 06-25-2008
Turbo Guru

Were you ever losing oil pressure? I saw that bearing you pulled and it looked perfectly fine to me.... I think the knocking was also coming from the water pump. If your rod/crank had been knocking in the big ends/mains, it would have been journal to rod/main contact and you would have scarred the crank, oil pressure would drop, pure chaos. That's why when you hear a knock, the crank is ****ed, it's too late to just replace a bearing. That and the fact that you didn't have any shavings in the pan. I think your block is fine, man. If you have good oil pressure, you're good to go.

It's too bad you can't get an accurate idea of the main bearing to journal clearance via plastigauge from underneath the car, b/c we have gay *** girdles, you can't put a jack under the counterweights to offset the fact that the crank is just kinda hanging there. Aww, how nice maincaps would be, although they are weaker than a girdle.

Just replace the water pump and see how it does. I think that'll take care of it.
Old 06-25-2008

Good points Andy, but there was metal shavings in the bottom of the oil pan back when I replaced #3 main bearing, which is why I'm afraid some got sucked into the oil pump. I may as well replace it since I already bought a new one. Yeah, metal shavings in the coolant yesterday too...

But I'm committed to pulling the motor to check things out. Plus I want to use my new engine stand!
Old 06-25-2008
Turbo Guru

Metal shavings in coolant are probably from the water pump. Hope those suckers aren't getting in the turbo bearings...
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

DDpost

Last edited by DaRk_MauL; 06-25-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2008

Yeah, me too Andy.
Old 06-25-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

if ur bearings at the crank did go bad, like andy said, you would hve lost oil pressure, and that would cause the knock, i dont think ur knock is coming from the crank, i really dont, but we will see when u pull the engine
Old 06-25-2008

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I don't think I'm going to play mechanic tonight. Took the pooch for a walk since she was bugging me after watching me mow grass all day. Plus I had to go in to work for a little bit, so that ate up all my time. I'll get cracking at it bright and early tomorrow morning and pull the head off. I'm really itching to install the new IM!!!
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Your knock is a little japenese guy that got stuck in the engine in the plant....he wants out! Plus...I'm so over halo 2...masterchief sucks!
Rainbow 6-Las Vegas 2 owns halO! You'd love it clint....really realistic!!

***sorry no off-topic picture...I'm at work...I'll add a fat chick in a bikini for you later...clint loves those folds!!***

Last edited by FoSho; 06-25-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2008

Halo 3 you savage! Pony up and get a 360 already!

Besides, the monkey and midget pics are for the k-pro ******.
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

I meant halo3...I got an xbox 360 sucka....rainbow six owns halo 3
Old 06-25-2008

Yeah, I've been playing COD4 (just got it, yeah i know) lately. Good times!
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

Wow....I was so over Call of duty 4 last month ......it's like you've been in a time warp.....or you're just slow haha
Old 06-25-2008

I was deployed for 90 days bitch! Go get me a juice box!
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

I got ur juice box, bitch! So thats like 90 days of vacation right?

BTW....did you guys know clint hires some dude to act like him in his pictures....This is really what he looks like, he just sits around and plays halo 3 all day.....no bathroom needed even!!!

Clint as a teen.....no halo 3

Last edited by FoSho; 06-25-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

I've been thinking today and may go a different route with this rebuild. What I'm thinking about doing is not installing the new rods and pistons in this motor, for a couple reasons.

One. I don't have new rings for the pistons. They were only in the previous car for like 4000 miles, but I should really use new rings, which I don't have.

Two. There's a chance that my cylinders may need to be bored out a little and could mean my 75mm pistons won't fit in them anymore. I will have no idea until I take the block to the machine shop, but if that ends up being the case, I'm ****ed.

Three. I was going to do the cylinder notch on the bottom (to clear the Crowers) myself. I don't feel like paying £s for the machine work to have them assemble everything and do the notching because I don't trust them to put it together correctly.

Four. I've got a deadline to have this car running by Tuesday. I don't think I can make it with everything I have to get done.

So in light of all this what I may end up doing is still pulling the motor, change out the water pump, oil pump, rod and main bearings to get it back to a decent running state. This way I can get it to pass inspection and renew the registration so I can drive it for the rest of the summer. I would much rather take my time and build a fresh block outside of the car when I'm in that US this fall and have access to a decent machine shop. This will also coincide with the k-pro install. I don't really feel like street tuning the car myself with the lower compression pistons.

I think I'm doing the right thing by doing it this way. What do you guys think?
I agree with your thinking, Clint. You should wait and take your bottom end to a good builder who will have accurate measuring tools and experience to advise you on what you'll need to do with the bore. At which point you can make an informed decision on whether you need to bore or hone. Based on that you'd make the decision on your pistons - aftermarket, OEM standard bore, OEM oversize, SLEEVE AND GO 78MM (had to throw that in), or whatever. Once you have your pistons in hand - then you give them to the shop who will bore to fit each individual piston based on their slight variances.

Metal shavings in the coolant? Gah! God man, how could this be from the water pump unless it disintegrated or something? Could the thermostat have fallen apart? All water pumps ever do is wear out their bearings - that's it as far as I know. And there's no oil in the coolant? It'll be interesting to see the condition of the pump when you pull it. I doubt it's the source of the knock also (but I'm willing to be wrong). Since the TB rides on the pump, I would think there would be some vibration coming from that area if the bearings were messed up.

If you have metal shavings in the oil then they could be everywhere including the pickup and head. The pickup is easy to check out. The head - well you'd have to disassemble the whole damn thing and clean it out. I bought 2 Y8s a while back; one had a spun bearing and the other threw a rod. There were metal shavings in the head on both blocks.

Oh, almost forgot. Gratuitous monkey pic below. I took this pic of a howler monkey in Central America last July.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Monkey.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	74530  
Old 06-26-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

My Stage 4 Competition Clutch died today. One of the springs popped right out of its housing....
Old 06-26-2008
Registered!!

My stage four CC shelled my transmission....you got lucky

Quick Reply: Gonzo.