Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

bumpy ride spring recommendations or go back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hunnyjb is an unknown quantity at this point
bumpy ride spring recommendations or go back to stock?

when i first purchased my 02 civic in back in 05 i lowered it right away with neuspeed sport springs. It wasn't until several years later, i would say about 2010 i started to notice that my ride had gotten a lot bumpier. I could feel every little bump on the road. I came to these forums and after reading and asking around i decided to replace my stock shocks with tokico blues hopefully to get a much smoother ride, but unfortunately there was very little improvement.

I tried to just tough it out until my next vehicle purchase but my car still runs really good so that may not be awhile, but i've really got to do something about the bumpy ride. I have a few things i'm thinking about doing, and id appreciate the input from these forums again.

a.) go back to OEM springs:
I'm not sure if i'm able to use stock springs on tokico blues though?
if i go this route, should i be wary of this deal below?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131065438490...84.m1423.l2649

b.) try a different pair of lowering springs:
if i cant get stock springs back on because i now have tokico blues, id appreciate some suggestions of another pair of aftermarket springs i can try. lowering height is not a concern, my only priority is to get a much less bumpy ride.

c.) go back to stock springs/shocks:
this is what my local mechanic recommended that i should do, but if i can go OEM on tokico blues then wouldn't that equal a more comfy ride than with stock shocks? He told me he wasn't sure if he could get OEM springs back on an aftermarket shock though. If i go this route, is the link below a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371014191016...84.m1423.l2649

d.) Coilovers:
i really only want to do this if it will actually be a smoother ride than oem springs/shocks combo, and if it is possible, what would be the top 3 options (if money is not a worry)

help!
Old 02-28-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: bumpy ride spring recommendations or go back to stock?

A.) Yes, the Blues are considered to be close to OEM spec and will work with stock springs. Make sure you get the precise year though. That link is for 8th gen, you should look for something in your year.
B.) You might want to look for something that'll raise it a bit. The lower your car gets, the bumpier the ride. Generally speaking, that is.
C.) I don't see brand or anything on that link. I wouldn't trust it as OEM.
D.) Nope, coilovers generally sacrifice comfort for performance and adjustability.

There are a lot of threads on here covering every question you asked. Just use the search button!
Old 03-01-2014
Registered!!

i cant seem to find OEM on ebay...but i did find a brand called moog?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-81476-F...30c565&vxp=mtr

any advice?

also, if i go with option A, will the tokico shocks make the ride smoother than OEM shocks? sorry as you can tell i have no idea how this works

Last edited by hunnyjb; 03-01-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Moog is a good company. Tokico shocks are going to be a little firmer then stock since they are more performance oriented. KYB will be more stock like.
Old 03-01-2014
Registered!!

im sorry when you say they will be more firmer do you mean the ride will be less bumpy or more than stock?
Old 03-01-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hunnyjb
im sorry when you say they will be more firmer do you mean the ride will be less bumpy or more than stock?
GolNat means bumpier. The firmer and more "performance oriented" a shock is, the rougher the ride.
Old 03-01-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

bumpier as in "thud" or bumpier as in "boingo, boingo"?

the firmer a shock is, the less it allows the spring to move. good for stiffer springs, such as eibach. so it will "thud" more on bumps, but won't go "boingo, boingo" around with the softer OE shocks (which are paired to softer springs, so should not be an issue, except it will roll a lot more in corners).

sorry, this was the least complicated way to explain i found.
Old 03-01-2014
Registered!!

bravo79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay away from KYBs they are stiff as sh***T i had them and I was complaining about how bad the ride was just like you. Tokico with OEM spring going to be stiff too the best combo for comfort for me was tien h tech with Tokico Blues but still stiff in my opinion specially in the cold (winter) the best option for comfortable ride would be Honda OEM springs and shocks.
Old 03-01-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

KYB are suppose to be OE equivalent. Showa is OEM.
Old 03-03-2014
Registered!!

hey guys i appreciate all the input. to be more specific, yes im looking to make my ride not go THUD! everytime i hit a bump or go over a speed bump or i drive over a groove in the road it feels like my car is going to crack in half.

when i was lookin at the spring list on this site i noticed that the eibach prokit is only a 1 inch drop. Since going OEM springs will still not be a great match since i have tokico blues on, how do you think the eibach pro kit would work out?
Old 03-03-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Mine still does thud more than stock... I have them.
Old 03-03-2014
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

Pro-kit will be better matched to the Tokicos than the stock springs
Old 03-03-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

There's that too, thanks, rusty.