Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!
View Poll Results: Who has had problems with there car?
Have never had any problems. Just done the normal maintenence ( oil change, brakes, etc. ).
45.66%
Have had a few problems here and there, but nothing major.
35.35%
Have had major problems with my car ( tranny, engine, etc. ).
16.16%
Have had severe car problems ( Items have been replaced more then once ).
2.83%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Everyone Respond: Who has Had problems with there car and who hasnt had problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005
Ricerus Maximus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
replaced transmission at 60,000 miles

replaced clutch master cylinder at 30,000 miles (warranty)

nasty exhaust leak

broken motor mount

2nd gear not happy

replaced right front cv axle

clutch sucks

but I do love the gas mileage so that makes up for most of it
Old 08-18-2005
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
nope, just a few rattle and noise here and there and a bouncy rear suspension.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Just to clear any confusion up, the last poll option about your car having severe problems, that means basically alot of components have been replaced more then once, on top of having major problems. And you basically cant stand your car anymore and want to trade it in.

I would like to see more then half of the site respond to this thread just to see where it stands on problems with the newer civics.
Old 08-18-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
2001 em2

Loose panels all over the place
Front suspension replaced 3 times before going to b&g coilovers
Valves need adjustment

Knock on wood nothing else.
Old 08-18-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
21k 04 Manual SSM Cpe. Regular oil changes and had to replace my tires. No problems whatsoever, gotta love our vics guys...God damn, these cars are reliable!! ...knock on wood...
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
I have an 02 ex sedan @ 45k miles, only thing i could consider broken was when the airbag senor failed. I never had any major problems with the civic.

I did however get the dreaded rocking seat, windshield plastic bottom deformity and car rattles(loose speaker, struts and plastic panels). of course these things arnt broken they were merely annoying characteristics of the civics during the early years of the 7th gen (fixed in 03/04 restyling). i got a new seat assembly for the rocking seat this year, i think its the 05 assembly, i hope its better, at least it doesnt rock anymore.

oh yes my hvac vents are loose, but the car is reliable, but like japanese cars, i blame all the rattles and seat problems and plastic deformities in cost cutting in materials. Domestics do it too, its just that domestics cant make cheap materials look nice like the imports.

Last edited by mrchowmein; 08-18-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-18-2005
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
2k1 Coupe EX/Si with 134,000 km's.
I don't know how many times I've made this list but I think I should get an award for most problems...

3 sets of struts and then given a 4th set by Honda cuz they felt bad (04's)
2 A/C compressors
3 Alternators - replaced with defective part and then replaced again...yikes
3 gears in my tranny
1 set of seat rails (driver side)
1 IAC valve
1 P/S pump and belt

that might be it...
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

DowntownRicer is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 - 65k on it

-On my 3rd windshield (damn truckers -- and this one just got screwed up 2 days ago from some roadcrew fool - i can only suspect - who left a giant piece of sandpaper that happened to flip up and rub right up my windshield, sandpaper down, 6 days after I pay'd 250 for a new windshield ..... /rant....)

-Have had the battery replaced twice (The system is killing them Pioneer all around with 2 12 Rockfard and a 1000watt amp)

-2nd set of Kumho's in a year with new rims (added SPC camber to increase life on tires this time - squeaks on rear driver side - I think a bushing is blown)

-Have had the front struts replaced (damn DC streets suck - only reason I haven lowered it on Tien SS)

-Windshield wiper assembly tranny and all replaced (when 1" thick metal snaps in half - its a factory defect imo)

-Tranny replaced around 25000 under warranty.

-- BASICALLY I WANT A 2006 SI -- I cant deal with replace this and replace that ... even though I would count all this as wear and tear its getting harder to justify spending money on the car with the new SI coming out which is supposed to be mod friendly ... well just have to see.
Old 08-18-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
I've had 2 7thgen civics now.

So my '03 coupe EX (5MT) 38k miles
nothing at all, all the problems where caused by me

'04 coupe EX (4AT) 18k miles
interior panels continue to fall off
Multiple doors seal leaks and problems. We are about to lemon law this car because of the leaks. It really is that bad, you get in the car and the smell of mildew under the carpet is horrible.
The tranny is becoming jerky, but has no other signs of going bad yet.
Old 08-18-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
friends and family they don't come on this site, so I'll mention there cars too:

'01 Civic coupe HX (5MT), 120k miles
no problems

'01 Civic sedan LX (5MT), 48k miles
no problems

'02 Civic sedan LX (5MT), 72k miles
no problems
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
something that we should add to this thread is ur mods/driving habits. Did any of the mods lead to ur car being unreliable? Do u beat the *** outa ur car and is that why u have went through 3 trannys? Just a thought. Post it if u wanna
Old 08-18-2005
Abercrombie and Fitch

joescivic02 is on a distinguished road
hmmm i guess it is so true that 01 (first year cars) are problem cars.... and looking at the 03s... not many people have problems with them at all
Old 08-18-2005
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
67000 and starting to have some problems

A/C compressor/clutch replaced under warrenty but now it makes a loud knocking sound when the compressor kicks on - sound goes away if i push in clutch.

sometimes it feels like its going to die at idle (for like .8 seconds) then acts normal again. only does it once in a great great while - but still.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

MIVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
56,000 miles 01' ssm coupe 5spd
-3 batteries
-1 alternator
-2nd gear popping recall (2003)
-2 sets of struts
-Cat heat shield rattle
-alot of front end noise hopefully nothing more serious than struts
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

lowther420 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 SiG -Master break Cylinder

13,000 kms on it and had to replace the master brake cylinder - but other than that Nothing - so Far
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Kyle23
something that we should add to this thread is ur mods/driving habits. Did any of the mods lead to ur car being unreliable? Do u beat the *** outa ur car and is that why u have went through 3 trannys? Just a thought. Post it if u wanna
Well I am looking to see more from people who have had problems with there car without beating the **** out of it.

Come on people, over 600 people have looked at this thread, yet there are only 78 who have answered the poll.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

importuner86 is an unknown quantity at this point
interior pieces dont fit great and i've gotten a fare share of rattles

also the idiot who had the car before me sucked at installing a sri which proceded to fall off one day while i was driving and the wire to it wrapped around my steering column so i couldnt turn the car.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

damn out of all the threads I have seen about people complaining about them have major tranny problems, I would think more then 10 people would answer on that poll.
Old 08-18-2005

liljoe is an unknown quantity at this point
01 Civic LX 5spd 125k kilometers

UNDER WARRANTEE
front struts replaced TWICE
wheel bearing replaced
windshield molding came off
front bushings
air filter housing
something else that I was ticked off about but cant remeber right now, i'll edit this if I remember

AFTER I WAS OUT OF WARRANTEE
transmission is making a TON of noise when clutch is out, think it is throw-out bearing
second gear grinds 1 in 3 shifts maybe, pops out of gear sometimes
head gasket is blown
rear bushings making a lot of noise
power window switches "stick" sometimes
alternator died
car is rusting more than I would expect from a rustproofed 4.5 year old car (ontario winters are hell)
A/C compressor is making a lot of noise, vibrates my whole car when it turns on

My car is abused. I wont lie to you. I drive it like hell, but I do maintain it as well. I live in a harsh climate, so that doesnt help. The head gasket is because it is turbo'd. (crappy paper gasket on 01's) A lot of isssues are possibly because it is an 01.

Those are sh1tty exuses however, if you compare it to an older gen Honda (4th and 5th) then it is a big pile o crap. I see 15 year old civics driving around with less problems.

I like my car, but I didn't expect to have Ford-like quality issues when I bought my Honda.
Old 08-18-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
02 ssm coupe, manual, 28,000 miles... No problems other than the occasional grind in second gear. Fixed long ago by oil change and addition of some moly. Car runs smoother than when new.
Old 08-18-2005
Banned

01redJDM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by liljoe
second gear grinds 1 in 3 shifts maybe, pops out of gear sometimes
I have exact same problem with my transmision, I wonder if all 01 owners have this problem.
Old 08-19-2005
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
140,000 miles. i had a strut blow out at about 60,000. everything else good.
Old 08-19-2005
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
man i have been goin strong and im only at 65000.
Old 08-19-2005
I Am The Funky Monkey!!!

BausHaug is a jewel in the roughBausHaug is a jewel in the roughBausHaug is a jewel in the roughBausHaug is a jewel in the rough
There have only been 2 little problems with mine. I had to switch my CV boot out at 18,000 miles and I had my driver's side seat fixed cause it kept rocking all the time. Other than normal services and recall notices, nothing else has happened to mine. I'm actually considering selling it at the end of the year.
Old 08-19-2005
. . . The Master Debater . . .

amhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura about
had to replace my radiator at 35,000. I think a rock might have hit it in the right spot. currently at 70,000 and no problems.
Old 08-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to behold
Around 51k I snapped a timing belt which belt valves. That's the only real problem my car has had, that I know of....
Old 08-19-2005
Registered!!

keep them coming everyone, and please if you visit this thread, even if you dont respond, at least answer the poll question. So far only 103 people have answered out of the 1000 who have viewed this thread.
Old 08-20-2005
Registered!!

Bump.
Old 08-21-2005
Registered!!

ndskimr is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got 19,000 on the car now and since I've had it, had the fuel sending unit replaced and a new fuel pump put in. Other than that everything is good.
Old 08-21-2005
Registered!!

bucholzc is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2002 EX A/T is running great. I have had a few things go wrong with my car. First, in the first year there was a very annoying sound like a relay opening and closing coming from the A-pillar at the dash area on the driver's side, the dealer traced the noise to a broken weld in the body, it was fixed under warranty. The second was I needed to replace the front break-pads at about 45K.

Other than those items, there is nothing major to report on.

Quick Reply: Everyone Respond: Who has Had problems with there car and who hasnt had problems!!!