Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Skunk 2 lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
esegangster is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Skunk 2 lowering springs

So im wondering/debateing wat shocks to team up with the Skunk 2 springs that i just bought, got em for $100 brand new . And i dont wanna stick 2 OEM shocks cuz i hear they cant handle the ride on skunk2 springs, besides i think my front passenger shock is blown already, so ima just go aftermarket all around. Im thinking Koni yellows or Tokico blues?
I daily drive 2 work a 2004 civic vp sedan (automatic ), only major upgrade i have done is
Innovative Mounts 60A reds,. I know with the money im going 2 spend on this modification (the lowering springs n shocks) i can just get coilovers, but i dont really need them, i mean i wont be lowering or raising my cars hight at all after i drop it, so coilovers are not an option 4 me, besides i already have the skunk2 lowering springs. so has anyone else on here done this mod to their em2/es1/es2? let me know how did the skunk2 springs worked?
will i need 2 fender roll on stock wheels? what about camber kit?
i want answers!!!
Old 02-08-2013
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
Re: Skunk 2 lowering springs

There is a TON of info on this . In SHORT (very short)
Camber kit YES (only in the rear)

Koni are good for coil sleeves and lowering springs
The blues have a good rep too

Lowering springs will give you a better ride than coils which will be VERY stiff comparatively .

Depending on the lowering spring you may or may not need to foll the fender lips....
Old 02-08-2013
Registered!!

[quote=TFMEX;4632108]There is a TON of info on this . In SHORT (very short)
Camber kit YES (only in the rear)

Koni are good for coil sleeves and lowering springs
The blues have a good rep too

Lowering springs will give you a better ride than coils which will be VERY stiff comparatively .

Depending on the lowering spring you may or may not need to foll the fender lips....[/quote

And that is why in sticking with springs, cuz i rather have a kindda bouncyer ride than stiffness, lol. thanx 4 the advise, tokicos are like $200 cheaper, but im gonna go with Konis.
WHAT OTHER MODS SHOULD I DO? THAT WILL GIVE ME BETTER HANDLEING?
Old 02-08-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TFMEX

Depending on the lowering spring you may or may not need to foll the fender lips....
it has more to do with the rim and tire sizes than the lowering spring. the spring accounts for the suspension moving up and down. if the wheels and rims dont clear the fender, then they dont.

Originally Posted by esegangster

And that is why in sticking with springs, cuz i rather have a kindda bouncyer ride than stiffness, lol. thanx 4 the advise, tokicos are like $200 cheaper, but im gonna go with Konis.
WHAT OTHER MODS SHOULD I DO? THAT WILL GIVE ME BETTER HANDLEING?
springs vs coils has nothing to do with it. you can have an ultra still spring and have an ultra "soft" coil (like tein basics)

it has to due with the spring rate. the spring rate determines how "stiff" the springs are. and skunk2 springs are VERY compared to whats out there.

but spring rate is only apart of the equation. the strut's valving and dampening is the other part of the equation
Old 02-08-2013

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

just a fair warning with konis. they are pretty much the best aftermarket struts made for our civics. however, they are not a typical replace/install. you have to cut your stock housing and put the inserts in.
Old 02-09-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
just a fair warning with konis. they are pretty much the best aftermarket struts made for our civics. however, they are not a typical replace/install. you have to cut your stock housing and put the inserts in.
THERES A SHOP BY MY HOUSE THAT CHARGES $15 THE SWAP, PER STRUT.
BESIDES I HEAR ITS DENGEROUS WHEN UR TAKING THE SHOCK OUT, SO IMA JUST LEAVE IT 2 THE PROs.
Old 02-09-2013
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

BESIDES I HEAR ITS DENGEROUS WHEN UR TAKING THE SHOCK OUT, SO IMA JUST LEAVE IT 2 THE PROs.
It is so easy to do it yourself. Auto stores will rent u a spring compressor for 50$ then when you return it you get your 50$ back. Pep boys does that I know for a fact. If you got the cash and don't wanna do it I guess that's not a terrible price. But u could save Money doing yourself.
Old 02-09-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

lose the caps. it means you screaming. pretty annoying.

if you want stiffer springs, but not lower, then coilovers are actually better choice. or get used RSX setup (they weight more, so slightly stiffer from factory).
Old 02-09-2013

its only dangerous if you dont have the right tools and dont know what you're doing.

most places charge 300-400 for labor and if your place only charges 15 a strut, then its a steal. hell, id pay that price and i can take my suspension apart like 4 tiimes.
Old 02-10-2013
Registered!!

Guess im just gonna take the struts down to the shop to swap the konis in.
Definitly giving the skunk2 springs a try.
Old 02-11-2013
CO&CA

Guess im just gonna take the struts down to the shop to swap the konis in.
Definitly giving the skunk2 springs a try.

I would too you already have em... I have Skunk 2 coil (Pro-s 2) and they are great.... no issues, easy to adjust, solid, stiff (the way i like it). I have had nothing but a good experience with Skunk 2 products (only the coils really) so I am not ready to call them Junk2's yet!

Report back on how they are.
Old 02-11-2013

Originally Posted by TFMEX
solid, stiff (the way i like it).

Report back on how they are.
We know. We know.
Old 02-11-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ bad dog, baaad dog!
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

ILL KEEP U GUYS POSTED,BTW, JUST GOT MY BEAKS BAR TODAY THROWING THAT ON WITH SKUNK2 LCA, BEAKS BAR IS RED THOUGH, WAT COLOR SHOULD I GET MY LCAs? SKUNK2 ONLY HAS LIKE 4 COLORS AVAILABLE, NO RED!
Old 02-14-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

why are you yelling out loud again?
if you wanna yell about colors go for pink
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

enigmatic jc is an unknown quantity at this point

ILL KEEP U GUYS POSTED,BTW, JUST GOT MY BEAKS BAR TODAY THROWING THAT ON WITH SKUNK2 LCA, BEAKS BAR IS RED THOUGH, WAT COLOR SHOULD I GET MY LCAs? SKUNK2 ONLY HAS LIKE 4 COLORS AVAILABLE, NO RED!
depends...what colour is your car? and do you have a colour scheme you wanna do?
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by enigmatic jc
depends...what colour is your car? and do you have a colour scheme you wanna do?

My car is white, with black door handles and a black molding on the doors, i wanna stick to white black, and some chrome or maybe polished parts as well as red. im thinking anything on the suspension or engine will be red, H emblems too, the rest is black n white, black type r grill etc.
Old 02-15-2013

Sounds like another ricer is in the works. Welcome to the club.
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Sounds like another ricer is in the works. Welcome to the club.
Ricer? LOl!

Red Beans and Rice, LOl, Im Mexican.