Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

What causes Exhaust Rice-ness

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xxxcivic2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
What causes Exhaust Rice-ness

So i have the Greddy Evo and DC RH. I'm wondering what causes the ricey sound. My Evo sounds horrible at certain rpm's, like a rattling vibration rice noise. It's not a leak or loose piece or anything. Is there anything i can do to make it stop or should i consider a new exhaust?
Old 06-05-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: What causes Exhaust Rice-ness

Its all about the size of the pipes, the resonator shape, type of car and muffler. Its basicaly just how the air responds to what its traveling through and the speed its traveling, but with exhausts you really dont have many options of differnt materials.

You can experiment with differnt resonators or put a silencer on.
Old 06-05-2007
Registered!!

any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2007
Registered!!

TurismoDreamin is a jewel in the roughTurismoDreamin is a jewel in the roughTurismoDreamin is a jewel in the rough

4cyl...with large exhaust...and low hp..

But yea, I would recommend a silencer too...and if they did cut off ur resonator...then you'll probably want that back on too..
Old 06-05-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

no resonator is the ricey part!
Old 06-05-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

4 bangers are raucous. The harmonics of them are inherently horrid and you need something to dampen it out... resonators, a good muffler, a turbo, etc... mixing and matching parts is going to cause resonance frequencies to jump around, depending on how the parts were designed to work together. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt. Apparently in your case, you wound up with a goofy set of frequencies that wont cancel out, hence, you hear funny noises.
Listen to a completely unmuffled car like a Honda Challenge car. Sounds like the stereotypical can of bees, yet still melodic in a strange way.
Old 06-05-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my rsr doesnt have resonator and it sounds great, very low toned, sounds like bass at low rpm and nice low tone at hi rpm. very sporty.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

clue14 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i have straight pipes after the cat and it sounds great no rice just good low roar...not like a rattling"broom" maybe its your car?
hmm...
i have no idea i just heard a couple of cars that do sound like that i dont like it either...
Old 06-06-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

the straighter the pipes exiting out the car the better the sound? is it safe to assume that?
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

20civic01 is an unknown quantity at this point

how long have you had it? i've had my apex'i n1 on for a while, and when i first got it, it was great, low and not too loud, even without the silencer. now it sounds like crap even with the silencer in. i think it just wore out and it's time to get a new one.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Could possibly be that it's worn out but i've never really heard of that. As for everyone who says there exhaust is nice and deep, do u still have stock header and/or cat. Mine was ok sounding before the Race Header.
Old 06-06-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

its the design of the muffler...and whether its equiped with a renator or not.

companies will try all sorts of combination to get the best sound... why do u think companies like magnaflow sounds good? or the RSR?

but as for greddy...it sounds like crap on the EM2.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

beverly_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Right resonator and pipe size plus chambered muffler will do the trick.
Old 06-06-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

i have a magnaflow resonator and a magnaflow muffler...the muffler isnt just a hollow can i mean u can see inside its built to be muffled and free flowing. its got all kinds of stuff inside. but im getting custom piping so yea..and i still havnt got it welded.. ...i duno..whatd u guys think? rice or nice?
Old 06-06-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

*subscribed* because when i buy an exhaust down the line i wanna know what i should do to not have it sound raspy at higher RPM's like all exhausts can sound good at idle, or good when your car is parked and u set up a recorder, but i need to know what setups actually will produce a nicely toned sound
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

I have an EVO2 on my em2 also, but with a k20a2, and at times it sounds ricey. I think I'm gonna get an RS*R or something. They look better anyway. Does anyone know how much more restrictive they are, or if i'd notice a power decrease?
Old 06-06-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

Get a bigger motor or get an axleback exhaust .. HKS is nice IMO.
Old 06-06-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

over time the baffles in any muffler will wear down and change the sound.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about

your problem is due to your race header. the header eliminates the catalytic converter. i have the same header on my car, and i only have an RSX-S axleback on my car and its louder than stock with just the header on.

you already have a pretty quiet exhaust on your car, it being an Greddy Evo exhaust. if you want the raspiness of the exhaust to go away, your best bet would be to get a resonator welded onto the midpipe of your exhaust.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Syke Fu will become famous soon enough

Yeah, i got the HKS axleback and it's mild when compared to others. It's actually kinda starting to irritate me though. Rattles here and there, ya know just small stuff.

Maybe i'm just sensitive or something.
Old 06-06-2007
This is Myspace

on an ex model em2. haveing the 4-2-1 race header eliminates the cat? i dont think thats right, maybe on the lx or dx models but on the ex the cat isnt integrated into the header.
Old 06-06-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Syke Fu
Yeah, i got the HKS axleback and it's mild when compared to others. It's actually kinda starting to irritate me though. Rattles here and there, ya know just small stuff.

Maybe i'm just sensitive or something.
DUDE I have that prob too.. I just got longer hangers.. maybe that will fix the rattling
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by D17sRuNtunable
on an ex model em2. haveing the 4-2-1 race header eliminates the cat? i dont think thats right, maybe on the lx or dx models but on the ex the cat isnt integrated into the header.
it eliminates the cat on the em2, hence being called a race header.

So do u guys think that another exhaust will be less raspy or because of the RH will they all have that sound.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by D17sRuNtunable

DC Sports makes a RACE header for the '01-'05 EX civic. its a race header hence, eliminating the cat. the DC header includes a downpipe which eliminates the cat. its nothing compared to the shorty header. my car is an EX model.

DC Sports Race Header:

DC Sports Shortty Header:

Last edited by Da1lyDr1ver; 06-06-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

ricey whats that...i got a cheap tsudo carbon fiber exhaust and the shyt sounds great...lowwww n deeep everyone loves it, the greddys sound like **** at hi rpms on the em2 in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

n no i didnt buy it...it came with the car
Old 06-06-2007
This is Myspace

how does urs sound at high rpm? any sound clips? ^^
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

if you guys wanna hear mine, here's a vid of it. Listen to the raspyness. It sounds good when u free-rev it, but under accel its ****. damn i hate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqZxc4x2xkA
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Syke Fu will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kevbotron
DUDE I have that prob too.. I just got longer hangers.. maybe that will fix the rattling
Maybe so. Were did you get your longer hangers from??
Old 06-06-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

Apex-i for the WIN!!!

Quick Reply: What causes Exhaust Rice-ness