Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

2nd thoughts about lowering? :/

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
2nd thoughts about lowering? :/

I have my mind made up that I want to get Tein Coilovers at the end of the month but I'm having some sort of nervous breakdown. I've never installed suspension and it appears to be a bit risky. I'm worried some sort of adjustments are going to be screwed up as a result of me not being experienced. On top of all this, my parents are very upset with my decision to lower my car. (they aren't going to prevent me, but they're not pleased with the idea)

I'm posting this thread as a request for moral support. It's a tough (and quite expensive...) decision and I want all the positive feedback i can get. That way I can feel confident about this purchase and installation. Also if you have any first time tips for installing coilovers, it would be greatly appreciated. As far as I know, the coilovers I'm getting will require dis-assembly of the stock struts to utilize the stock top hats.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-15-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd thoughts about lowering? :/

Swapping springs was the first mod I ever did on my car. I was 18, my helping friend was 16, we were both equally inexperienced. Before then, all I've done on cars was an oil change and watch my dad change brakes. Four hours from start to finish in my dad's driveway, me and my friend were on our way to get that post-lowering alignment done.

You got this. The spring swap DIY guide we have is quite helpful, and very detailed, at that. It's the same DIY guide I used when I cracked into it
Old 04-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

http://gametrax.net/springs/index.html
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1224& transactionid=1334466976-693738116&posted_by=lowlife9_www.civicforums.com&y outube_video_id=VZ2HcRl4wSk[/autostream]
Old 04-15-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

To be totally honest... I have the monetary means and the know how to lower my car. The payoff just isn't there for a DD. I have no intention to lower or change a perfectly good functioning suspension. Hence why I haven't done it. If my shocks ever blow, sure, I will lower my car. however, until then I will keep my money going towards things the car actually needs

This probably won't help you decide because you've already decided, my general consensus on this is if it ain't broke don't fix it
Old 04-15-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

for some reason, this feels fitting

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1225& transactionid=1334468148-6822738189&posted_by=xRiCeBoYx_www.civicforums.com &youtube_video_id=AZKpByV5764[/autostream]

I've said this in another thread before: every experience, good or bad, is a great learning experience. If you wanna work on a car, the best way (that I've found, at least), is to learn by doing. You have a vast database at your hands (sure, it kinda sucks to search sometimes, but there's still LOTS of information), with more than enough people to help guide you along your way. If you get stuck, take a break from working, post up a thread asking for help.

/confidence boost mode
Old 04-15-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
To be totally honest... I have the monetary means and the know how to lower my car. The payoff just isn't there for a DD. I have no intention to lower or change a perfectly good functioning suspension. Hence why I haven't done it. If my shocks ever blow, sure, I will lower my car. however, until then I will keep my money going towards things the car actually needs

This probably won't help you decide because you've already decided, my general consensus on this is if it ain't broke don't fix it
I kinda have that same mentality, but I'm also a very artistic person and a bit OCD at times so when I look at my car riding high on the new 17" rims, it just doesn't look complete. Any amount of money is worth making something look cooler in my opinion

And thanks everyone else! Just needed a good boost. i will be referring to the suspension DIY on this forum for help.
Old 04-15-2012
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

I felt similar about 2 months ago when I needed new struts.... decided that if I was going to spend the money I was gonna drop it. Its my DD and I LOVE IT. it can be bumpy and stiff depending on the road but it just looks so good!!! Im not a fan of aftermarket rims and a fist gap.... looks like a monster truck. Drop that ****. Its not as hard as you think. its fun too!
Old 04-15-2012

Thanks a bunch guys! Very funny conversation too XD

I probably wouldn't be so nervous if it wasn't such an expensive task. But I practically have to get coilovers if I want to survive a Nebraskan winter.

Even though it's a DD, I don't care if it's stiff. I'd rather feel like I'm in a stable car than a floppy one. It's not the initial shock of bumps that bothers me, it's the bouncing of the car afterwards and the horrendous body roll in the corners that annoy me... so dropping it only seems logical.

And I totally agree... a fist gap above my 17"s is hard to stomach...

Do you guys think I'll have issues with rubbing with my 215/45 tires if I only lower down to a "2-finger" gap?
Old 04-15-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

^ no you shouldn't have a problem with rubbing.. and if you do just roll your fenders its easy to do
Old 04-15-2012
Administrator
Administrator

I don't have rubbing issues with that tire size. I haven't rolled my fenders, either.

I'm pretty sure I'm a tad lower than a 2-finger gap, too
Old 04-16-2012
Registered!!

PearlVic is an unknown quantity at this point

well...
GET THEM, one up me because i can't afford them
(really i could if i wanted to.. but i have a nagging girlfriend, might as well say fiance, that wont shut up about saving money and im not even out of college yet) I JUST WANT TO SPEND WHILE I STILL CAN lol
but clearly ill have to wait
but when i had my tacoma i didnt car how it rode or nothing, as long as the suspension worked and didnt bust or make me crash, i could care less how it rode as long as looked good,
but, i do have a local friend that just got tein coilovers, ive heard nothing but bad stuff about the lowering springs they make, but the coilovers, i was told rode very well, somewhat stiff but still cushiony
So all in all, more power to you my fiji blue friend, one up me and get coilovers haha
oh PS.. i have to sadly spend the money on new taillights now because the guy that blacked mine out put 3 coats of PPG paint and 2 coats of PPG clear on my taillights and you cant see my brakelights during the daytime only night... MONEY MONEY MONEY
makes the world go round
Old 04-16-2012

Cool, so hopefully rubbing is not a problem then! I will have to get my exhaust mid-pipe redesigned before I lower it though, otherwise I'll be scraping everything...

Originally Posted by PearlVic
well...
GET THEM, one up me because i can't afford them
Sorry, don't mean to make you feel inadequite bro, haha
If it makes you feel better, I'll practically have no moeny after the coilovers get sent on their way.
I JUST WANT TO SPEND WHILE I STILL CAN
Totally agree with this quote. I'm gonna get all this work done now while I don't have to pay college loans or house payments, lol.
Old 04-16-2012
Registered!!

PearlVic is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, i have a $1000 dollar loan to pay back now... guess for what.. haha
wanted to start buildin my credit so i took out a loan then decided to buy my tires and wheels with it lol, shouldve just took out a $2000 loan and bought coilovers too aye
Old 04-16-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

I am riding 215/45/17 on my 04 and have a ZERO finger gap and only rub in the front on decent bumps (infrequent though I do cringe even though its the splash guard which i refuse to remove)

I did however have to roll the rear fenders. I did not have a fender roller so I used a heat gun and a small rubber mallet. Worked fantastic! they are rolled and look great! NO RUB! I did rub like a motha before they were rolled on bumps and corners. I also had some flaking and rust underneath so I got a bottle of touch up paint did some sanding and made them look like new and prevent them from rusting.

Depending on the stiffness that you set you may be able to go to a 1 finger gap with no rub however I would suggest rolling the rear with a 215 tire and they will no doubt rub if you hit a decent size bump. up to you!

Name:  photo3-6.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  221.2 KB

Name:  photo2-9.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  241.3 KB
Old 04-16-2012

yep, i have a $1000 dollar loan to pay back now... guess for what.. haha
wanted to start buildin my credit so i took out a loan then decided to buy my tires and wheels with it lol, shouldve just took out a $2000 loan and bought coilovers too aye
Dang... that reminds me... I was going to start building my credit when I bought my wheels and tires but I totally forgot, haha. Credit is so stupid, haha, let's just buy houses with straight up cash and call it good. Screw the banks!

Thanks TFMEX, I love the stance of your car! I probably won't have to roll any fenders with the height I'm going to achieve. Also my coilovers don't have adjustable stiffness, so the taller the better in terms of longevity.
Old 04-16-2012
CO&CA

Thanks. Took me a few weeks of adjusting the preload to get the right feel I wanted. I'm dropped with Skunk2 Pro S II's. I know most wont have nice things to say about them but they ride GREAT and are very easy to adjust. I dont have the adjustable dampers either. Does your pre-load get adjusted independent of the ride height?

My only gripe is that the back cant get any lower without removing a spanner nut which isnt a big deal but with the 215 tires it rubs on the inside of the fender wall (not the fender itself). I do have about 1.5+ " of adjustment in the front tho. which would nearly put me on the ground (22").

I live in NH in the northeast and the roads arent that great at all. Id destroy something the first day....