Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

strut bars or sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
escapeartist is an unknown quantity at this point
strut bars or sway bars?

Sorry this may seem dumb. But, not only am I new to civics but to cars as well.

I want to stiffen the suspension should I consider DC Sport Strut Bar, and DC Sport Tie Bar or the Eibach anti-roll kit. Which would any of you recommed I use?

Thanks, any input is welcome.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
The sway bar is more effective if you want to stiffen up your chasis. But they all work together like the rear lower tie bar will help prevent your rear sway bar from ripping out your controls arms. I think that's the problem if your sway bars are very thick and strong. But yeah, sway bars are more effective. Strut bars are more for show...but it does help a little.
Old 06-20-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Springs and shocks will do more for handling than any amount of bars. After that, then bars will help.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

Decamo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I would do:
Lowering springs
Sway bar
Strut bars

From the most dramatic change to the least.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

escapeartist is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the info. I now plan to install Eibach sportline springs,Eibach anti roll bars, and the align. kit. With 214/45-17 Michelin Pilot sport a/s hope they dont rub!!

Again thanks!
Marc
Old 06-20-2002
Premium Member

I think you'll be disappointed if you don't put good shocks with those springs.
Old 06-20-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
path I'll go is:

tires (bigger rims and tires? thats up to you) but better rubber changes handling charateristic majorly...

if you dont have good tires, no suspension modification will help.

swap for stiffer springs and shocks... but choose ones thats comfortable and acceptable to you...

swap out the rear sway for an RSX 19mm....

put on those strut bars and tie bars if need-be....

basically, just keep going down the steps until its stiff as you like it to be... (and remember, stiffer doesn't mean its better.)

suspension tunning is all about your preferences, I see people buying bars and slapping them on their car without knowing what it'll do really... or if anything at all... you gotta realize what kind of handling you want (and in general, we all want a neutral handle car that'll turn the way we want it to turn... ) and what components of the suspension will help get you the handling you want...

keep on researching and you'll find that the suspension is one of the more confusing aspect of car tunning.
Old 06-20-2002
Premium Member

Yoda is correct. A good set of tires is the biggest bang for the buck for handling improvements. Then come the suspension mods. Best done one item at a time until you get the ride and handling you want or need.

When you consider that the 7th gen Civic was aimed at an older buyer, the OE tires were selected mostly for ride comfort with handling as probably the last thing to be considered.
Old 06-23-2002
Registered!!

frekyjason2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
my bars work well for me, i say get both.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

amishman22 is on a distinguished road
Re: strut bars or sway bars?

anybody know what would be the best spring/shock combo to get for lowering a car like an inch?
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

I completely agree w/ Bartkat with a slight difference of opinion. Biggest bang for the buck for handling, tires are the only thing you should think about.

Suspension...you need to buy a full coilover with adjustability. Don't buy struts and springs seperately. Although it will cost you money to buy a complete set from one company, it is worth it. It was designed that way for a reason.

So IMO the suspension progression should be tires then full coilovers then wheels w/ good rubber then strut and or sway bars.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

wheres a good place to get a complete set?
Old 10-26-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ONE7thREBUILT
I completely agree w/ Bartkat with a slight difference of opinion. Biggest bang for the buck for handling, tires are the only thing you should think about.

Suspension...you need to buy a full coilover with adjustability. Don't buy struts and springs seperately. Although it will cost you money to buy a complete set from one company, it is worth it. It was designed that way for a reason.

So IMO the suspension progression should be tires then full coilovers then wheels w/ good rubber then strut and or sway bars.
driver, tires, dampers, sways, springs. Strut bars don't do ****.
Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by robbclark1
driver, tires, dampers, sways, springs. Strut bars don't do ****.

That first part is key.
Old 10-27-2008
Registered!!

again, anybody know where to get a good full set of springs and shocks?
Old 10-27-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^ebay is just about the cheapest besides buying it used. but i dont suggest buying it used because you dont know how much punishment theyve gone through
Old 10-28-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amishman22
www.google.com
Old 10-29-2008
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute

if you only want to go down a inch look at eibach pro kit and leave your stock struts. thats the cheap easy way to go.
Old 10-29-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by amishman22
Have you heard of the internet? All joking and trash talkin aside, it depends on where you reside. There is no best place to look for everone. Find the set you want and look every where.

The best deals are the ones that don't last for more than a few nights.
Old 11-01-2008
Registered!!

for dropping my ride like an inch would it be best to just get the lowering springs or like a whole kit?
Old 11-28-2008
Registered!!

mugenpower07 is an unknown quantity at this point

It really depends on what the person is looking to do. If your looking for a decent lower and nice ride value. I would go with Eibach stock and spring combo. But i would spend a little more and get full coilovers. You can set your ride height were ever you want help with the bigger rim and tire setup your going with. It also the first upgrade anyone sould do to there car. And is the best suspension mod for your car.
Old 11-28-2008
Registered!!

mugenpower07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look it really depends on how you want to drive your car. If your looking for decent lower and good ride value good with the Eibach spring and stock combo. But if your looking to do all the strut bars and sway bars. I would wait and save a little more and get a set of full coilovers. Full coilovers are the first mod anyone sould do to there car, once you had a true coilover you never want any other type of suspension. With a full coilover you can set the ride height were ever you need it. So you will not rub with the bigger rims and tire setup. Then if you dont think thats shift enough for you. Get the sway bar and tie bar. Strut bars is really not a big thing. The anti-roll kit is real good investment to. Also get the camber kit. Esp if your plan on lower your car. Aliment is important. And with coilover sometimes if it comes with the camber plate for the front makes it alot easier to adjust.