Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

H.I.D. Retrofit pics, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Question H.I.D. Retrofit pics, need opinions

Okay I just finished, been driving around the past hour. Its a mixed bag. Idk, but for some reason i was expecting more. And they are shaking slightly when i go over hard bumps, but thats prolly my fault.

Now for the cutoff, can someone explain this to me. now the way i have it now, it looks perfectly even when i squat down in front slowly from 25ft away, but on the wall they are obviously not even. however if i move the headlamp and make them level, then they do not look the same when i actually look at them head on. help.

Next, it seems like they are not even that bright. Idk, from all the stuff i've been through, it would seem Catz H4 hid>audi a4 hid>halogen tyc/halogen oem but it seems to me like the retrofit is just like stock halogen except white light, which is even harder for me to see at night. It seems like halogen is better, and i know tinman will say im getting old but meh. They are still bright, just not what i expected for an expensive $500+ oem retrofit. Anyway, onto the pics. I am actually happier with the way the projector housings and colors look than with the actual light output but oh well. oh and the stupid cutoff is purple! boo i wanted white or blue.

Setup:
2005 Audi A4 HID (valeo projectors and ballast, osram bulb)
Sonar Halo projectors (fixed halo for 15 VDC)
Cycolite 7443 amber glass turn bulbs
Suvlights.com heavy duty wire harness

The halo LEDs are wired to stay on only with parking light and go off when low beam comes on. They are very dim and can be seen at night but thats about it. I think its more of a novelty. I also put protective film from headlightarmor.com but it doesnt look that great, there are still alot of bubble and streaks. so idk, maybe i'll leave it on cause these are too expensive to have them break.

Last edited by gearbox; 08-06-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
looks real good man
Old 08-05-2006
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
looks fine to me. it ain't going to be perfect. haha
Old 08-05-2006
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light
Looks good to me. Nice job.
Old 08-05-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
thanks guys. i like it alot. and nobody flashed me yet. suvlights has been a huge help. i actually had problem using the H4 harness and ended up using the fog universal harness. now i need another one to hook the far lights separately. i have no hi beam now and i want it on a new switch so i can flash people whenever even if headlights are off

FYI: i have stock black out sedan lights with amber corners and also an H4 pnp upgrade harness for sale now. in addition to philips H4 +50 vision plus bulbs.

here is a pic with the yellow projector fogs

Last edited by gearbox; 08-05-2006 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-06-2006
I'll flip out and kill people.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned
looks awesome man... great job indeed. the light output looks really wide and bright, too, contrary to your first post
Old 08-06-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job gb, looks really good from teh pics
Old 08-06-2006
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
that's a nice *** cutoff.....props!!
Old 08-06-2006
Premium Member

you know i bought these thinking there would be almost no color, come to find out there is a ton of purple. i can see it reflecting off all the cars. but its cool looking. it was alot of work, but mostly just time consuming. idk why they cant just make something that you can buy with hid projector already inside. cause all those ebay halogens suck. the only thing they couldve made better is the turn reflector. its just painted silver, not chrome, so its dimmer esp during the day.
Old 08-06-2006
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
the cutoff is wrong, like jay's. nice retrofit, though.
Old 08-06-2006
Premium Member

can you answer my question tho? i can adjust the cutoff to be level in about a minute by adjusting it. but then when you look at the lights from the front, they look like one is lower. with the way it is now, they look good from the front, which is all i care about.
Old 08-06-2006

dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
i have no idea what you're talking about. if the light looks level from INSIDE the car, that's all you should care about, because you spent your money for yourself so that you can see at night, not so that other people can see the pretty lights.

the driver's side needs to be aimed higher, or the passenger side needs to be aimed lower. with the way it is now, you have either lost some light (driver's side too low) or you are blinding people to the right of you (passenger's side too high).
Old 08-06-2006
2 cups sweety 8 cups bitch

Suzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond repute
looks good =)
Old 08-06-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
o man, i need to do mine quick
Old 08-06-2006
Premium Member

well okay that makes sense, but it looks getto when one side is purple and the other side is white like they are aimed wrong. and why dont stock cars look like this then. and i thought isnt one side supposed to be aimed lower or higher? or am i thinking halogen...

Originally Posted by dirtySAMURAI
i have no idea what you're talking about. if the light looks level from INSIDE the car, that's all you should care about, because you spent your money for yourself so that you can see at night, not so that other people can see the pretty lights.

the driver's side needs to be aimed higher, or the passenger side needs to be aimed lower. with the way it is now, you have either lost some light (driver's side too low) or you are blinding people to the right of you (passenger's side too high).
Old 08-06-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
^uh never heard of that. it should b ____|-----____|-----. you get the idea
Old 08-06-2006

like i posted in jay78's thread, the cutoff should look similar to this:

you have the exact same issue that jay78 had with his ls430:

from far away, the beams should converge into one large step cutoff, but up close it will be 2 separate cutoffs that SHOULD resemble the image that i posted that says "horizontally correct."

EDIT: here are two pictures that have the beam pattern correct:

Last edited by dirtySAMURAI; 08-06-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2006
Premium Member

okay man jeez i hope you like it. i lowered the passenger side just for you lolz but now it looks all messed up from far away like one side gets brighter before the other. is this to your liking?

Old 08-06-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
that's a lot of light^^, looks good to me.
Old 08-06-2006

Originally Posted by gearbox
okay man jeez i hope you like it. i lowered the passenger side just for you lolz but now it looks all messed up from far away like one side gets brighter before the other. is this to your liking?

yeaaaaaaaah there you go. that looks much better.
Old 08-06-2006
Premium Member

wooo! wooo!
Old 08-08-2006
Registered!!

jay78 is on a distinguished road
good job steve u done it...i like it....did u do any color mods ???
Old 08-08-2006
Premium Member

no color mods, i didnt wanna break anything lol. but its a very dark purple at the cutoff. ill try and get a few color shots up tonight.
Old 08-08-2006
Registered!!

jay78 is on a distinguished road
cool....do u have pic of back of the headlight ?
Old 08-08-2006
Premium Member

check my diy in the lighting forum. i used wire to tie it up haha
Old 08-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
looks good man! damn nice job with that retro.

injen
Old 08-08-2006
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
You should have made your own wiring harness.
I thought you of all people would DIY that part of the retrofit lol.

I don't think anyone asked if you are using new or used bulbs?
Old 08-08-2006
Premium Member

lol. bulbs are used for maybe 1000 miles.
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
I have the same bulbs but in a Bosch projector.
They light the road up just a touch whiter than halogens...almost to the point where I feel like I have the highbeams on and pointed low.

I've had almost the same stuff you had in the past and I think the TYC HID setup is the best lighting I've had so far.

I had a 6000k H4 hi/low Bellof (Catz of Jp) and also 8000k cheapo eBay H4 bulbs.
Both were just as bright but felt like it was splattering light everywhere onto the road compared to the projectos sharp cut offs.

You should also aim them then JB weld it or something to prevent the jiggling over bumps.
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
nice job you going to post a DIY on this one?

Quick Reply: H.I.D. Retrofit pics, need opinions