Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Tein Street Basis Coilovers, Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Tein Street Basis Coilovers, Opinion?

For a 2005 EX Coupe

Does anyone own Tein's Street Basis coilover set? How are they? If I choose not to buy lowering springs and shocks, this would be my next step up.

Are they good quality? Easy to install? Long-lasting? Good for performance/ride quality? Easy to adjust?

I found a set for only $820, so is there another brand within that range to compare to?

Thanks for all your answers!
Old 04-03-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Tein Street Basis Coilovers, Opinion?

Tein Basics aren't great

I would choose koni yellow/gc, tokino d-spec/gc or progress cs II at around that price point.
Old 04-03-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Not the basics, man. He's asking about the "Street Basis" model. They're kinda new-ish, redesigned basics.

Only info I got on 'em is from thmotorsports's site

TEIN Street Basis Damper is the evolution of the popular BASIC coilover model. It incorporates new internal and external components, newly developed coatings and new manufacturing processes.

TEIN engineers have spent many hours developing new seals and internal components to improve durability and product life. This was one of our major goals for the new model.

Newly developed “ZT” coating for improved durability and hassle-free ride height adjustment. TEIN developed this coating in-house after stringent test and analysis procedures. Our engineers tested different coats, application methods, cleaning processes, etc… in our own brine salt water testing machine which simulates heavy solvents/ road salts used in cold weather climates.

Slip-fit threaded adjustment tube. Allows for damper body and threaded sleeve to be thoroughly coated for rust/ corrosion protection.

The slip-fit allows a more thorough coating on the threaded section as well as powder coated damper body.

Revised Aluminum Spring Seat and Delrin Thrust Washer are light weight and durable. This combination allows for smooth ride height adjustment. The new spring seats have a larger contact surface area and eliminate the need for a rubber spring seat.
I was thinking about checking 'em out after my super streets decide they need to be replaced.
Old 04-03-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Not Tein Basic, Tein Basis. It's an internally redesgined and further improved version of the basic that don't have a short-life blowout problem like the Basics apparently did.
Old 04-04-2012

Okay then, since the Basis is fairly new, does anyone want to offer a detailed opinion of the Basics?
Old 04-04-2012
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

I did some serious research before settling and buying the Skunk2 Pro-S V2 coilovers. I got them for about 750.00 brand new for my EM2. The only thing that i dont like is that they dont have adjustable dampning like the Pro-C and some other brands. Other than that they are great. The ride is a nice balance of comfort and stiffness, great response above stock, and easy to work with to adjust ride height.

I may get flamed for saying good things about Skunk2 as some say their products are crap but I would disagree as it was in my price point, the ride is exactly what I wanted and after I figured out what I was doing (did all the work myself and had never installed a new suspension) it was easy.

I hear great things about the Grounds controls, and progress coilovers. i cannot recall the price differences but all I can say is make a list of what you want out of your ride and buy something quality that will fit your needs in your price point whatever that may be.
Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

how can anyone give an unbiased opinion given the the fact that these are new and based on the unreliable basic platform. if you want to be the guinea pig on these go for it otherwise this thread is going nowhere i would suggests you purchase something with known reputation.
Old 04-04-2012

I'm up for being a guinea pig in this situation then.
We can all benefit from this, even if it's a big mistake.
I actually have a pretty good feeling about them, whether the old one's were good or not doesn't concern me if it's a total redesign.
Thanks! Wish me luck!
Old 04-04-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

let us know. my only beef with getting a full coilover set is you have to replace everything when they blow out later. with a separate spring/shock combo, you just have to replace shocks every 5yrs or so. if i had money i would just go with the tein SS. be careful, there are tons of tein fakes out there.
Old 04-04-2012

Thanks. Somebody's gotta try it, why not me, haha
They are legit Teins too, I have them reserved by a private seller so I do not wish to share a link. I don't want anyone making higher offers than me when the price is as low as it is.
They retail at almost $900, I'm getting by with $800
Old 04-05-2012

Found more information on these coilovers if you guys are interested...
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=1139
Old 12-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dookietwo is an unknown quantity at this point

So did you get the BASIS? Wheres your revview?
Old 12-02-2012

Yes I did, here is an overview:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ression-2.html