Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

2001 Civic EX Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v2famous is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic EX Struts?

So I took my car in to get all 4 tires changed

And when I did they said I needed new struts....

They wanted to charge me 900

So here's my question "keep in mind I'm not a expert"

How much are a decent set of struts...

How many will I need

And how hard are they to install
Old 04-12-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Civic EX Struts?

I can get a good set of performance struts for about $600 shipped.

Install is pretty straightforward, follow the DIY guide to install lowering springs because its the same exact process with the exception of swapping struts instead of springs. Neverthless, you take everything out anyways. Installing lowering springs was the first mod I ever did to my car, and I was an inexperienced 18 year old with the help of my equally inexperienced 16 year old friend. Took about 4 hours start to finish in my dad's driveway.

Keep in mind, you'd have to get an alignment afterwards, too.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...info-pics.html
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

I found a full set front and rear for 400 (shipped) tokico blue, I've been hearing a lot of good things about those

So I'm going to buy those in a month

And I'm just going to learn by doing I guess because I don't want a strut or something to blow out.
Old 04-12-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

wow, that's a good price for those. Those were the shocks I was alluding to, also.

Make sure you purchase a set made for 01-02 civics and not 03-05. They have different crash bolt sizes (14mm vs 16mm, respectively).
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Okay yeah it's 01+

Will I need any other tools besides the normal...because I know springs you need a spring compressor

And if I decide to get springs to lower it a inch and I already have these tokico's will I need anything else?
Old 04-13-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

you may want to invest in a rear camber kit as the stock ones are not adjustable. you dont need front ones with a 1-1.25" drop
Old 04-13-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by v2famous
Okay yeah it's 01+

Will I need any other tools besides the normal...because I know springs you need a spring compressor

And if I decide to get springs to lower it a inch and I already have these tokico's will I need anything else?
I didn't use a spring compressor when I swapped out my springs.. It was kinda interesting, but I was able to reassemble the whole thing without too much trouble.

A tie rod separator tool may help, but last time I used one of those, it tore the crap out of my tie rod boots. Having a breaker bar on hand wouldn't hurt either. There's a tools list in the link in my last post.

Oh, and just for clarification, don't just buy the tokicos for "01+" civics. Make sure they're for 01-02, and not for 03-05