Lexus IS300 vs. Nissan 350Z - Page 2 - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2005   #31
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh
to be in debt over your head is the American Way....
how would you know what the American Way is...
Day_Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #32
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day_Tripper
He has visited the states a few times I hear
_Viper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #33
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
stupid question but do you have a family or do you drive around with friends a lot???

For an everyday driver, I wouldn't like to have a 350, but as a toy on the side, its an awesome car.

Personally, I'd go with the IS300 because first of all its a lexus, and I have this thing for done up sedans. Specially the IS300. Its one of the sexiest RWD sedans on the planet IMO. You'll have more fun with the IS300 because of all the TRD parts.
P.S try to get it in black.
kasimmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #34
Registered!!

slvrcivic will become famous soon enoughslvrcivic will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotarheels03
IS300 no question. Its the top luxury car in every reliability study pretty much every year. Awesome interior, and of course much more plush than a 350Z. The car looks awesome (too bad the new IS looks like ****), great resale value should you ever look to sell it, and it can be made fast much easier than a 350Z Ive heard of 2JZ-GE's with upwards of 700HP on the stock block, and at least one with just under 1000. Its a little underpowered in stock form, but that can be easily fixed.
you are very true. Here is the IS that almost hit 1000 hp, with a single turbo,.... no nitrous stock IS block (not the supra swap).

slvrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #35
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day_Tripper

Yeah, I don't know where that came from........ my credit card is maxed.......maybe I should blame that on living right near the US border....lol...jk
Hurts2bStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #36
Registered!!

BigE19 has a spectacular aura aboutBigE19 has a spectacular aura about
If you have a family go IS but 350Z all the way. Sure vision boys IS is fast after he dumped who knows how much in that thing. Put equal money in a 350Z and you'll probably show same numbers if not more.

As for resale the 350Z is holding its value better then an IS atleast in canada it is. G35 coupe/350Z are holding its value the best..

plus IS300 are all over the roads. there are a few 350Z's but I rarely see modified Z around my neck of the woods.
BigE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #37
Cocky guys kick ass!

Cocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura about
the 350z can never touch an IS300...
Cocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #38
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcivic
you are very true. Here is the IS that almost hit 1000 hp, with a single turbo,.... no nitrous stock IS block (not the supra swap).

Old 03-17-2005   #39
Diamond Member

Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the 350z cuz of the VQ35 engine, very nice growl to it. But then the lexus also has a nice grown too but not soo raspy. I've sat in both the Z and IS, I completely agree the IS300 has a nicer interior. The Z feels really cheap and like its going to fall apart. But once you start driving it you'll love it. On the other hand the IS is soo refine and quite. If your going to keep the car a few years u might want the IS cuz its just going to hold together better.

My grip about the Z is that it has issues with the tranny most of all. The suspension problems I think aren't that bad, if not easily work out when you replace stuff. Oh and compared to a civic tranny get ready for the Z its hard shifting, not smooth or anything near it. Nissan says its because they are not trying to make the car luxurious but more sport oriented.

My grip on the IS? Everyone has them, I go to Arcadia, Puente Hills or anything near there and its IS300 up the wazzooo. <---but that might not bother you. Also I don't like lexus suspension engineering. I dunno how aftermarket suspension components feel on the IS300 but I just never liked lexus for their suspensions. I've sat in sc430, ls430, gs300, is300 and they all seem to be really bad in the turns. You hit a hard turn and all of sudden theres a crap load of road noise, the suspension starts to bounce a little and the ride quality just kinda goes from smooth to horribly rough. AT least that was how it felt for me when I sat in the cars.

Well thats my 2cents.
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #40
Registered!!

just watch this video and you'll know what to go with...

http://www.jaymarino.com/video/C5%20...TurboIS300.wmv

Last edited by kasimmmmm; 03-17-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2005   #41

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
just create a poll already
silverem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #42
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
IS for sure. that car is sooo sexy lookin
Al Gore FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #43

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEM2
just create a poll already

I always thought a car was an expresion of who you are......lol

I guess I was wrong, its an expresion of what bored people who should be working so they don't get fired, think you should buy cause you dont even know what you like enough to chose for your self.
Old 03-17-2005   #44
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

baggedblue02 will become famous soon enoughbaggedblue02 will become famous soon enough
^ advice is always good though, just b/c I want something doesn't mean consumer reports won't talk me out of it...
baggedblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #45
Registered!!

nickm748 is an unknown quantity at this point
350z
nickm748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggedblue02
^ advice is always good though, just b/c I want something doesn't mean consumer reports won't talk me out of it...

Advice is good......I was refering to taking a poll of who the hell knows.....lots of smart people on here, and lots of.........well we can just call them "special" people on here
Old 03-17-2005   #47
Boosted Auto

deciuss is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurts2bStock
Average Canadian workers earns $30,200 compared with $29,076 for average Americans. Average Americans take home two percent more of their gross wage than Canadians - 26% vs 28% . But higher wages give Canadians a slight edge, $24,764 to $24,424.

Thanks Google...

wrong average american pay is around 18-20 grand. us cencous plus the classes that i have taken have also put it around that mark.
deciuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by deciuss
wrong average american pay is around 18-20 grand. us cencous plus the classes that i have taken have also put it around that mark.
Montana posted the lowest average pay ($25,194) in 2001

Read this please http://www.bls.gov/news.release/annpay.nr0.htm

or maybe you belive U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics http://www.bls.gov/ro6/ro6pay97.htm

It states there the national figure is $30,336

Thanks for the nerd-off, lets get back to talking about cars....schoolboy

Last edited by Hurts2bStock; 03-17-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2005   #49
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky
the 350z can never touch an IS300...
your kidding right? IS300 are so damn over rated it makes my blood boil!
VisionBoy has so much money dumped in that fart can! Like I said put equal money into a 350Z and you will see the outcome.

What about that doods twin turbo 350Z? that **** isnt to be f'ed around with.

Last edited by BigE19; 03-17-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2005   #50
Registered!!

gotarheels03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE19
your kidding right? IS300 are so damn over rated it makes my blood boil!
VisionBoy has so much money dumped in that fart can! Like I said put equal money into a 350Z and you will see the outcome.

What about that doods twin turbo 350Z? that **** isnt to be f'ed around with.
the potential of the 2JZ far exceeds whatever's in a 350Z........do some research on the 2J before you call the IS300 "overrated"
gotarheels03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #51
Diamond Member

VQ35 potential isn't that great, thats something you gotta admit. Unless u bolt on some serious FI you won't get much more out of the engine. Nissan did a good job of tuning the engine to its potential. Now I hear the Unichip coming out from G35 which has the VQ35 engine, alone will help u gain a extra 20 - 30 hp and if u have FI expect near 80-100hp. At first I didn't believe it then I saw some dynos its quite amazing what the chip can do.
Old 03-20-2005   #52
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Quote:
Montana posted the lowest average pay ($25,194) in 2001

Read this please http://www.bls.gov/news.release/annpay.nr0.htm

or maybe you belive U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics http://www.bls.gov/ro6/ro6pay97.htm

It states there the national figure is $30,336

Thanks for the nerd-off, lets get back to talking about cars....schoolboy

The average actually a lot lower in real life terms, because it said the statistics are based off of people who qualify for federal and state unemployment insurance.

This leaves out illegal immigrants, people on work visas and sweat shop workers. These people occupy most of the low wage jobs, so by there exclusion it artifically boosts the average. If you include all those people then yes the average would probably be in the 20's. Just like the US census, underestimates the US population.
TemjinX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #53
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh
to be in debt over your head is the American Way....you can approved for just about anything regardless.....just pay stupid high interest. ****...they let you use personal cheques at grocery stores...lol.

it's the american way, thats why the US isn't in deep recession like Japan. The japanese have one of the highest savings rates, but they've also been in recession since 1997 and still doesn't look like it going to come out of it yet. Europe has been hit with low growth for the past few yrs. American spending is one of the only things keeping the American afloat. Spending causes consumption to grow and consumption makes up the majority of GDP. The middle class in that consumption equation, consumes the most. Thats why tax cuts that benefit the middle class the most, actually makes the economy grow because they actually spend it. You give tax cuts to the rich and they just save it for a rainly day, hence why Reaganomics doesn't work.

I agree debt is bad and Americans should not spend what they don't have, but at the same time their spending creates more demand which in turns prevent employers from firing you or causes them to create more jobs. Its a weird cycle. Economics is funny in that way.

Oh yeah they also let you pay with check cards and credit cards at the grocery stores tooo .
Old 03-20-2005   #54
Registered!!

well back to the topic. I say is300. If you ever plan on moving stuff don't get the 350z, that car is way too small to be daily driverless you have another car to move stuff.
Old 03-20-2005   #55
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotarheels03
the potential of the 2JZ far exceeds whatever's in a 350Z........do some research on the 2J before you call the IS300 "overrated"
Fellas you guys should check up on the Nismo Website...and read on some 350Z forums. Wasnt the VQ motor rated #1 by JD power?

Last edited by BigE19; 03-20-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2005   #56
Diamond Member

That doesn't mean anything BigE19. It doesn't mean that the VQ35 has more potential that the 2JZ, I doubt JDP will be comparing engines that are modded, more like comparing engines that are stock. It could mean that for the price and the way the engine is tuned its one of the best price to power ratios.
Old 03-20-2005   #57
Registered!!

350Z is definately an awesome car... its got the styling and speed. Its a nice toy to own to take out on a weekend.
But if you're planning on buying a car that you're going to be modding or driving all year round, i recommend the IS300. Its an awesome car in all the ways. And the Lexus badge says everything about its quality.
As for the Visionboys IS300 comment, I think there's nothing wrong with dumping money in a car to make it faster... afterall, thats what all tuners do. Those guys really know what they're doing and thats the reason why they've shaken up the underground tuners world.
Old 03-20-2005   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
The average actually a lot lower in real life terms, because it said the statistics are based off of people who qualify for federal and state unemployment insurance.

This leaves out illegal immigrants, people on work visas and sweat shop workers. These people occupy most of the low wage jobs, so by there exclusion it artifically boosts the average. If you include all those people then yes the average would probably be in the 20's. Just like the US census, underestimates the US population.
I started by saying it was cool you guys pay less for cars....should have ended with that;
Quote:
Originally Posted by deciuss
He claims US census puts it at that mark, it dosn't.

So then are you claiming that Canadian stats are somehow superiorly accurate? I was comparing one government created stat with another. Canadian stats are created in a very similar manner and that is all I was claiming and comparing.

And only trying to state that regardless of how much your dollar is worth, if the average non-sweatshop/illigal immigrant/I'm on a work visa person in both countries take home close to the same amout, then the fact that you can buy a car for 8 grand less is a pretty sweat deal.

And anyone that wants so desperatly to make themselves feel like they didn't waste their tuition money, by arguing some government statistics when we should be talking about cars, well they my friend can suck my hairy ***
Old 03-20-2005   #59
Registered!!

Dlmille is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, I would have to agree. IS would be my choice. I don't have to ability to run two cars so I need something more functional
Dlmille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #60
Registered!!

Quote:
I started by saying it was cool you guys pay less for cars....should have ended with that;

He claims US census puts it at that mark, it dosn't.

So then are you claiming that Canadian stats are somehow superiorly accurate? I was comparing one government created stat with another. Canadian stats are created in a very similar manner and that is all I was claiming and comparing.

And only trying to state that regardless of how much your dollar is worth, if the average non-sweatshop/illigal immigrant/I'm on a work visa person in both countries take home close to the same amout, then the fact that you can buy a car for 8 grand less is a pretty sweat deal.

And anyone that wants so desperatly to make themselves feel like they didn't waste their tuition money, by arguing some government statistics when we should be talking about cars, well they my friend can suck my hairy ***

You used the statistics from the US Labor Bureau to support your arugment. I merely stated their is a hole in your arguement if the whole basis of your argument is based off the data from the Labor Bureau. Yes i'm sure the candian data for labor is probably inaccurate as well, but those inaccuracies can become expontential. The US has a larger immigrate population and more immigrates come to the US legally or illegaly everyday, therefore the inaccuracy for the US is larger when compared to Canada.

Others have stated that we don't get cars cheaper in the US, when you do the currency conversion, its the same. You said you can get a civic for 23k can, thats 19k US with the current exchange rate. 23k US comes out to be 28k can if you round, so we are not buying cars at a cheaper price, its the same, give or take given the exchange rates.

Thats what people are tryin to tell you. Your arguement about US citizens getting the same cars for cheaper is incorrect, its your lack of currency conversion is what makes you think we're getting the cars for 8k cheaper.

Yes i do go to college, a 4yr University and i study economics and business management. I love my civic and i'm happy to be on the site.

From the nature of your reply, it doesn't seem like you went to college or need further education. Since you said you have a visa for both countries, maybe you should enroll at a junior college and educate yourself, while your over in the states. Your last statement "well they my friend can suck my hairy " is a perfect personification of the intellect you display.