Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Please help me choose the correct suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic7G is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help me choose the correct suspension...

I have a 2002 civic sedan. The suspension is shot on it because the roads in our area are really bad and full of bumps and I do about 50-80 miles hour. I basically treat the car like a truck and the stock suspension obviously can't take it. I'm not going to change my driving habits so I'm looking for your expertise on turning this Civic into an off-road rally car so it can take this type of abuse. I'm hoping it's possible for around $1000?

TIA

Last edited by Civic7G; 09-27-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-27-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Please help me choose the correct suspension...

You want to make it a rally car how?

I would talk to the folks over at Ground Control. They can make custom rate springs in any length to fit your needs. Just tell them what you want to do and they will guide you. Some aftermarket performance shocks would help dampen it better.
Old 09-28-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
You want to make it a rally car how?.

By putting in a suspension similar to a rally car.
Old 09-28-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

If you only want to spend $1000 you're better off buying a $1000 truck.

If you have more money than brains then you could do something like this

Old 09-28-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
If you only want to spend $1000 you're better off buying a $1000 truck.

I drive 80 miles a day so this little civic saves me about 300 bucks a month on gas as opposed to driving the truck every day. Not to mention the deprecating value of putting 2500 miles a month on a decent truck whereas this civic can't deprecate any further.
Old 09-28-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Are your bushings in good shape? Are your front struts in good shape? Are your sway bar links in good shape? See a pattern?

A 2002 civic is likely to have rotted out/torn compliance bushings by now. The front struts should have have died at least once by now. Sway bar links commonly break. Any of these issues will cause the car to behave badly on bumpy roads. I have been back road bombing these cars on the roads near my dealership since they were new. When the suspension is in good working order they can handle crummy roads very nicely.
Old 09-28-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Are your bushings in good shape? Are your front struts in good shape? Are your sway bar links in good shape?

I replaced the ball joints and links and front strut assemblies 1yr ago with OEM... the links and ball joints are good but the struts are done... all the ball bearings have fallen out from the top castor. At the least I need to find some heavy duty aftermarket strut assemblies but I don't have a clue what ones are going to do the trick.