Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Longer Tie Rod Ends? More Threads?

Old 02-08-2012
Slow and Low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05EXSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Longer Tie Rod Ends? More Threads?

Name:  429853_10150511697661199_567386198_9008626_364529025_n.jpg
Views: 5559
Size:  81.9 KB

Recently dumped the civic and got him on to the alignment rack last night. I found that because of the changed geometry from the drop and the positive camber adjustment up top, I run out of threads on my outer tie rods to set my toe correctly.. I end up maxing out and unscrewing the inner and outer before I set the toe in straight. What i end up with is both sides almost 2 degrees negative toe.

Ive searched and searched but no one seems to have tried aligning their car after a sever drop? I see that the EP3 tie rod ends will thread on but are they longer or have more internal threads?

HELP. Thanks guys
Old 02-08-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Longer Tie Rod Ends? More Threads?

http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/sho...t=25813&page=8
Old 02-08-2012
Slow and Low

Is your point to perhaps tap the threads further in the tie rod end? The link led me to page 8/9 and thats all i got from it. Flipped to first and last page. Nothing else helpful. Adding more internal threads to the OE tie rod end wont get me anywhere. I need a longer reach
Old 02-08-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?
they talking about the RSX tie rod ends in these pages...
I am not that dumped, just the eibach prokit, so don't know that much about. inverting the rods will also change the distance from the steering box, giving slight more adjustment for you
the meager negative camber gain from drop does not play much in strutted suspensions.
Old 02-09-2012
Slow and Low

Ok... But what ive gained from that thread is that EP3 and EM2 share the same diameter hole on the steering arms and the DC5 is a bit larger and will not fit.

Anyone else?
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

What_It_Do will become famous soon enough

I would think that if you were use a coupling nut with a male and female end, you could extend the factory tie rod arm to give you more thread.
I tried a quick search and they seems pretty rare, unless I don't know the exact name they go by, then you'd just have to find the right thread type and desired length.

Bottom one.
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Possibly shock extensions, but we would need something larger than the upper strut mount bolts.
I'll be going to a fastener warehouse soon, does anyone know the tread size and length of the tie rod end?
Old 02-09-2012
Slow and Low

Originally Posted by What_It_Do
I would think that if you were use a coupling nut with a male and female end, you could extend the factory tie rod arm to give you more thread.
I tried a quick search and they seems pretty rare, unless I don't know the exact name they go by, then you'd just have to find the right thread type and desired length.

Bottom one.
Dont know why I didnt think of that.. Just make it yourself. My dad owns a machine shop so i could always tap something if i cant find what you are showing here. Let me know if you have any luck and if so, which store. Im sure home depot and such might carry it.
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

OMG, dad owns a machine shop..LOL ya, definitely just make something!
You just need the thread size and appropriate grade metal.
Make me a set too!
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Yea, I could probably use a set of those puppies...the tie rods are nicely out of whack on my car lol
Old 02-10-2012
Slow and Low

OMG, dad owns a machine shop..LOL ya, definitely just make something!
You just need the thread size and appropriate grade metal.
Make me a set too!
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 05EXSE
If it'll help I'm going to bring a tie rod end to a fastener place tomorrow to find the exact thread size and length. Will let you know.
Old 02-11-2012
Slow and Low

If it'll help I'm going to bring a tie rod end to a fastener place tomorrow to find the exact thread size and length. Will let you know.
Please do. I might make a couple extra and send you them for cost of shipping. hesitant to get the car on the lift for the 5th time this week and check haha. Thanks
Old 02-11-2012
Slow and Low

Originally Posted by Aetoc
Yea, I could probably use a set of those puppies...the tie rods are nicely out of whack on my car lol
If you really want them I wouldnt mind sending you a pair for cost either. Im wondering why no one else has chimed in.. If you have a lowered EM2 you are going to need these to have correct alignment?.. Do people have tire hookups i dont know about?!

Edit:IF you have D2 coilovers i guess. Thought about this statement^. Perhaps other companies have the steering arm designed at a different angle to fix this..
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

If you really want them I wouldnt mind sending you a pair for cost either. Im wondering why no one else has chimed in.. If you have a lowered EM2 you are going to need these to have correct alignment?.. Do people have tire hookups i dont know about?!

Edit:IF you have D2 coilovers i guess. Thought about this statement^. Perhaps other companies have the steering arm designed at a different angle to fix this..
You're right about that...also, inverting the tie rods and using a modified inner tie rod bracket will also fix the steering geometry, so there are a few options...but even still, having extensions would give that extra flexibility that would be useful.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

You're right about that...also, inverting the tie rods and using a modified inner tie rod bracket will also fix the steering geometry, so there are a few options...but even still, having extensions would give that extra flexibility that would be useful.
What about just inverting outer tie rod and not the inner tie rod bracket?
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

What about just inverting outer tie rod and not the inner tie rod bracket?
That, I'm not sure of. I only know about the DC5 inner bracket because it's what someone did with his Em2, which sits about 1/2" off of the ground on GC's with Tokico D-Specs, which have the standard steering arm on them...other than inverted rods and an extended inner bracket, and upgraded bushings and smaller springs, he's really done nothing else to achieve that drop.

I would imagine that you could bottom out the standard ground control coils and get away with inverted rods...but I haven't done it myself. Once spring comes around and I roll my front fenders, I'll very likely find out lol.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

That, I'm not sure of. I only know about the DC5 inner bracket because it's what someone did with his Em2, which sits about 1/2" off of the ground on GC's with Tokico D-Specs, which have the standard steering arm on them...other than inverted rods and an extended inner bracket, and upgraded bushings and smaller springs, he's really done nothing else to achieve that drop.

I would imagine that you could bottom out the standard ground control coils and get away with inverted rods...but I haven't done it myself. Once spring comes around and I roll my front fenders, I'll very likely find out lol.
You're thinking of OBK with that setup, he also just put in extended ball joints.

What are you rolling fenders with?
Old 02-12-2012
Slow and Low

Interesting... I think in our case (OE Em2 parts) the outer tie rides are somewhat symetrical so I do not see where inverting them would change an orientation for a gain. I put my OE struts/shocks back on for now until i can gather everything else I need (rear camber kit as well.. )

I do however; believe that perhaps DC5 or other outer tie rods could be designed different and work being inverted? I think i will just make a set of the male/female couplers and give them a go.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Interesting... I think in our case (OE Em2 parts) the outer tie rides are somewhat symetrical so I do not see where inverting them would change an orientation for a gain. I put my OE struts/shocks back on for now until i can gather everything else I need (rear camber kit as well.. )

I do however; believe that perhaps DC5 or other outer tie rods could be designed different and work being inverted? I think i will just make a set of the male/female couplers and give them a go.
Inverting the tie rod ends (flipping them 180 degrees) lowers the tie rods down, and the reduced angle means they extend farther, thus fixing the toe. In order for them to fit in the bottom of the steering arm, though, you have to drill out the bottom of the arm, at the tie rod end bolt it tapered at one end. The DC5 inverted ends you can buy for like $200 offer a bit more adjustment, but require regular cleaning and regreasing, and still need the steering arms drilled out, or the tie rod end bolts put on a lathe and the taper removed.

I rear camber kit is definitely a good idea :P I picked up Megan rear arms for $90 plus shipping on eBay, so they are very affordable.

What_It_Do, I'm pretty sure that's that's the guy - I do remember the extended ball joints now...also, the strut mounts are far from OEM, which I also forgot...it's pretty impressive how he managed to get that car as low as it is...I drive my car too much to have it that low lol.

Also, a guy from another forum who lives nearby is splitting the cost of renting a fender roller in the spring, and we are going to use it to do our fenders
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

You buying the EastWood Fender Roller?

I can rent it for $60 if you are interested we could do all three and it be $20 a piece.
Can do it at my place, or bring it up where you live.

Also got the thread size of the tie rod end.
I bought a tie rod and confirmed at two places that the thread size is:
M14x1.5

Get to work.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

I can rent it for $60 if you are interested we could do all three and it be $20 a piece.

M14x1.5

Get to work.
Yea, we were gonna rent one at some point, just not sure when at this point...probably sometime around when I invert my tie rod ends lol.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Yea, we were gonna rent one at some point, just not sure when at this point...probably sometime around when I invert my tie rod ends lol.
You gonna be removing front wheel well liners too?

I've thought about modifying them since I was all ready rubbing, and I'll be dropping even lower. Or just removing them..lol
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

You gonna be removing front wheel well liners too?

I've thought about modifying them since I was all ready rubbing, and I'll be dropping even lower. Or just removing them..lol
I'm probably gonna end up removing mine, seeing as how I don't want to get into making something custom in that area....just gotta replace my front slash guard at least, 'cause it's not on the car.
Old 02-16-2012
Slow and Low

M14x1.5

Get to work.
Nice! Now just need to determine how long to make it. Dont want too much length added lol
Old 07-04-2012
Registered!!

rwesx is an unknown quantity at this point

have u had any progress in the production of these extensions? if so please lmk