Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Rear Camber Kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Re: Rear Camber Kits

Cheapest, yet good quality coilovers available are Ground Controls (which require you to buy shocks seperately) People recommend Tockico HP Blues or Koni Yellows.
Other options are Skunk2 (recommended by some, not me personally) and TEIN's entry level coilovers like the Basic or Street Basis.

All of these options run about $700.
You will need to get an alignment after installation too which is $50-$150 depending on the place.

My setup checks out like this:
TEIN Street Basis Coilovers - $715
Ingalls Rear Camber Kit (used) - $40
Installation - FREE, did it myself
Alignment - $175 (I got way ripped off...)
TOTAL: $930

And that's just an entry-level setup.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i got an idea how about you save some more money and then buy something better ???
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSMCivicCoupe will become famous soon enough

Im going to be doing the work all myself. My current set up is Tein S techs on stock shocks. Been running that setup for about 3 months and I just want to go lower.
Old 10-10-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

sell the springs, put it toward the $700 budget and get coilovers...

you should have saved your money and did it RIGHT the first time huh? this is what we are all trying to tell you.

if you get cheapy-shitty coilovers (aka rokkor) you will be disappointed to only replace your suspension AGAIN.

so save up those monies and buy somethign worth while.
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

What do you guys think of Nuespeed springs on tokico blues? Drop is about 2.25 inches according to their website.
Old 10-11-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

your making the same mistake again. you will be dropped but you wont be able to adjust it to your liking.

if you buy springs, you will ALWAYS have a bigger gap in the front than you do in the rear (a lil less with the neuspeed)

example:
Name:  3428f50eb5acbe8e6d28461c3c122d62.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  197.3 KB

Name:  9fd936c4ff070e4cba3eb0268eb80ae0.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  277.9 KB

you'll see that and have OCD and regret not having coilovers where you can adjust every milimeter of a drop

like this:
Name:  IMG_9879copy.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  1.08 MB

Old 10-11-2012

tokico blues are only capable of handling a drop to about 1.5" before they blow out. they are made more of a mild drop not 2+ inch. the only strut that is truly made to handle a 2+ inch drop are koni yellows.

ive ran a 4+ inch drop on my car for 40k and they are still perfectly fine.
Old 10-11-2012

in case you didnt think i was serious about the 4+ inches

Name:  50889E4A-C2D5-4A4F-96D2-770C93226852-51161-000007A1B328E20D.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  458.3 KB
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
tokico blues are only capable of handling a drop to about 1.5" before they blow out. they are made more of a mild drop not 2+ inch. the only strut that is truly made to handle a 2+ inch drop are koni yellows.

ive ran a 4+ inch drop on my car for 40k and they are still perfectly fine.
So what would be a good option then? Koni yellows with Ground controls?
btw what are you on currently?
Old 10-11-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

SM in the username - is it from autoX?
also, we assuming you have a 7th gen, correct?

about RK/RC: you might find some good reviews on the rokkor/raceland, but then they are cheap and designed for sale volume, so quality control of theirs means some will come ok, some simply... will not.
lucky's game, yer life, so you get what you pays. just remember that the guy driving next to you did not choose to cheap out on suspension componenets, so be sure to swerve from them if they break and you need to go off-road.

now, if you into autoX as username suggests, yer not gonna be top dog in that setup... save for better.

listen to sl33py, he did his homework and listened too and reads a lot (from what i know )
Old 10-12-2012

heres a better shot of the even drop

Name:  IMG_9800copy.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  206.1 KB
Old 10-12-2012

Originally Posted by SSMCivicCoupe
So what would be a good option then? Koni yellows with Ground controls?
btw what are you on currently?
any coilover that isnt race land, rokkor, d2, ksport

im dropped on GC and koni yellows. they are really amazing and run with the suspension that are a couple grand (like KW v3). they arnt exactly a cheap option. the koni yellows will run you $700 alone. GC will run you $350. they are also much much more complicated and harder to install than regular coilovers.

you can get tein basis for under a grand...

the acceptable, good, low-cost coilovers are tein basis or progress (there are more)

the basic coilovers are height adjustable, but are not dampening adjustable (soft to firm)

the higher end coilovers are KW v3, GC/yellow, tein superstreet or tein flex...etc

all these height adjustable and dampener adjustable.
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yeah supply and demand shot the price of progress coil overs up like crazy. when i bought mine two years ago they were under a grand now there over $1,400.
Old 10-12-2012

Originally Posted by lowlife9
yeah supply and demand shot the price of progress coil overs up like crazy. when i bought mine two years ago they were under a grand now there over $1,400.

that and progress has made better progress #wordplay with their suspension like more accurate valving for individual springs rates for different cars...etc
Old 10-12-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

I hear nothing but positive about progress, but I'm more than happy with my TEINs.
And really, if you're just using your car for daily driving, you won't really need the adjustable damping. They're already pretty soft and set up for urban roads.
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

I found some skunk2 Pro S coilovers locally for 500 but they are for the rsx. Will they fit our civics?
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

i believe so but the rsx is alot heavier so you will have worse ride quality and i believe you also need rsx tie rod ends.
Old 10-12-2012

I found some skunk2 Pro S coilovers locally for 500 but they are for the rsx. Will they fit our civics?
Only if you have a 03-05 civic plus you need rsx tie rods
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

i wonder if you can use the ksport adapters if you have 14mm crash bolts ???
Old 10-12-2012

i wonder if you can use the ksport adapters if you have 14mm crash bolts ???
Not sure of seriousness since you hate ksport

But yes you Couls use them
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

It's so hard to decide on which coilovers to get. I heard that when I do get coilovers I need to use my stock top hats? Is that true?
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

Not sure of seriousness since you hate ksport

But yes you Couls use them
yes i don't like ksport but considering the adapter is just a little piece of metal i don't see a problem with is also if they did fail you would still be able to maintain control of the vehicle. some kits come with top hats some don't its not really a big deal i would actually prefer to use stock top hats anyway as far as fitment is concerned.
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

some kits come with top hats some don't its not really a big deal i would actually prefer to use stock top hats anyway as far as fitment is concerned.
Is that same for the rear? Also when ever I turn Left or Right there is some kind of popping noise from the front. Could it be the bearings that go under the top hat? Because I remember that when I was putting my S Techs on that bearings flew everywhere when I removed the top hat.
Old 10-13-2012

Is that same for the rear? Also when ever I turn Left or Right there is some kind of popping noise from the front. Could it be the bearings that go under the top hat? Because I remember that when I was putting my S Techs on that bearings flew everywhere when I removed the top hat.
Kits vary with top hats depending on the brand. Front and rear are slightly different. On mine, all struts use the stock top hats.

That popping noise you here is coil binding and it's a very common problem because our Civics have MacPherson Struts in front which rotates the entire strut as you steer the car. The popping is the spring resisting that turning motion and snapping around in the spring seat. It's not a harmful problem, but it can be annoying.

The remedy is to lubricate between the spring and the spring seats, and between any bearings and plates you have in your strut assembly. A good lube will last about 8 months. If you want the problem gone for a long time, you can try adding thrust bearings to your strut assembly.
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
Kits vary with top hats depending on the brand. Front and rear are slightly different. On mine, all struts use the stock top hats.

That popping noise you here is coil binding and it's a very common problem because our Civics have MacPherson Struts in front which rotates the entire strut as you steer the car. The popping is the spring resisting that turning motion and snapping around in the spring seat. It's not a harmful problem, but it can be annoying.

The remedy is to lubricate between the spring and the spring seats, and between any bearings and plates you have in your strut assembly. A good lube will last about 8 months. If you want the problem gone for a long time, you can try adding thrust bearings to your strut assembly.
I noticed that the popping only happens when I'm at a slop but during normal driving it's fine, so I don't think it's the coil binding because wouldn't it make that noise every time I made a turn?

Also another question about camber kits is that does the alignment shop adjust the camber when I take it in for an alignment or would I have to do it myself?
Old 10-13-2012

I noticed that the popping only happens when I'm at a slop but during normal driving it's fine, so I don't think it's the coil binding because wouldn't it make that noise every time I made a turn?

Also another question about camber kits is that does the alignment shop adjust the camber when I take it in for an alignment or would I have to do it myself?
No, it is most definitely coil binding. It happens at very low speed (especially turning the wheel at a dead stop!) and sometimes when turning sharply on a sloped surface. It doesn't happen above a certain speed. There is a lot more stress keeping the spring from rotating when the car is sitting almost still.

An alignment shop will adjust the camber for you, but you have to let them know that you have adjustable arms and specify the degree of camber you want. If you don't choose a number, they'll set it to 0 degrees.

I'm at -1 all around which is helpful for fender clearance, but it makes the steering have sharper turn-in and it catches ruts in the road more easily. I learned from this mistake and I only recommend negative camber in the rear and leave the fronts at 0.

Last edited by krudmuphin; 10-13-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
No, it is most definitely coil binding. It happens at very low speed (especially turning the wheel at a dead stop!) and sometimes when turning sharply on a sloped surface. It doesn't happen above a certain speed. There is a lot more stress keeping the spring from rotating when the car is sitting almost still.

An alignment shop will adjust the camber for you, but you have to let them know that you have adjustable arms and specify the degree of camber you want. If you don't choose a number, they'll set it to 0 degrees.

I'm at -1 all around which is helpful for fender clearance, but it makes the steering have sharper turn-in and it catches ruts in the road more easily. I learned from this mistake and I only recommend negative camber in the rear and leave the fronts at 0.
Whats a good number to set my rear camber at?

How long should I wait to get an alignment after I get my coilovers on?
I really appreciate you answering my noobish questions.
Old 10-13-2012

Whats a good number to set my rear camber at?

How long should I wait to get an alignment after I get my coilovers on?
I really appreciate you answering my noobish questions.
No problem. We ate here to help and steer you in the right direction.

As for camber, you can run up to -3 degrees before you really wear out your tires unevenly.

I run a -2 in front and -1 in rear.

However, many shops will not align it to a specific spec you want. They will do oem specs which is 0 camber all around (or as clOse to zero as possible)

What I would do is adjust your height to your desired height. Drive on it for a few days (like 30 ish miles) to let them settle in. If you like the stance/even-ness of the new look, go get it aligned.

Since you have coilovers it might be a good idea to invest in a place that offers lifetime alignment (ie Firestone). I routinely adjust my coilovers up and down (especially in the winter when I raise up my car to for snow chains on). I also drive me car pretty hard so it does mess up the alignment faster.
Old 10-14-2012
Registered!!

No problem. We ate here to help and steer you in the right direction.

As for camber, you can run up to -3 degrees before you really wear out your tires unevenly.

I run a -2 in front and -1 in rear.

However, many shops will not align it to a specific spec you want. They will do oem specs which is 0 camber all around (or as clOse to zero as possible)

What I would do is adjust your height to your desired height. Drive on it for a few days (like 30 ish miles) to let them settle in. If you like the stance/even-ness of the new look, go get it aligned.

Since you have coilovers it might be a good idea to invest in a place that offers lifetime alignment (ie Firestone). I routinely adjust my coilovers up and down (especially in the winter when I raise up my car to for snow chains on). I also drive me car pretty hard so it does mess up the alignment faster.
Yea I was thinking of -2 or -1 for the rear but if they dont accept the specific spec I want will it be ok if set it as 0. Would that cause uneven wear on my tires?

The last time I went to firestone I asked them about their alignment and they told me that they have a one time alignment for like $80 and then they have the Lifetime Alignment for $120 or $140 I forget but I asked them if they could do lowered vehicles they said it depends on how low the car is and that he would have to look at the car before he can give me offer me their Lifetime alignment. Is it true that they cant give me lifetime if im lowered?
Old 10-14-2012

I'm not sure about the lifetime alignment deal, you'll just have to meet with a Firestone representative in person and have them examine the car.

Tire wear with negative camber is not really noticeable, nor is it very harmful. But if your toe or caster is misaligned, that would cause more severe wear problems. A good alignment shop will make sure those are both in check.

With negative camber, the inside edges will still wear faster. Unless you like to drive hard and corner hard, in which case, negative camber might actually make your tires wear more evenly.

Quick Reply: Rear Camber Kits