Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Should i replace whole suspension or just struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
azi90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Should i replace whole suspension or just struts

My 2004 civic is very rough over the bumps i can feel everything shaking inside when hit the broke roads and ofcourse i feel every bump on my *** too.. me and my mechanic we checked it everything is fine with bounce test. now my mechanic said it could be that it has some 'china' cheap suspensions which doesnt absorb bumps properli and needs to replace. He said i can jus get the struts replaces with parts and labor for 650 or i can get whole suspension i guess ? replaced for 800 dollars.. Now im not sure which option should i pick as there is big price difference
Old 02-18-2013
Registered!!

Re: Should i replace whole suspension or just struts

and oh tires are fine too
Old 02-18-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Well before anyone can answer your question, what are you lowered on if you are lowered at all? Or are you on stock? Are they springs for sleeves? Are they red and say racelands or rokkors?
Old 02-18-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Well before anyone can answer your question, what are you lowered on if you are lowered at all? Or are you on stock? Are they springs for sleeves? Are they red and say racelands or rokkors?
They are not lowered .. they are at original height and they look like black in color so im sure they are regular ones
Old 02-19-2013

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Alright so it sounds like you are on stock suspension. There is no need to replace the springs so all you will need to do it replace your struts. The best aftermarket replacement that would keep stock ride quality (smooth) are tokico blues. They are around 400 a set. I would get them and have your mech install them for you.

Other options are kyb shocks, but they're not as good as tokicos. Just as long as you don't get cheap crappy shocks (like the ones from autozone or monroe) then your fine.

Gabriel shocks aren't that bad but they cost similar to the blues and at that point, I'd just get the blues.
Old 02-19-2013
Registered!!

Alright so it sounds like you are on stock suspension. There is no need to replace the springs so all you will need to do it replace your struts. The best aftermarket replacement that would keep stock ride quality (smooth) are tokico blues. They are around 400 a set. I would get them and have your mech install them for you.

Other options are kyb shocks, but they're not as good as tokicos. Just as long as you don't get cheap crappy shocks (like the ones from autozone or monroe) then your fine.

Gabriel shocks aren't that bad but they cost similar to the blues and at that point, I'd just get the blues.
So theres no point for me to change the suspensions ? just struts.. also i heard he monroe is good one :S my mechanice kept sayin that brand name
Old 02-19-2013

Monroe are complete garbage. I installed them on a friends sentra and two blew out within a year. Not to mention the ride quality was bouncy.

Reason why your mech prob recommended them is because they ate cost efficient and he can keep the parts cost low
Old 02-19-2013

And no. No need to change suspension. Keep the springs. Unless the springs are rusted to the metal, then there is no need to get new springs
Old 02-19-2013
Registered!!

And no. No need to change suspension. Keep the springs. Unless the springs are rusted to the metal, then there is no need to get new springs
The price quote he gave me to replace struts in 650 dollars with labor ... thats monroe .. is it good price?
Old 02-19-2013

the monroes are about $56 a strut. thats a little over $200 in parts. which means he's charging you around $400ish for labor. the current labor rate for mechanics is around $75 an hr.

the labor is a little on the expensive side as removing/install suspension only takes about 2-3hrs on a lift (i can disassemble and reassemble my suspension in about an hr and a half).
Old 02-19-2013

ask him if the alignment is included (you WILL need an alignment after you install new shocks).

ask him what kind of warranty is included? if one of your monroe blows out in 6 months, will he replace it free of charge?

take these into consideration. suspension isnt cheap, and many times, the labor is what makes it expensive.
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

the monroes are about $56 a strut. thats a little over $200 in parts. which means he's charging you around $400ish for labor. the current labor rate for mechanics is around $75 an hr.

the labor is a little on the expensive side as removing/install suspension only takes about 2-3hrs on a lift (i can disassemble and reassemble my suspension in about an hr and a half).
he told me 90 bucks for each struts..
Old 02-20-2013

Originally Posted by azi90
he told me 90 bucks for each struts..
well, he's charging you "$90" a strut when its only $65 with free shipping. your call.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

and they're even cheaper ($55ish) when they're on sale from amazon.
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

so this other mechanic told me about monroe sensa tracs.... how are they ? what do u guys think about them.. i just wanna keep my ride for max 4 years as its 04 model so i dont wanna spend on somthing so much like it shuld be something reasonable.. but again i dont want my car to turn out to be same jumping box within a year or two
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

guys i need help with this .. because i dont wanna end up spending grands with no new results
Old 02-23-2013
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

What sl33py forgot to notice is that while you can ge the struts a lot cheaper from amazon, he is most likely just getting them from autozone for $90
Old 02-23-2013

Front $58
Amazon Amazon

Rear $66
Amazon Amazon

If you're only planning to keep it 4 years then just get the Monroe. They are not bad for the price.
Old 02-23-2013

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
What sl33py forgot to notice is that while you can ge the struts a lot cheaper from amazon, he is most likely just getting them from autozone for $90
That is true. However that's almost a $200 savings. You must be a real idiot or have too much cash to burn if you don't want the amazon one n save 200$.

It's a prime item n it's free shipping.
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

That is true. However that's almost a $200 savings. You must be a real idiot or have too much cash to burn if you don't want the amazon one n save 200$.

It's a prime item n it's free shipping.
I shuldve told you guys in the begining .. im in canada .. so no free shipping for me .. plus i been seeing so many different sensa tracs for different prices.. im confused

Last edited by azi90; 02-23-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

Can weather be a factor of car being rough and bumpy ? its freezing here some of my friends said its going to be smoother in summer
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

don't pay someone for something that can easily be done yourself. garages charge so much in labor is because they know most people are to scared to get there hands dirty.
Old 02-24-2013

I shuldve told you guys in the begining .. im in canada .. so no free shipping for me .. plus i been seeing so many different sensa tracs for different prices.. im confused
that totally changes everything. $650 isnt a bad price at that point. we have a few mods here that are from canada (blueEM2) and its much more expensive in your part of the world.
Old 02-24-2013

Originally Posted by lowlife9
don't pay someone for something that can easily be done yourself. garages charge so much in labor is because they know most people are to scared to get there hands dirty.
changing out your suspension isnt exactly a novice job. its requires a little more experience about cars. when i first did the suspension on my civic, it took me 7ish hours (given that mine is a little more work cuz i have koni yellow). sometimes, its easier left to a professional.

and remmeber, not everyone has the luxury of working it on their driveway, have ALL the proper tools, and the knowledge/time to work on their cars.
Old 02-24-2013
Registered!!

that totally changes everything. $650 isnt a bad price at that point. we have a few mods here that are from canada (blueEM2) and its much more expensive in your part of the world.
yah its actually 800 bucks .. if i go for sensa tracs.. 650 was for some less quality munroes
Old 02-24-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

not sure of sensa tracks, i keep away from monroe.
some guys also vouches for the KYB GR2's -similar price range (albeitnow that more are using them, i hear they loose some damping after a while, but compared to standard monroes that start out of the box without damping, i guess it's better.

i lived in canada too, prices suck compared to US, taxes eats away paycheck, but goverment services are much better. unfortunately as temporary, i paid but will not collect...
Old 02-26-2013
Registered!!

so i went to my other friend and hes a mechanic too .. upon inspection of the car he said civics are generally rougher than other cars and since i have 15inch metal alloy rim not stock "plate" rims it can also cause a bit rougher ride.. what do u guys think abt his review ? does he sound reasanable
Old 02-26-2013
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Advise you to just complete the suspension replacement. The stock system is not that great, and does not last longer than 100k if that at optimal ride height.
Old 02-26-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tragedy
Advise you to just complete the suspension replacement. The stock system is not that great, and does not last longer than 100k if that at optimal ride height.
Complete suspensions or just struts
Old 02-28-2013
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

I bought sensen struts for 66.50 for the rear pair.
Supposed to be oem for audi VW and some other car.
I'm installing tmrw. I'll update in a while to see how good they are. (or Bad)
Old 02-28-2013

so i went to my other friend and hes a mechanic too .. upon inspection of the car he said civics are generally rougher than other cars and since i have 15inch metal alloy rim not stock "plate" rims it can also cause a bit rougher ride.. what do u guys think abt his review ? does he sound reasanable

He's a complete idiot and there are so many things wrong with his statements.

Quick Reply: Should i replace whole suspension or just struts