Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Need new front strut assemblies. Brand suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
willysp has a spectacular aura aboutwillysp has a spectacular aura about
Need new front strut assemblies. Brand suggestions?

Hi,
A year and a half ago I replaced both front strut/coil assemblies with Gabriel from autozone. Six months later, I replaced them again because they were bad and I upgraded to a more expensive Gabriel assembly. The replacements are again bad and I want to buy a different brand.
I decided to buy the complete assembly because I didn't want to deal with compressing the original springs and all that.
I would like to know what you think about Monroe shocks. Are they better than Gabriel?
I was told that KYB are good quality but I would need to buy coil springs and install them (which I don't think I will have a problem but it will add $$ to the final cost)
I am NOT looking for sporty ride.

Thanks,

Old 02-11-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Need new front strut assemblies. Brand suggestions?

Pretty sure KYB is stock strut manufacturer. Gabriel and Monroe are garbage..use KYB is probably th ebest option for the price. Should be able to use the current springs..here's a link to KYB: https://www.partsgeek.com/mvv577t-ho...Strut+Assembly

Other brands to consider are: Tokico, Tien, Koni.
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

bilstein dont forget,... i run monroe front they are ok for regular oem feel.. i doubth they will make 200k like the OEM's .. they lasted so far 2 years no problem..
Old 02-14-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

My vote goes for Tokico (HP a.k.a. blues). Great quality, but they do run a bit more expensive than the aforementioned ones you can find at like.. sears and pep boys.

over at THmotorsports.com, full set of 4 will run you $510.62 shipped. A bit of a forewarning, though, make sure you buy struts made to fit 01-02 civics. If you buy ones made for 03-05, the crash bolts won't fit, well, at least in the fronts. Well, not without modding the struts. 01-02 use 14mm crash bolts, 03-05 use 16mm
Old 02-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

for stock feel, KYB

what's wrong with removing the parts from the last set you have and install in the new shocks?

wasn't gabriel an off-shoot of monroe? Anyway, even my old VW from the 80's 90's do not go well with monroe/gabriel.
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies. Since I bought a pair of struts/coils, I trashed the old ones so if I want to use a good brand, it seems I will need to buy all the parts separately. I don't mind to put them together (even though I bought assemblies to avoid putting them together) but I can imagine the price for all the parts will make the whole thing more expensive than I was planning. I know you get what you paid for but I am trying to save some bucks.
Old 02-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

No, you still have springs and top hats on the car. No need to buy new springs or top hats if you swap them to the new shocks
Old 02-15-2018
Registered!!

this is what I bought: https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...71_239362_2888

I bought a pair of those, remove the three top nuts, the two bottom bolts, got rid of the whole thing, and replaced them with the whole assemblies. Sorry for the misunderstanding; I do not know the name of all the other little parts

Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

I noticed that the loaded strut is cheaper than the strut alone from gabriel... thats a red flag for me
Old 02-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by willysp
this is what I bought: https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...71_239362_2888

I bought a pair of those, remove the three top nuts, the two bottom bolts, got rid of the whole thing, and replaced them with the whole assemblies. Sorry for the misunderstanding; I do not know the name of all the other little parts

you don't need to buy any of the other parts that are in the whole assembly.

you will need to disassemble it and transfer to the new shocks
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

I finally get what you mean. Sorry for being slow...