Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Alignment suggestions or input?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maverickfhs is an unknown quantity at this point
Alignment suggestions or input?

We are planning to do front suspension work on a 2003 Honda Civic LX.

Will replace outer tie rods, lower ball joints, stabilizer bar ends and LCA's for both sides on the front.

Afterwards, planning to do the alignment. Was wondering if it can be done at home or any other cheaper suggestions? Is doing at home worth it?

Have looked at these threads too:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...alignment.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...alignment.html

Can this video be used?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjZUu_d08t8

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by maverickfhs; 02-06-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Alignment suggestions or input?

you can, no problems, as long as you are meticulous on the job
did not watch the video, though
Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

I see, thanks.

Since rear wheel is not adjustable, so that should be used as a reference point? Correct?
Old 02-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rear toe is adjustable. Rear toe spec is slightly toed in.

I'd just pay someone to align it right (if I could trust anyone other than myself LOL).
Install your parts, set it by eyeball good enough to get to the alignment shop without tearing up the tires.

If you can scribe and have a toe bar, you can get pretty dang close on the front toe.
Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Rear toe is adjustable. Rear toe spec is slightly toed in.

I'd just pay someone to align it right (if I could trust anyone other than myself LOL).
Install your parts, set it by eyeball good enough to get to the alignment shop without tearing up the tires.

If you can scribe and have a toe bar, you can get pretty dang close on the front toe.
Thanks EZ, are you suggesting to install the parts and eyeball to make sure it's good enough and let have a shop handle it?

Stealership is charging $90 for it!
Old 02-06-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Thanks EZ, are you suggesting to install the parts and eyeball to make sure it's good enough and let have a shop handle it?

Stealership is charging $90 for it!
Eyeball and tape measure to get close enough to drive a few miles, if you can't scribe and nail down exact zero toe on the front.

90? Pfft.
Ours is a FIVE wheel alignment for 99.95. You wanted the steering wheel straight, yes?

Half of our shop doesn't know anything about aligning a car...but they can work the machine and get a decent outcome, that's the way the machines are designed.
Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

Eyeball and tape measure to get close enough to drive a few miles, if you can't scribe and nail down exact zero toe on the front.
Car was aligned almost 1.5 year ago when new tires were put on and so far alignment is good! No pulling or uneven wear on tires.

90? Pfft.
Ours is a FIVE wheel alignment for 99.95. You wanted the steering wheel straight, yes?
It's with a $20 discount, usually it's 110. I think it'll be 5 Wheels too

Half of our shop doesn't know anything about aligning a car...but they can work the machine and get a decent outcome, that's the way the machines are designed.
Not offense, but I can't agree with you anymore. There are some really 'rookies' at pep boy's running an alignment machine, seriously I have seen them doing and struggling with an expensive maching
Old 02-06-2017

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Not offense, but I can't agree with you anymore.
Couldn't agree anymore?
Couldn't agree any more?
Couldn't agree more?
What? What?

Todays alignment machines are designed so any mouth breathing knuckle dragger can follow the bouncing ball and end up with an acceptable outcome, a car that probably goes fairly straight down the road.

But "everything is in the green" is the extent of the expertise. No working knowledge, no theory, no clue what to do when "everything is in the green" yet the car still pulls or eats tires.

====================

I cut my teeth using some pretty primitive alignment equipment, but if you know what you are doing that old equipment can work very well.
There was no bouncing ball to follow, you had to have a decent amount of knowledge about the tasks you were doing.

Todays equipment is much quicker to use though. I wouldn't want to go back to a bubble level and strings or scribe and pointers.
Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

Couldn't agree anymore?
Couldn't agree any more?
Couldn't agree more?
What? What?
Means, no offense to anyone and I agree with you

Guess, will put these parts on, use a string method to align the wheels and then take it from there!

Thanks for your help.