Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Honda Civic GX suspension questions...

Old 03-20-2016
WEG
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEG is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic GX suspension questions...

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2001 Honda Civic GX (Natural Gas model) that has 84K.
I need to replace the rear shocks since I'm going to add an additional small CNG tank in the trunk to increase the range.

While I'm at it, I was thinking of having the rear knuckle front bushings replaced since I'm experiencing the annoying squeak (aka Service Bulletin 02-070).

I am having a trusted mechanic do the work, so do you have recommendations for for front and rear strut assemblies? I see these Sensen struts on Amazon, are they any good??? Should I just buy the assemblies rather than have him mess with the springs?

I'm adding about 150lbs additional weight in the trunk, so any thoughts on the best shock/spring or strut to buy for the rear?

I appreciate any advice - As you can tell, I'm clueless when it comes to suspension mods of any kind. I'm not looking to lower or trick out the car, just good handling and ride for my commute.

Thanks in advance!
WEG
Old 03-21-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Honda Civic GX suspension questions...

Shocks do NOT support the weight of the car.
Springs do support the weight of the car.

If you are concerned about adding weight to the rear of the car you will need stronger springs. Here are some questions about your cars usage

Do you frequently have passengers?
Is the extended range tank DOT approved?
How does ride now?

What I would suggest is go to a home improvement store and purchase two 80 pound bags of mortar/cement/concrete (whichever is cheapest). Place them in the trunk 1 per side and not on the spare tire board. See how much the car squats under the weight. Drive it around and see how it responds to the added weight.

Your car was designed to hold 5 passengers with an average weight of 150 or so pounds. If you never have extra passengers you are not going to be near you vehicle weight limit. If it handles the extra weight just fine it sounds like you are done and ready for the extended range tank.

If the tank is not a specially designed CNG tank for automotive applications it has NO business being in the trunk of your car. I have only seen 1 of those extended range tanks added to a GX and it was absolutely scary to see. It was a 1.5' diameter cast tank with a large brass shut off valve similar to what you would see on industrial welding tanks. The valve was 8 inches from the inside of the 1/4 panel on the drivers side. If that car ever takes a hit in that corner there WILL be fatalities.

The GX is potentially a very dangerous vehicle due to the extreme amount of energy stored in the compressed NG tank. The honda spec tank is mounted in the safest part of the car from a crash standpoint. It is mounted with crash tested brackets and hardware that are designed for this car by honda engineers. And the tanks are built by military defense contractors, my memory says it was honeywell but I could be wrong.

I would be very very hesitant about adding an extra tank to one of these cars. I am not even slightly afraid of them in normal as designed by honda conditions, but I am aware that I am not even close to being smart enough to design a system as well or as safe as they did with these cars.

Here is a link about what happens when a GX burns. This link is for firefighter training about how to recognize these cars.

http://www.mvfri.org/Presentations/H...NGAutoFire.pdf
Old 03-21-2016
WEG
Registered!!

Thanks for your reply and concern. It will be installed by a CNG certified company/ installer with over 40 years of experience, so we're good to go there. Yes it it DOT approved, and will be installed to NGV code standards.

To my original question, do you know of any aftermarket springs that would be considered more heavy duty than than the OEM?

As far as front struts/rear shocks go, am I better off buying the complete assemblies?

I see these Sensen struts on Amazon, are they any good?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Old 03-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard of any aftermarket support for raising the car (taller springs).....

Check into getting some custom wound coil springs?
Old 03-22-2016
WEG
Registered!!

Thanks - good advice. Someone mentioned to try Integra rear springs...
Old 03-22-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

They didn't make an intergra that is similar to a 2001 civic. The intergra was very similar in suspension to the 1996-2000 civic. The 2001 civic is more similar to the honda element and 2002 to 2006 crv. So that might be a good source for taller/stronger springs.
Old 03-22-2016
WEG
Registered!!

Thanks for that info! Very helpful!
One question, can I have my mechanic use my original springs in my front struts when I replace the struts? or should I just get the whole assembly to be safe?
Thanks!
Old 03-22-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen broken springs in Hondas.....in many years. Not since maybe the early/mid 90s Accords that broke them regularly.

I'd think you will be OK reusing the stock springs on front of the Civic.
Old 03-22-2016
WEG
Registered!!

That's kinda what I hoping...
Do I need to get the new top pieces or bearings, etc?
It looks like the strut is kind of bare.
Thanks!
Old 03-22-2016

I don't normally replace anything but the strut, and if it doesn't drive the job price real high maybe boots and bump stops if they are obviously damaged.
IOW if the tops aren't bad, noisy, or damaged, I'd reuse them.

You can check prices and decide accordingly.
Old 03-22-2016
WEG
Registered!!

Thanks, Ezone for the prompt replies! Much appreciated.
I'll be sure to inspect carefully.