Strut bars? - Honda Civic Forum

Suspension Performance Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2018   #1  
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice
Strut bars?

I am looking at strut bars for my Civic to reinforce the chassis. However, I don't want to waste my money on something that is just extra weight. So my questions are:

1. Do strut bars have to be expensive to be effective? I can get strut bars for as little as about $20, but I can also get high end strut bars that cost as much as $150 or more. I would think that a cheap bar wouldn't be effective and would be a waste of money, but I'm not sure how strong a strut bar would have to be to be effective.

2. Would installing strut bars noticeably improve handling?

3. Would I notice a bigger improvement installing a strut bar on the front or the back?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
D17VTECPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018   #2  
Administrative Rice. WAT?!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of
Re: Strut bars?

1) Not necessarily, but the best performing strut bars are one-piece ones, unlike the 3-piece ones you find on ebay. I'm sure they'll perform well, but not as good. If you can find a neuspeed one for the 7thgen, those were great. Too bad you didn't look into it earlier, because I sold the one I had for $100. About the normal price you [used to be able to] find 'em for used. New, you'll find them for like $140. DC sports also makes a solid one-piece bar, and, although easier to find, in the upper range as a new neuspeed bar at like $130-140 on ebay

2) Yes. Truth be told, I didn't really notice the difference when I first installed it. Thought I had wasted my money, but kept it anyways. Changed suspension from spring/struts to full coilovers and decided not to install it because it was a pain in the *** to install. Took the car for a test drive and noticed a lot more play in the steering wheel when turning, and that was at low speeds. Steering didn't feel nearly as responsive as it did with the bar installed. I didn't even make it down the block before I turned around to install it.

3) Front, for sure. Ties the front upper struts together and that's where it'll flex more since that's where more stress gets put during turns.
xRiCeBoYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018   #3  
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

strut bars were covered in the same link i posted before for you.

have you not read it?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...questions.html

also, as said before, it improves steering feel. not performance. Did you not read my response then?

rear bars - read the link posted. It's covered there. I wrote them threads so that people would read it instead of asking... that way we would not be parroting the same thing over and over.
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018   #4  
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice

Now that I have ordered a Neuspeed front strut bar, should I get a rear strut bar too? Would I notice any improvements?
Old 03-03-2018   #5  
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I explained that on link above, where there are also multiple links to to other threads
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018   #6  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaidoji View Post
I explained that on link above, where there are also multiple links to to other threads
Ok thank you.