Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Need a little help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jose_rodz148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need a little help...

Hey all, this is my first post on this forum and I'm new to Civic ownership. I just bought a cheap and cheerful 2002 DX coupe with the proper 5-speed manual, yay! I didn't really do that thorough inspection of this car when I bought, since it drove very well for a 16+ year old car. Now that I've had it for a couple days ive had time to notice the little things wrong with the car, mostly cosmetic, as well as some atrocious accident repair, but still very acceptable in my opinion. The reason I'm here and the reason I need help is one concern with the right front suspension. I didn't notice this when I bought the car and now that I've seen it, it does explain a couple things. Since I don't have the vocabulary I'm just going to explain as I see it. While the left front wheel is perfectly situated inside the wheel well, nice and centered, the right wheel is not. It sits further back and leaves a noticeable gap between it and the front of the wheel well. If I remember correctly, this has to do with suspension alignment or incorrectly installed components. The previous owner told me and showed me receipts for a front crossmember that had to be replaced in order for the suspension to be able to be aligned, and as far as I know, the alignment is fine, not perfect but fine. What concerns me is the position of the wheel and the fact that the turning circle in this car is different when turning left versus right. Of course now I ask, any chance of fixing this problem with proper adjustment??? Of course, I won't be doing the work since I swore I would never work on a Honda suspension after the last time I did it on an Accord I used to have. I'll post a pic later to show the comparison. Thanks for your attention and I hope to gather some ideas here!
Old 09-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Need a little help...

Best case senario, they installed Sedan parts on your Coupe causing the issue.

Otherwise likely major frame and subframe damage.
Old 09-24-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

alignment is fine
If it was really "fine" you wouldn't be posting here with these problems

the right wheel is not. It sits further back and leaves a noticeable gap between it and the front of the wheel well.
I'd expect the right front got curbed and pushed the wheel back, now SOMETHING is bent.
Caster is gonna be super low on that side that has the wheel pushed back and it probably pulls to that side.
any chance of fixing this problem with proper adjustment???
I'd guess NO.

I swore I would never work on a Honda suspension after
LMAO there's not a lot to it on this car, simple MacPherson strut design

Someone already replaced the subframe, so what did they miss? LCA? Strut? Knuckle?
Bent tie rod? Rack damage?
Old 11-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jose_rodz148 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
If it was really "fine" you wouldn't be posting here with these problems

I'd expect the right front got curbed and pushed the wheel back, now SOMETHING is bent.
Caster is gonna be super low on that side that has the wheel pushed back and it probably pulls to that side.
I'd guess NO.

LMAO there's not a lot to it on this car, simple MacPherson strut design

Someone already replaced the subframe, so what did they miss? LCA? Strut? Knuckle?
Bent tie rod? Rack damage?
Haven't been back here in a while to update this problem. And yeah, you're certainly right in your replies for this problem of mine. Alignment is not well. I'm getting premature wear on the inside of the right front tire and the car actually pulls a little to the left, not to the right. My guess in just simple observation while doing an HID retrofit for the headlights and having the front bumper cover off is that the previous owner hired the cheapest possible body shop to fix the damage. I have to have it looked at, just haven't had time. I just hope I'm fortunate enough to get this sorted out because I really enjoy this car, despite the issues I didn't notice during the 35-mile test drive...

Thanks guys!