Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Good strut bars vs. poor, cheap strut bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Good strut bars vs. poor, cheap strut bars

Ok. Is there a difference between a $9 eBay strut bar such as this (brand unknown), and a more expensive, name brand one (like DC Sports I guess)?

What brand of front and rear struts would you recommend, and where is the cheapest place to get them?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2002
Premium Member & 1 Millionth Poster!

THEANTIRICEST has disabled reputation
This may help
Old 08-04-2002
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Uh, thanks. All that said was that DC Sports and Neuspeed were the best, which answered one of my questions. But do the cheap eBay ones really suck?

IronFist
Old 08-04-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
from what i was told, they all do the same, not really any difference performance wise, the thing you are buying is the name, and the look, and for some of the guys with aem intakes, those generic bars won't fit over their intake, so they have to either go actechnic, neuspeed or dc
Old 08-04-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
the only ones I'll recommend is neuspeed and mugen. for their solid one piece design without pivot points.

whats the point of getting a strut bar when it can move or bend? neuspeed and mugen put more effort in their design...

while those ebay bars, they're all the same. they just slap on different mounting points for different vehicles. not much R&D going into designing those strut bars. but the price is definitely cheap. 20 something bucks shipped to you compare to 100 bucks or more with the name brands.

I think those ebay bars are getting better. I've seen ones before that I can bend and break easily. I just purchase a front strut bar for a 97 Accord and it was pretty sturdy... I had to torque it down a butt load... and every once in awhile you will probaly have to tigthen it again.. and eventually if you drive hard it will probably bend...

but its 25 bucks. can't argue with that.

*shrug* I'm buying an ebay rear shock bar for my civic for the time being.. but... sucks for me, I had to choose a seller that doesn't seem to have the product in stock.. and I've been waiting for almost a month now... I think I will probably recieve it eventually, but geez.

look for powersellers, they have 95%+ positive ratings...

still, once I can get my hand on a solid rear shock bar, I will get rid of my ebay bar (if it ever comes)

Old 08-05-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
ya i really dont know why some strut bars have the pivot joints when its supposed to stop the cars chassis from flexing... it might minimize it but it will still flex... as to the one peice design, i dont think the cars end is going to flex. so ya i'm with cap the only ones i recommend are the one peice designed ones. n i heard DC has come out with a one peice as well now. i think the cheap ebay one is mainly for looks, who know, it might even help a lil.
Old 08-05-2002
Registered!!

MSoft is an unknown quantity at this point
I've spoken to a shop guy and he's commented that the no-namers have been known to snap on pressure. Moreso on dropped cars than stock, and moreso on a good suspension setup (i.e., Koni's). Also, if you ever plan to run on a track it'll definitely be dangerous. Just picture how a hood or engine would look taking on impact from a snapped strut bar, before you spend the $25.

If you're serious about getting the benefits of a strut bar, mind as well get the full proper benefits. You can also use glue to stick on your foglights, why use bolts? (sorry for the sarcasm)

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-05-2002
Premium Member

Hmm, it appears that the pivot points have bolts, do you think it would be possible just to tighten them up all the way to prevent motion? Or perhaps weld them so they can no longer move? Like a DIY one-piece strut bar?!!

IronFist