Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

droppin the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006
PWIT
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
droppin the car

so im droppin the vic on saturday. this is my first time doing anything like this. i got Mex's DIY for it. but you got any tips on what to do?

i got Goldline springs off a member here how can i tell which way is the top or the bottom.

ive been studying the DIY so i should be good.

Last edited by CenZ; 05-02-2006 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
you wanna do mine? ill pay you
Old 05-02-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
if i can figure out mine ill do yours. your more than welcome to come by and watch to see if its easy or not.
Old 05-02-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
yea man ill come by and check it out if you dont mind, ive been reading that DIY also for like the past week but im a little nervous about doin it myself
Old 05-02-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
go rent the tie bar separater tool from autozone
Old 05-02-2006
PWIT

well i dont need the tie bar separater,you can just hit the strut and it will come apart, the DIY shows a regular hammer but i would use a rubber mallet. im more worried about putting the springs on wrong...
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

simplicated1979 will become famous soon enoughsimplicated1979 will become famous soon enough
well I had some buddies of mine do it for me cuz i didn'thave the tools, they told me they had a lil problem with the struts getting it out something like that cuz it was stuck. i'll try to find out exactly what they meant later. I dropped mines yesterday on eye back...oops (Eibach) sports...and man the ride is amazing now, very sporty, and i'm sure it's gonna settle a bit more in a few weeks and the drop seems perfect right now. NEW YORK NEW YORK.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DROP1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	66120  
Old 05-02-2006
PWIT

if worse comes to worse ill get the tierod seperator. but yeah, im sure ill figure out which ones are front and which are back when i pull them off and see the old ones size, but do the bunch of coils (that are really close) go on the bottom or the top, im thinking bottom but i want to make sure.
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

simplicated1979 will become famous soon enoughsimplicated1979 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CenZ
if worse comes to worse ill get the tierod seperator. but yeah, im sure ill figure out which ones are front and which are back when i pull them off and see the old ones size, but do the bunch of coils (that are really close) go on the bottom or the top, im thinking bottom but i want to make sure.

if no one answers this question for you i will look at mine later and get back to you on this, I wondered the same thing when i got mine, but I still havn't gotten the chance to look underneath..i'm taking it in for alignment later so i'll let u know...
Old 05-02-2006
PWIT

well it makes sence that the closer ones would go on the bottom as like "support" but yeah. so sometime before saturday i need an answer from someone lol.
Old 05-02-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well i dont need the tie bar separater,you can just hit the strut and it will come apart, the DIY shows a regular hammer but i would use a rubber mallet. im more worried about putting the springs on wrong...
thats what we thought too. except mallet didn't work and we didn't wanna damage the threads like what happened the first time they did it.
Old 05-02-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
ok, i also followed the DIY and did fine. here is what you need in my honest opionion from my personal experience.
1. a whole day. bout 8 hours. cause i was a newb, we did everything SLOW to make sure it was right.
2. 2 other people. no experience needed.
3. spring compressor for stock springs, you don't even need it after you put the goldlines on.
4. WD-40.
5. when you bang on the strut for the tie rod, it will take ALOT of hard bangs, but it will come up easy when its out. just keep banging till it pops out. it took like 50 hard shots for each side for me.
6. get some gloves, some thick ones, to use when you want to really turn them hex keys. or towels so you don't cut your hand like i did
7. BREAKER BAR!!!!! be smart about it like me. put the wrench on with the hex key for the backs, and let the hex key get stuck on the frame so it don't move, then use a breaker bar for the wrench to turn it. it will help alot. i didn't have one so i used the hollow rod from the jack we had as a breaker bar.
8. click my sig to read about what i did if i missed anything. pm me if you got q's.
9. O BTW, ITS FUN AS ****!!! when your done, don't even look at the drop. it won't be right until you drive it about 2 minutes. drive around, let it settle, then show us pics!!!!!

o yea don't forget to index!

o yea don't forget to index!

Last edited by MajinB; 05-02-2006 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

wow nice Majin....nice quick instructions...
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MajinB
ok, i also followed the DIY and did fine. here is what you need in my honest opionion from my personal experience.
1. a whole day. bout 8 hours. cause i was a newb, we did everything SLOW to make sure it was right.
2. 2 other people. no experience needed.
3. spring compressor for stock springs, you don't even need it after you put the goldlines on.
4. WD-40.
5. when you bang on the strut for the tie rod, it will take ALOT of hard bangs, but it will come up easy when its out. just keep banging till it pops out. it took like 50 hard shots for each side for me.
6. get some gloves, some thick ones, to use when you want to really turn them hex keys. or towels so you don't cut your hand like i did
7. BREAKER BAR!!!!! be smart about it like me. put the wrench on with the hex key for the backs, and let the hex key get stuck on the frame so it don't move, then use a breaker bar for the wrench to turn it. it will help alot. i didn't have one so i used the hollow rod from the jack we had as a breaker bar.
8. click my sig to read about what i did if i missed anything. pm me if you got q's.
9. O BTW, ITS FUN AS ****!!! when your done, don't even look at the drop. it won't be right until you drive it about 2 minutes. drive around, let it settle, then show us pics!!!!!
^^^what he said. especially the 8-hour part and having 2 people to help.
Old 05-02-2006
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
dude, you don't even need a spring compressor, that is a waste of time! i stepped on mine and pointed the top of the strut towards a wall with a towel over it to catch the pieces. granted, that is only for the front since they are so compressed. when you put the new springs on, you just push down on the cap and put the nut back on the bolt and then use a hex key (to hold the 'bolt' in place) while using a wrench to tighten it down.

for the tie rod, i used PB Blaster (auto zone) and a regular hammer and banged it a few times and it came right out. you have an 05 so it should not be hard at all to get out.

as for the springs going on correctly, you will be able to tell, the front ones are huge and the back ones are small. in my experince, if there is writing on the spring...it goes up side down. either way, stick the spring on and twist it clockwise while holding the strut...if it 'locks' or sticks in place, you have on the right way, if it keeps rotating, turn it over.

the only thing i ever used a breaker bar for and you WILL need it is for the lower bolt on the rear suspension, you can't get them off any other way.

i have done my own suspension 6 times already and this has worked for me!

dude, you don't even need a spring compressor, that is a waste of time! i stepped on mine and pointed the top of the strut towards a wall with a towel over it to catch the pieces. granted, that is only for the front since they are so compressed. when you put the new springs on, you just push down on the cap and put the nut back on the bolt and then use a hex key (to hold the 'bolt' in place) while using a wrench to tighten it down.

for the tie rod, i used PB Blaster (auto zone) and a regular hammer and banged it a few times and it came right out. you have an 05 so it should not be hard at all to get out.

as for the springs going on correctly, you will be able to tell, the front ones are huge and the back ones are small. in my experince, if there is writing on the spring...it goes up side down. either way, stick the spring on and twist it clockwise while holding the strut...if it 'locks' or sticks in place, you have on the right way, if it keeps rotating, turn it over.

the only thing i ever used a breaker bar for and you WILL need it is for the lower bolt on the rear suspension, you can't get them off any other way.

oh and don't forget to cut your bumpstops (those yellow foam things riding the metal pole) in HALF!!!i think there are 4 gorves, you only need 2!
i have done my own suspension 6 times already and this has worked for me!

Last edited by P.O.S.B.A.S.04; 05-02-2006 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2006
PWIT

i dont have an 05, i have an 02 with 60k on it living on a big island that makes everything rusty, im gunna need ALOT of WD40/PB Blaster. i shouldnt need to cut my bump stops on an 02 right?

no one answered my question yet though, with the springs, does that part that have the coils closer together go on the bottom of the strut or the top, i know POS said if it dont lock then flip them, but i would rather do it all right and not waste alot of time.

oh and majin explain this indexing to me. is that the little arrows on the top of the strut and on the bottom? they have to line back up right?
Old 05-02-2006

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
woops, my bad, i transposed the 2 & 5, my apologies.

i literally just ran out to look at my springs...the tighter coils go at the bottom...that is the correct way they go on
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by P.O.S.B.A.S.04
woops, my bad, i transposed the 2 & 5, my apologies.

i literally just ran out to look at my springs...the tighter coils go at the bottom...that is the correct way they go on

nice...just as you suspected CenZ so you should be set to go.. GL..

nice right up by POS...
Old 05-02-2006

thanks simplicated

CenZ if you have any problems at all, hit me up on AIM and good luck to you!!!
Old 05-02-2006
PWIT

thanks. hope all goes well on saturday.
Old 05-02-2006
Premium Member

index means line up the arrows. no compression tool needed, they barely pop off. my rears didn't even move haha
Old 05-02-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i dont have an 05, i have an 02 with 60k on it living on a big island that makes everything rusty, im gunna need ALOT of WD40/PB Blaster. i shouldnt need to cut my bump stops on an 02 right?

no one answered my question yet though, with the springs, does that part that have the coils closer together go on the bottom of the strut or the top, i know POS said if it dont lock then flip them, but i would rather do it all right and not waste alot of time.

oh and majin explain this indexing to me. is that the little arrows on the top of the strut and on the bottom? they have to line back up right?
i need you to post pics for me to tell you. BUT when you take of stocks you WILL KNOW what side goes where. the part where there are little rubber things on the goldines are the BOTTOM of the spring...remember that as a last resort. i did not cut my bumpstops. im fine still. stock shocks and not blown.
on my 01 it had the little L and R on the strut, which is strange cause the DIY said it would not. anyway, align the arrows to the arm. there is a DIY on indexing on this site. go look! its simple. yes line them up. good luck! pm me with qs. or aim of course. we are all here to help. you better post pics!!! before and after