Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Badddd Day.......Blew My Clutch (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VTecCivic1505 is an unknown quantity at this point
Badddd Day.......Blew My Clutch (need help)

so today was like the worst day for me. while driveing to meet up with my girl friend today i got pulled over for loud exhaust as i was really mad about that i was like its okay it happens. So meet up with my girl friend and everything is alright i notice that if i push down the clutch it makes a weird kinda noise really hard to describe it. So i turn off my car call my mechanic and he tells me to swing it by and he will take a look at it.

now when i bought my car (2002 Civic EX Coupe) it had 32,xxx miles on it. Around this time last year my stock clutch blew had to get it towed and replaced. my mechanic told me that it must have been greatly burned by the pervious owner since the car at this time had 49,000 miles on it. So i got a Competion Stage 2 Clutch on it. So since the clutch was only one year old i didnt worry to much that it could be that. So as a drove not even 2 miles after this while going to shift from 2nd to 3rd i felt my clutch pedal just lose all feeling. I knew i blew my clutch and this is when the cursing started.

Knowing that if i took it out of 2nd gear i would be screwed and not be able to keep the car moving i drove me car in second to my mechanic (at least like 15 mile drive). I knew i chould stop so i had to run red light and stop signs. I finally made it to my mechanic and after him sitting in the seat and trying some stuff out he agreed with me that the clutch was gone. As of right now my car has 69,xxx miles on it. So im pretty pissed i dont know whats going on. I know some of you might be thinking i dont know how to drive stick and burned it myself i have driven stick for 4 years and this is the only car that has given me this problem. So some one please help I dont know why this could have happened. What i should do. like just get stock clutch or racing clutch? some one just please help cause this day just sucked.
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
its kind of hard to imagine you blew out a stage 2 clutch in under a year. you arent turbo'd are you?

perhaps it wasnt the clutch, but the slave cylinder if your pedal lost pressure...
Old 02-08-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
my 4 puck clutch went out in under 20,000 miles for me....
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

nismostreets21 can only hope to improve
stop beating it
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

no i aint turboed.......

and i dont beat on my car yea every once in a while i pull a gear or 2 but thats only some times
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

ian01ex is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont think its your clutch then. Gotta be the cylinder like someone said.
Old 02-08-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
Unless your boosting, theres no need for a performance clutch. They are not good for daily driving, and if you ride the clutch, theyll wear out real fast. I just swapped a guys clutch the other day who had a performance clutch. There were fibers all over the inside of his transmission.
Old 02-08-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
hmm.... that sux man. GL finding what exactly went wrong
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

well my mechanic is looking at it today but while he was playing with the car yesterday he said its def. the clutch and no matter what i need to replace it this just sucks this is making just want to fix it and trade in my car and go with something a bit older and stick with B series
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
It's how you shift..you did not learn to shift correctly..even my stock clutch at 89000 miles going strong...

for non boosted civic to have failed clutch twice under 70000 miles...and assuming no accident..

good shift is when you change gears passenger should not feel gear change...at any rpm....meaning no jerking..
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

flsurflover is an unknown quantity at this point
VTecCivic1, sorry man. That sucks.

Devani, could you elaborate on "passenger should not feel gear change". How do you keep your car from decelerating when you depress the clutch?
Old 02-08-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
He means learn how to shift smooth...its not that hard.
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

flsurflover is an unknown quantity at this point
No worries. I was just calling BS on "passenger should not feel gear change".
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flsurflover
No worries. I was just calling BS on "passenger should not feel gear change".
good..

when you shift smoooooth, syncros do less work and easy on clutch as well
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

found out today my flywheel is messed up too....so what people are telling me is that when my mechanic changed my clutch to the racing one we left my flywheel stock so that could be the reason why that wore out the clutch alot faster not sure if this is true or not....point is no i need a clutch and flywheel asap so like that i can just get my damn car back asap.....

and i do shift smoothly
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
How could it be the clutch? If the clutch was gone, you shouldnt be able to drive it anywhere. If the clutch pedal has gone all the way to the floor, then you lost pressure in the resovour somewhere. Could be the cylinder or whatever its called.
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
its not the clutch. its somewhere it the plumbing. "your mechanic" meaning the turd at pepboys is about to rip you a new ******* again. the clutch disc doesnt just go out. it wears out until it slips and slips and wont go anymore. has nothing to do with pedal going all the way to the floor. its the slave or clutch master cyliner, or youve got a leak in the system and youre out of fluid. make sure you have fluid in the clutch reservoir. if you do, grab some extra brake fluid and bleed the clutch. once you tighten the nipple back down after bleeding, see if you have pedal pressure. if not and there are no leaks, change the clutch master cylinder and tell the guy from pepboys to get bent.
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by _unclejuice
its not the clutch. its somewhere it the plumbing. "your mechanic" meaning the turd at pepboys is about to rip you a new ******* again. the clutch disc doesnt just go out. it wears out until it slips and slips and wont go anymore. has nothing to do with pedal going all the way to the floor. its the slave or clutch master cyliner, or youve got a leak in the system and youre out of fluid. make sure you have fluid in the clutch reservoir. if you do, grab some extra brake fluid and bleed the clutch. once you tighten the nipple back down after bleeding, see if you have pedal pressure. if not and there are no leaks, change the clutch master cylinder and tell the guy from pepboys to get bent.
well my mechanic (not pep boys its a meniki or however you spell it) took it apart and told me that the clutch is burned and so is my flywheel so i got to get those two parts for him
Old 02-09-2007
Registered!!

showoner is an unknown quantity at this point
im having problems with my clutch too. but ive never done nothing to the car oth than reg oil/trans changes...stock has lasted since i got the car in 6/03
.....performance clutch going out though, i dont knw?????????
Old 02-09-2007
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light
I follow the rest .... my clutch goes throug HELL with my and still running
stock @69.000miles only thing is my 3 syncro that starts cracking a little bit
but that just my siffting to fast into 3rd.

If i where you i would go take a look in person at your clutch and flywheel
en check your oil res.
Old 02-09-2007
Registered!!

xschizx9 will become famous soon enough
that really doesn't sound right... sure it isn't like the slave or master clutch cylinder? I blew one in my eclipse and thats all it was... the clutch was fine.

because when it happened my clutch pedal went to the floor with no pressure, and had a very soft feeling like you were describing, right before it happened
Old 02-09-2007
Registered!!

i went to the to see my car today and yea it turns out the was one of the cylinders or bearing but the clutch and the flywheel were both burned too. I saw it with my own 2 eyes. I dont know how exactly to explain what happened cause i dont drive my car hard at all really. and i driven 3 other cars in the past for alot of time with beating on them and never had a clutch problem. Well got all the parts today so hopefully my car comes out tommorow. ill keep you guys posted on what i do with it. Most likely im just going to trade it in and get something partly cause im fed up with this whole big mess and cause i just want something i can go B series with and have alot more opinions. Thanks for all the help tho guys
Old 02-09-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
take pics of the clutch disc if you can.
Old 02-11-2007
Registered!!

take pics of the clutch disc if you can.
i would but i dont have them i got back my car already but they were burned tho i saw....but i seriously think the installation the first time around was not done correctly so thats what caused it to blow this time. this is why im just going to trade my car in and get something else....i been looking for a excuse to do that and this one was it

EM1 SI.....here i come
Old 02-11-2007
Registered!!

you still dont make any sense. the disc wearing out would not cause the pedal to go to the floor. you just need to keep going to the franchise ripoff shops and gettin your ******* stretched.
Old 02-11-2007
Registered!!

you still dont make any sense. the disc wearing out would not cause the pedal to go to the floor. you just need to keep going to the franchise ripoff shops and gettin your ******* stretched.
not really i thought i mentioned this before the clutch master cylinder was runined too causeing the pedal to the floor, the clutch was burned, and the flywheel too. there was no leaks of fluids and so on..i thought i mentioned this before my fault
Old 02-11-2007
Registered!!

but why the second burned clutch in a short amount of time? i dont see it happening. thats where im thinkin youre gettin ripped.
Old 02-11-2007
Registered!!

EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough
Your clutch pedal would NOT go to the floor if your clutch was fried. IMO your mechanic does not know what he is doing. So when he looked at it he said the most obvious, profitable fix for him. He then changed the clutch and it still did not work so after elliminating one possibility he discoverd the real problem. It is possible that the master cylinder was slowly going bad not allowing the clutch to fully disengage and mybe burnt it somewhat, but if it never slipped or smelled bad I would say it would have been fine to put back in. And if the OEM flywheel was slick from the burnt clutch you could have just had it turned and it would have been fine.
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

legacyse is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a feeling the mechanic who put in the previous clutch in did not adjust the free play accordingly, meaning your clutch is actually partly engaged (barely touching). Hence, every moment your clutch is constantly "slipping", worning it out.
As for sunk-to-the-bottom pedal, there's either a leak/air in the clutch master cylinder.
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
i bet the clutch is screwed cuz your previous mechanic didnt machine/shave down your stock flywheel. seems like your flywheel was never touched according to what you say. i boosted on stock clutch for awhile and it never went out on me, just slipped the fvck out when i smashed it. once again its not your clutch. and for your own good dont go to any franchise autoshops. reputable "racing" shops are your best bet or just family/small business shops. or learn and do it your self. dont be scared to work on your car its not as hard as people think.

Quick Reply: Badddd Day.......Blew My Clutch (need help)