View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Old 01-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: RSX sway bars?

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Their research prolly showed 99% of people buying a Civic don’t take corners fast enough to spill their coffee maybe...
.Ok, but besides price, what would the disadvantage be?
Old 01-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Forget front bars. Save the money and time and efforts (fronts are a pain to remove install.

Change the endlinks at same time.

Stop wondering, just do. Rears are easy to do, aside from frozen endlink nuts.
Old 01-14-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the EM2's front sway bar 25.4mm (1")? Or is that only for the EX trim? I just remember seeing that my EM2's front bar was hella thick. I vaguely recall reading that they did make the front bar much smaller on the 03-05's, but that's me talking out of my butt.

To answer OP's question, there really is no disadvantage to upgrading the OEM 12mm rear sway to an RSX 19mm. Even the RSX-S 21mm (or 22mm? I forget) is a good upgrade, but those are harder to find for a good price. Look on RSX forums, you can find 19mm's for cheap. I got one on club rsx for like $100. Just make sure it includes the brackets and bushings. With that mod, endlink upgrades are always a good idea, since the beefier bar tends to put excess stress on the OEM ones.
Old 01-14-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Isn't the EM2's front sway bar 25.4mm (1")?
No. Mine is 16MM in the front and 12MM in the back. Not sure about 01-03, but my white 04 Civic and my blue 05 Civic both have the same sway bars.
Old 01-14-2018
Registered!!

With that mod, endlink upgrades are always a good idea, since the beefier bar tends to put excess stress on the OEM ones.
Would Moog sway bar links be an upgrade? The Moog sway bar links are the best ones I know of.
Old 01-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Acura-...BaD1DT&vxp=mtr
$77.00 shipped looks like a good deal
Old 01-14-2018
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Would Moog sway bar links be an upgrade? The Moog sway bar links are the best ones I know of.
Moog are effectively OEM replacements. Beefier bars had a tendency to snap the tiny little 5mm stem of the OEM endlinks, so people (myself included) went and pre-emptively swapped them for beefier ones (shown below)

Unfortunately, I don't know where you can get them anymore, since the ones pictured were actually made and sold by a dude on the forum (search Grey's endlinks and you'll find them). Grey pretty much owned the DIY section on this forum back in the 7thgencivic days. I'm pretty sure I bought a set back then for like $60

edit: I stand corrected. I guess the moog ones are a hair beefier than stock, but not as beefy as the ones pictured above.
oem vs. moog

I should've pulled the entire rear sway bar assembly off my old car before I donated it.. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

edit 2: all else fails, you can grab a pair of RSX endlinks

edit 3: yeah, I'm editing again.. lol. Upon further research, endlink upgrade isn't quite necessary for 19mm, only really required if you upgrade past that (e.g. progress 22mm, RSX-s 22mm, etc). I'd personally just do it for peace of mind that I know I wouldn't have to touch them again because a part failed

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 01-14-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2018
Registered!!

Moog are effectively OEM replacements. Beefier bars had a tendency to snap the tiny little 5mm stem of the OEM endlinks, so people (myself included) went and pre-emptively swapped them for beefier ones (shown below)

[img]https://www.civicforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70604&stc=1&d=11771719 18[/img

Unfortunately, I don't know where you can get them anymore, since the ones pictured were actually made and sold by a dude on the forum (search Grey's endlinks and you'll find them). Grey pretty much owned the DIY section on this forum back in the 7thgencivic days. I'm pretty sure I bought a set back then for like $60

edit: I stand corrected. I guess the moog ones are a hair beefier than stock, but not as beefy as the ones pictured above.
oem vs. moog
[img]https://www.civicforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104064&d=1501475227[/img

I should've pulled the entire rear sway bar assembly off my old car before I donated it.. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
Oh wow, those links look super sturdy, But since I can't get them, do you think that the Moog links would be good enough?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-14-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2018
Administrator
Administrator

I edited my post a few times, so I'm not sure if you saw my edits. But yeah man, those endlinks were beefy as f***. They did end up squeaking a bit after a while, since the heim joint was exposed to the elements, but nothing a quick lube with some lithium grease (or silicone grease, since that stuff doesn't get washed away, but it is quite thicker) couldn't fix.

edit 2: all else fails, you can grab a pair of RSX endlinks

edit 3: yeah, I'm editing again.. lol. Upon further research, endlink upgrade isn't quite necessary for 19mm, only really required if you upgrade past that (e.g. progress 22mm, RSX-s 22mm, etc). I'd personally just do it for peace of mind that I know I wouldn't have to touch them again because a part failed
Old 01-14-2018
Administrator
Administrator

lol, I'm pretty sure if you really wanted to, you can fab up your own beefy endlinks by buying parts and bolts. You just have to make sure you get the right size (bolts, links, etc) for the bar. I'm almost certain that's what Grey did, he just had all the necessary measurements

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rod-ends/=1b4otja
Old 01-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

dude, i just watched the video.

did your brain simply skip all the parts that does not say why it could be a problem?

the FWD car portion is exactly what we have been telling you all along.

the disadvantages are pifious for civics that are already too soft from the get-go.

PS: the moog also have greasing zerk fittings.
Old 01-15-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Acura-...BaD1DT&vxp=mtr
$77.00 shipped looks like a good deal
Thank you for finding that. I ordered it along with a set of larger polyurethane bushings. It should be here on the 22nd. I hope I didn't waste my money.
Old 01-15-2018
Registered!!

What are the green squares by my name?

If you look to the side of my name, there are 4 green squares. What do those squares mean? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the green squares by my name?

If you look to the side of my name, there are 4 green squares. What do those squares mean? Thanks.
You made a post about your red squares some time ago, remember? What did those mean?

Also..Hover your cursor over the squares and read what it says (IDK if that does anything on a phone)
Old 01-15-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You made a post about your red squares some time ago, remember? What did those mean?

Also..Hover your cursor over the squares and read what it says (IDK if that does anything on a phone)
I guess what I meant is how do the squares change with reputation? Why do some people have 2 green squares with 80 rep and some people, like me, have 4 green squares with 5 rep? Also, why are some squares light green and some dark green?
Old 01-15-2018
Administrator
Administrator

nevermind. Got my facts messed up apparently
Old 01-15-2018
Registered!!

nevermind. Got my facts messed up apparently
Never mind what?
Old 01-15-2018
Administrator
Administrator

I guess what I meant is how do the squares change with reputation?
More people positively rep you, more green squares you get, I think. I'm not sure. Likely has to do moreso with the rep power of he (or she) who has repped you.

Why do some people have 2 green squares with 80 rep and some people, like me, have 4 green squares with 5 rep?
Yes. You likely got repped by someone with a high amount of rep power, or mod/supermod/admin types. I know if I rep someone that has literally no bars, one rep from me will bump them up to like 5 or 6 green bars. That said, positive rep from me takes a bit more effort. lol

ninja edit: actually, it's probably reversed from my first two answers, but I don't know 100%. More green bars probably means more powerful people repped you. More rep power probably correlates to how many people repped you.

Also, why are some squares light green and some dark green?
Also yes. It's just to separate the first 5 green bars from the rest. I'm not terribly sure why though. No one except site owners know how that stuff is coded. I don't even have access to changing rep rates and what have you.

In any case, enjoy your positive rep. I know you were at neg rep for a while.

edit:
Just took a look at a few selected people's rep levels in my fancy schmancy AdminCP. To give you a frame of reference without using actual numbers, my reputation levels is almost 8x yours. If you feel like knowing your exact reputation level at the moment, I can PM it to you, or I can up and post it here if you don't care.
Jeebus, ezone's rep level is almost 4x mine, yet his rep power is hardly higher than mine. Just goes to show that it's pretty much an arbitrary scale. At the end of the day, the more green bars you got, the better it looks.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 01-15-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2018
Administrator
Administrator

just did some quick math. Rep level and rep power is arbitrary as crap from what I can tell. Dividing rep level by rep power to get a ratio, I'm at about 8, you're at like 70. lol
Old 01-15-2018
Administrator
Administrator

I guess I ninja edited. Had some bad info that I posted then edited after I realized the error of my ways. Posts only shows "Last edited by [user]..." if someone read the post before the edit. Not gonna lie, I abuse the crap out of my post edit button.
Old 01-15-2018
Registered!!

Strut bars?

I am looking at strut bars for my Civic to reinforce the chassis. However, I don't want to waste my money on something that is just extra weight. So my questions are:

1. Do strut bars have to be expensive to be effective? I can get strut bars for as little as about $20, but I can also get high end strut bars that cost as much as $150 or more. I would think that a cheap bar wouldn't be effective and would be a waste of money, but I'm not sure how strong a strut bar would have to be to be effective.

2. Would installing strut bars noticeably improve handling?

3. Would I notice a bigger improvement installing a strut bar on the front or the back?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

From the FAQ:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/f...vb3_reputation

I think the number of squares visible just maxes out when the line is full

If you go into your UserCP and check who gave you that rep and click the post link next to it, you may find I was the one who repped you because IIRC you came to my defense in a thread that may have been a raging dumpster fire.
Post a link to that thread so I can read it again LOL
Old 01-15-2018

Posts only shows "Last edited by [user]..." if someone read the post before the edit.
I thought it was a time based limit. Seems like it anyway. I'm pretty sure people can read and quote a post before you edit it and you still won't see the 'reason for edit' line if you are quick.

Other IB forums have the cutoff time quite a bit shorter than this one IMO
Old 01-15-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Strut bars?

1) Not necessarily, but the best performing strut bars are one-piece ones, unlike the 3-piece ones you find on ebay. I'm sure they'll perform well, but not as good. If you can find a neuspeed one for the 7thgen, those were great. Too bad you didn't look into it earlier, because I sold the one I had for $100. About the normal price you [used to be able to] find 'em for used. New, you'll find them for like $140. DC sports also makes a solid one-piece bar, and, although easier to find, in the upper range as a new neuspeed bar at like $130-140 on ebay

2) Yes. Truth be told, I didn't really notice the difference when I first installed it. Thought I had wasted my money, but kept it anyways. Changed suspension from spring/struts to full coilovers and decided not to install it because it was a pain in the *** to install. Took the car for a test drive and noticed a lot more play in the steering wheel when turning, and that was at low speeds. Steering didn't feel nearly as responsive as it did with the bar installed. I didn't even make it down the block before I turned around to install it.

3) Front, for sure. Ties the front upper struts together and that's where it'll flex more since that's where more stress gets put during turns.
Old 01-15-2018
Administrator
Administrator

I dunno, that's what I've noticed before. I have noticed that if someone is actively reading your original post pre-edit and don't click off of it (or something like that), it won't say edited by.

I know on civicx and reddit, it'll show that you edited it immediately after, regardless of who read it.
Old 01-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Re: Strut bars?

strut bars were covered in the same link i posted before for you.

have you not read it?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...questions.html

also, as said before, it improves steering feel. not performance. Did you not read my response then?

rear bars - read the link posted. It's covered there. I wrote them threads so that people would read it instead of asking... that way we would not be parroting the same thing over and over.
Old 01-16-2018
Registered!!

From the FAQ:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/f...vb3_reputation

I think the number of squares visible just maxes out when the line is full

If you go into your UserCP and check who gave you that rep and click the post link next to it, you may find I was the one who repped you because IIRC you came to my defense in a thread that may have been a raging dumpster fire.
Post a link to that thread so I can read it again LOL
I see. Thanks for explaining. Are you talking about this thread? (removed)

Last edited by ezone; 01-16-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 01-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

I see. Thanks for explaining. Are you talking about this thread? https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4736279

edit: my bad, i read wrongly

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-16-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-16-2018

I see. Thanks for explaining. Are you talking about this thread?
Oh yeah that was the thread I repped you in for your post #31
Also **** is still reading here even though his last post was in that thread.....so I just removed the thread links

Last edited by ezone; 01-16-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2018
Registered!!

Oh yeah that was the thread I repped you in for your post #31
Also **** is still reading here even though his last post was in that thread.....so I just removed the thread links
Thanks for the rep

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave