Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Ball joint castle nut past cotter hole

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
threeoten is an unknown quantity at this point
Ball joint castle nut past cotter hole

I loaded the suspension with the vehicles weight by jacking up under the LCA, then torqued the castle nut to its lowest spec (43ftlb) and the cotter pin hole is not lining up with the castle nut, nut went past the hole. The original castle nut is taller than the new one and would line it up just perfect. Should I use a washer + the new nut or can I just reuse the old one (it looks just fine)? Also is the boot over compressed?

Last edited by threeoten; 05-29-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ball joint castle nut past cotter hole

the suspension does not need to be loaded when tightening that bolt,

you torque it to the minimum torque value, if the hole does not line up then you TIGHTEN the nut more until the next hole lines up, you never loosen it to make to hole line up,

then you insert the cotter pin

and no, you should not use a washer
Old 05-29-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
the suspension does not need to be loaded when tightening that bolt
Honda manual says it does need to be loaded in 'Lower Arm Removal' section. So I did.

I used the old castle nut for now, I'll pick up a couple new OEM nuts from the dealership. Just wondering if the boot looks too crushed?
Old 05-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The boot will squish and wrinkle, thats fine.
Old 05-29-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Appears the taper was a few thousands small but you say new nut is shorter. Obvious not OEM part that I would hope is only problem. I would look very close for any cracks in arm... I would use the old nut that is long enough if it looked in good condition. If it's OEM and not rusted, it probably better quality then the replacement. You are not going to find a proper grade 8 washer unless you go to a McMaster and spec a Mil. Spec. washer but they do not sell a few.. You could always drill another carter hole.
Old 05-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mikey1
torque value, if the hole does not line up then you TIGHTEN the nut more until the next hole lines up, you never loosen it to make to hole line up
i think he's saying the nut is higher than the hole so when the pin is in it doesn't sit in between the castles.

mine was the same way. I put the pin in so that the loop stood up into the gap and then bent the other side so one part wrapped around under the nut and the other just sticks straight up in the air. If the nut does start coming loose it's not going to make it very far.
Old 05-29-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The interference fit between the two tapered parts (ball joint stud and the hole it fits through) is what locks them together after proper tightening of the nut. Once this is achieved, you could remove the nut and throw it away and probably never have it come apart unless you smack some incredible pothole or curb.
Kids, don't try that at home.

IF I were forced to use the new (too short) castle nut supplied with the ball joint, I'd tighten the nut then shove a cotter pin through the hole like drhawkinz described, just so in the off chance the nut were to ever back off on its own, it can't fall off.

IF the old castle nut fits a lot better, use that sucker instead. I would just use it, I wouldn't bother trying to purchase new unless there's some sort of damage that makes it unusable.

The only time I remember ever seeing one of those nuts backed off was when someone at a bodyshop didn't tighten the dang thing in the first place. The cotter pin was the only thing that prevented a huge disaster in that case.
Old 05-30-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

mikey had his inney and outtys confused.. I know I would be very concerned in that terrible looking crack in threeoten's first picture in post one. I would probably be replacing more then the balljoint.
Old 05-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I know I would be very concerned in that terrible looking crack in threeoten's first picture in post one. I would probably be replacing more then the balljoint.

was going to say the same thing
Old 05-30-2016

I figured that was the sheetmetal of the LCA mashed up from beating on it to get the joint to pop free.
Old 05-30-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I know I would be very concerned in that terrible looking crack in threeoten's first picture in post one.
It looks cracked in the photo, but it's just the way it was welded actually. It's totally solid.

But yeah, I just threw the old nuts on there and they line up fine.
Old 06-08-2016
Registered!!

XXWoodmanXX is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, the 'eyelet' and legs of the cotter pin will hold it just fine, where the castle nut sits now. As a precautionary, just be sure and bend the legs up, not down.