View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: K24 vs. K20?

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx

What people have done is do the k-series version of the frankenstein swap: K20 block with a k24 head.
Don’t you mean a K20 head on a K24 block? I have heard of a K20 head on a K24 block, but never a K24 head on a K20 block.
Old 01-19-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I had that backwards

Measurements were good. Mixed up respective blocks and heads
Old 01-19-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Yeah. I had that backwards

Measurements were good. Mixed up respective blocks and heads
I see, thanks for clarifying. What effect would putting a K20 head on a K24 have on reliability though?
Old 01-19-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

why would that cause reliability concerns?
Old 01-19-2018
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Crappy shade tree mekaniking
Old 01-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
why would that cause reliability concerns?
I don't know. I know that upgrading the cams can though.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 01-19-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?!? Why would upgrading the cams would reduce reliability?!?
Old 01-19-2018
Registered!!

?!? Why would upgrading the cams would reduce reliability?!?
I have heard from several reputable tuners that upgrading the cams puts more stress on the already problematic timing chain and tensioner.
Old 01-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Are polyurethane bushings worth it?

my answer is , what you intend to use it for?

for a race car gaining stability os engine not moving and getting extra vibratiomaybe.. on top race team.... for everyday runner, unless u build a monster why do it?

what u going to gain besides vibrtion and stiffness a touch...
money spent elsewhere can get u more performance...

for me is always benefit vs $$$ , and what am trying to do..
Old 01-20-2018
Registered!!

Which sway bar bushings should I buy?

I bought a 21MM rear sway bar from a 2006 RSX-S, which obviously won't work with my 12MM bushings. My question is who makes good polyurethane rear sway bar bushings for an RSX-S? I searched for about 30 minutes, but I can't find any. I can only find 19MM bushings, but I need 21MM. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Re: Which sway bar bushings should I buy?

Did not know they were so difficult to have poly bushings..

try searching on RSX forums, maybe they have an answer.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...-civic-ep3-32/

http://forums.clubrsx.com/
Old 01-21-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Search this Holmes: http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...r-bushings.asp
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
I tried it, I don't see any poly bushings.
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

try searching on RSX forums, maybe they have an answer.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...-civic-ep3-32/

http://forums.clubrsx.com/
Could I use universal bushings like these?
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-21-2018
Administrator
Administrator

general consensus is you need to get the universal 21mm ones, but there have been issues with them fitting in the OEM bracket. Most people have resorted to saying screw it and going with OEM rubber bushings
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

general consensus is you need to get the universal 21mm ones, but there have been issues with them fitting in the OEM bracket. Most people have resorted to saying screw it and going with OEM rubber bushings
These come with a bracket, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Amazon Amazon
I don't see why no one makes RSX-S poly sway bar bushings. Maybe I'll just try to widen the holes in my 12MM poly bushings from the old sway bar and use those. I refuse to use OEM rubber bushings!
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

Yea, me neither. I don't get it. I am sure that people would buy them if they were available. I WILL NOT buy crappy rubber bushings though.
Old 01-21-2018
Administrator
Administrator

OEM rubber bushings do their job well. If you're that gung-ho about going poly, make sure you stock up on some silicone grease
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

OEM rubber bushings do their job well. If you're that gung-ho about going poly, make sure you stock up on some silicone grease
I prefer poly because I never have to think about them again. They won't crack, sag, dry out or turn to mush if oil leaks onto them. Rubber bushings also flex, limiting the performance of the sway bar that I just spent $77 on. I have heard people complain about squeaking, but I have always used Energy Suspension bushings and lubed them up good with the included grease, and I never heard a single squeak. Even if they did squeak, I much prefer squeaks to decreased handling performance. Just a personal preference.
Old 01-21-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Those amazon ones or these should work

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.5125

I doubt you would notice the difference between rubber and poly for a sway bar. Other bushings yes. Those other reasons are great for going the poly route though
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

3) You kinda already answered your own question
I guess what I was asking is if the K24 could accelerate the car any faster since it has more torque.
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Those amazon ones or these should work

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.5125

I doubt you would notice the difference between rubber and poly for a sway bar. Other bushings yes. Those other reasons are great for going the poly route though l:yup:
Thank you very much. I also don't think that I would notice a difference between new poly and new rubber bushings, but I know that I felt a difference when I replaced my worn out OEM bushings with poly. So I use poly bushings for longevity and reliability over anything else.
Old 01-21-2018
Administrator
Administrator

I had ES poly bushings on my 2002's front LCAs. Even greased up, those things squeaked like a **** after some time. Luckily I installed zerk fittings to lube them up, but silicone grease was thicker than ****. Sticky AF, too
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

I had ES poly bushings on my 2002's front LCAs. Even greased up, those things squeaked like a **** after some time. Luckily I installed zerk fittings to lube them up, but silicone grease was thicker than ****. Sticky AF, too
Did you use the black or red ones? I have the black ones. I believe that the black ones have graphite in them and the red ones don't, so maybe that's why mine don't squeak. Anyways, if mine squeak, I'll just install grease fittings too. That's a great idea, thanks. Also, did you notice any improvement in handling with the poly bushings? I noticed that the steering felt more precise and responsive than with the rubber bushings, and the ride quality didn't suffer. However, the rubber ones that the poly bushings replaced were cracked and worn out, so who knows if the improvement was from having poly bushings or new bushings.
Old 01-21-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Black. I replaced bushings that were gone (bolt hole bit fell right out). I chalked the steering response improvement to having actual bushings instead of broke as hell ones
Old 01-22-2018
Registered!!

Help! Strut bolt broke off!

I had a difficult time replacing my back struts and installing lowering springs this weekend. The first one, the bolt was seized to the metal sleeve inside the lower bushing, and it broke when I tried to break it loose. I took off the whole rear trailing arm and cut the bolt, and unscrewed it with vise grips. It only took me the whole day, but I got it done. However, the second strut didn’t go as well as the first one. The lower mounting bolt was so rusted to the lower trailing arm that the head broke off when I barely turned it. FML. So now the strut isn’t held in very well and it makes clunking noises when I hit bumps. So how do I get the bolt out now? I am thinking I will have to take the lower trailing arm to a machine shop, but any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Help! Strut bolt broke off!

Penetrating fluid and heat are your friends when working on Hondas.
You can try welding a nut to the broken bit. Apply lots of penetrating fluid and let it soak in. The heat from the welding may be enough, but you can apply some heat to where to bolt threads in, just don't heat up the strut body or it might explode or melt seals.
Could grab a used trailing arm from a junkyard. Call the machine shops and try and get a price first, machining cost may be more than another trailing arm.
Old 01-22-2018
Registered!!

Re: Help! Strut bolt broke off!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Penetrating fluid and heat are your friends when working on Hondas.
You can try welding a nut to the broken bit. Apply lots of penetrating fluid and let it soak in. The heat from the welding may be enough, but you can apply some heat to where to bolt threads in, just don't heat up the strut body or it might explode or melt seals.
Could grab a used trailing arm from a junkyard. Call the machine shops and try and get a price first, machining cost may be more than another trailing arm.
I soaked both strut bolts in penetrating oil, and I heated up the bolt on the passenger side, but it still broke. I didn’t try getting the nut on the drivers side because it was by the gas tank, but I soaked both bolts in penetrating oil a couple times a day for 3 days before trying to break them loose. It obviously didn’t do any good though. I will get prices on a junkyard trailing arm at my local junkyards, that would probably be my best bet.
Old 01-22-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
I have heard from several reputable tuners that upgrading the cams puts more stress on the already problematic timing chain and tensioner.
did you ask them or just read it somewhere?
Old 01-22-2018
Registered!!

did you ask them or just read it somewhere?
I heard several tuners say it, so I asked them to clarify, and they said it can. Here is one video talking about it: (Skip to around 13:15.)

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave