Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Brake Set-Up.. Need your opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
azn_knight4874 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Brake Set-Up.. Need your opinions..

I was thinking of doing the following:

Changing to "Edelbrock Stainless Steel Brake Lines."
(better / more consistent stopping power)

Changing to "Power Slot Plus Big Rotor Brake Upgrade Kit."
(don't have the $$ for a real Big Brake Set-up, also not sure if it's worth it for our cars)

Also, maybe painting my brake calipers yellow or a blue.
(thought it would look cool)

* What are your thoughts? and Please don't be mean.
If you don't think this is a bad idea / set up just say, "nah, don't do it"

Thanks,

Last edited by azn_knight4874; 01-04-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
the stainless steel brake lines are definately a good idea.

i wouldnt get the "big brake kit", but i would get some new OEM sized rotors and high quality brake pads. for the pads, try Hawk or PBR Axxis. but, with higher performance pads, expect more brake dust.

i would also get some better quality brake fluid (flush the system while you're at it also). if you race your car, try Motoul brand fluid, or else Valvoline Syntec for all other applications.

i wouldnt paint the calipers due to my personal preferance, but you could if you'd like, but you might grow to not like them later.
Old 01-04-2007
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Definitely get the stainless lines, I love mine. As for the big brake kit, I wouldn't bother unless you really do need to keep your brakes from getting too hot (ie Solo racing). That said, I followed Boilermaker's DIY and got myself an ITR front brake conversion. Oh and definitely paint your calipers, but if you have rear drums, black seems to be the only colour that doesn't end up looking ghey. I'm using Motul brake fluid right now, and KVR carbon fiber brake pads, which are great cause they don't dust nearly as much as other hi-perf brands, and have great stopping power even when cold.
Old 01-04-2007
Registered!!

eugthebear is an unknown quantity at this point
the setup i see alot on our vics is the brembo blanks and hawk pads.
Old 01-04-2007
Registered!!

azn_knight4874 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanx for the input...

I will definitely go for the Stainless Steel Brake Lines..

I just wanted to get the bigger rotors and colored calipers for the appearence mainly.

I painted my rear drums a glossy black, which came out very nice.. as opposed to the faded dull metal stock black...

Keep the input comin'...!!!
Old 01-04-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Bigger rotors without the proper calipers is dangerous. The radius of the caliper and the radius of the rotor aren't the same, as a result, the apex of the pad does not contact the rotor face and wears a step into the pad. The uneven contact is likely to warp the rotor, damage the caliper (since the piston pressure isn't even) and could lead to the pad fragmenting or coming off the backing.
Get a whole big brake upgrade, or stick with stock size. Upgrading safety and functional items for looks always creates a nightmare situation... not just for you, but for everyone else on the road.
Old 01-04-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
^indeed, I think you would be surprised (aznknight) what Powerslot rotors and Hawk brake pads will do, the increased stopping ability is outstanding. I feel as though they have saved my @ss (one time) as well!