Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

EM2/DC5/EP3 Suspension Compatibility

Old 05-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: EM2/DC5/EP3 Suspension Compatibility

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Very important to note, pwnsauce has a sixth generation civic.

The subframe design on sixth generation civics is much weaker than the seventh generation.
dont tell me that. lol also mine is a progress 22mm. and i have progress csII coilovers with the ss springs (i dont think u 7th geners have a spring option with the csII's but 6th gens do. street, super street, and drag) and g-force sport tires.

i almost dont wanna look and see how bad it is lol but fingers crossed
Old 05-17-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
dont tell me that. lol also mine is a progress 22mm. and i have progress csII coilovers with the ss springs (i dont think u 7th geners have a spring option with the csII's but 6th gens do. street, super street, and drag) and g-force sport tires.

i almost dont wanna look and see how bad it is lol but fingers crossed
Honestly, most people would call you crazy to run that swaybar without a brace.

ASR knock off braces are only $85 on ebay.
Old 05-17-2012
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

i might do that. since every other company thinks its okay to sell a piece of aluminum with some holes drilled in it for $200+.

on the plus side the subframe looks fine. i did notice however that my sway is kinda resting on top of my control arms.
Old 05-20-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so I've recently discovered that the EM2 and RSX type "S" axles are the same on the transmission side, they only differ on the knuckle side. I have a line on some type "S" front knuckles and axles. I'm going to try to install type "S" front knuckles and axles into the D17, hopefully this works.
Old 05-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

That would be very interesting if it works out, Blue.
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danyem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: EM2/DC5/EP3 Suspension Compatibility

Hello everyone!
I'm doing a conversion DC5R susp to EM2('01). And I need help.
I changed my 5lug hubs from RSX(base) to DC5 R knuckles (with more offset), wit same bearing, coilovers/springs (fr/rr) and LCA (fr/rr), master/buster RSX (base), prop.valve (and I don't need that) .
I don't know if I need DC5 R cross-member for my front sway bars? I know what DC5 R sway bar longer than RSX (base) or Civic, so I can't. Is rear sway bar need to be changed too?

I look for ball-joints, tie-rods for DC5 R, e-brakes (DC5R or EP3)?, bolts for my struts to knuckle...

Thank you.

Last edited by danyem2; 05-24-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by danyem2
Hello everyone!
I'm doing a conversion DC5R susp to EM2('01). And I need help.
I changed my 5lug hubs from RSX(base) to DC5 R knuckles (with more offset), wit same bearing, coilovers/springs (fr/rr) and LCA (fr/rr), master/buster RSX (base), prop.valve (and I don't need that) .
I don't know if I need DC5 R cross-member for my front sway bars? I know what DC5 R sway bar longer than RSX (base) or Civic, so I can't. Is rear sway bar need to be changed too?

I look for ball-joints, tie-rods for DC5 R, e-brakes (DC5R or EP3)?, bolts for my struts to knuckle...

Thank you.
You need to use DC5-R LCAs, but not a different subframe. The mounting points on the DC5-R aluminum control arms compensate for the increased length of the swaybar.
Old 05-26-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

How did you make the front "R" knuckle to work? The axles don't spline?
Old 05-27-2012
Registered!!

EcoRacerD17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!
I'm kinda new here, but I have a question on DC5/EM2 compatibility: a guy in my region is selling a Mugen SS coilover kit for a DC5, and he has assured me that it will fit the EM2 (except for maybe the rear strut may have to be shaved slightly to make it fit), and then I would need a camber kit as well as tie rods from the DC5.
Is there anyone on here who has tried this, and will this actually work? Thanks!!
Matt
Old 05-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by EcoRacerD17
Hello!
I'm kinda new here, but I have a question on DC5/EM2 compatibility: a guy in my region is selling a Mugen SS coilover kit for a DC5, and he has assured me that it will fit the EM2 (except for maybe the rear strut may have to be shaved slightly to make it fit), and then I would need a camber kit as well as tie rods from the DC5.
Is there anyone on here who has tried this, and will this actually work? Thanks!!
Matt
If they're off an 02-04 RSX, then you were informed very near correctly:

The rears do need to be shaved down at the eye bolt,
The tie rod ends need to be changed,
The rear camber kit is the same,
The front camber bolts are the same if it's an 03-05 Civic, but if its an 01-02 you will need to go with one of three options: 16-14mm washers available from k-sport, drill out your knuckle with a 5/8 or 16mm drill bit, or swap to 03-05 knuckles.
Old 05-29-2012
Registered!!

EcoRacerD17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
If they're off an 02-04 RSX, then you were informed very near correctly:

The rears do need to be shaved down at the eye bolt,
The tie rod ends need to be changed,
The rear camber kit is the same,
The front camber bolts are the same if it's an 03-05 Civic, but if its an 01-02 you will need to go with one of three options: 16-14mm washers available from k-sport, drill out your knuckle with a 5/8 or 16mm drill bit, or swap to 03-05 knuckles.
Thanks MindBomber! My civic is an '04 so sounds cool, I'm gonna get in touch with the seller again, but is there any difference if the coilovers come from an '05-'06 RSX?
Old 05-29-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

I have the DC5 21mm rear sway bar installed in my EM2 now and it works fantastic, but does anyone else have an issue with loud clunking and rattling noises after swapping it in? I believe it could be hitting my exhaust pipe (2.5" dia.), but I'm not sure. Everything is tightened up and secured pretty well, I even confirmed that my coilovers weren't making the noise. Insight? Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know about the strut bar compatibility between the ep3 and em2? Im looking at an upper front neuspeed bar from an 02 si...would it fit my 04 em2?
Old 08-24-2012

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Bump....really need to know soon...can anyone help me out?
Old 08-24-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Bump....really need to know soon...can anyone help me out?
yes ep3 em2 and dc5 all share the same front strut towers. the dc5 and ep3 also share the same rear towers but the em2's is different.
Old 08-24-2012

Alright so hood/engine clearances etc. would all be the same? Thanks for the reply

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...Y/DSC07281.jpg

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/m...d-wire-kit.jpg

See comparing an ep3 and em2 with the bar, they appear to be different. That being said would the ep3 model still work and clear everything?

Last edited by rjones7755; 08-24-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Alright so hood/engine clearances etc. would all be the same? Thanks for the reply

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...Y/DSC07281.jpg

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/m...d-wire-kit.jpg

See comparing an ep3 and em2 with the bar, they appear to be different. That being said would the ep3 model still work and clear everything?
another brand has the exact same part number for both cars and theres was big and bulky. neuspeeds pn's are different but i think it being as skinny as it is shouldnt be in the way of anything.

edit: after seeing both of those pics unless you can put the ep3 one on backwards somehow i dont think they would work. other people on other forums say theres from an ep3 fit their em2 but maybe just the neuspeeds bars wont fit.
Old 08-25-2012

Damn

Anyone know for sure?
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

What_It_Do will become famous soon enough

Anyone know if there is a difference between 01-03 and 04-05 trailing arms?
They have different part numbers.
RSX rear trailing arm is a different part number as well. We know the rear lower shock bushing is wider, so therefore a different bracket, but any other differences?
I compared the two and it looks like there are different sizes bolts which are used to attach the knuckle to trailing arm as well, different gauge. Does that mean the bushings from RSX knuckle doesn't fit Civic hardware??
Old 10-25-2020
Registered!!

Mattem2civic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2002 Honda civic better known as a em2 when I got the car it was on megan lowering springs and stock struts one of the struts is bad and I am needing to know which coilovers will interchange with my em2 as far as different model civics eg ek em1 em2 ep3 etc any advice will be greatly appreciated or do I need to just buy brand new coilovers for a em2 thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...-mindbomb.html
Old 10-27-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

You need 7th Gen (01-05) parts.
Old 11-04-2020
Old fart

gspd550_2 is an unknown quantity at this point

To anyone with advice on doing a 5 lug/disk brake swap on an 04 EM2, please pass it along.

I have an 04 Civic LX D17A1 EM2 that I am in the process of K-swapping with the K20A3 and 5 speed trans (complete swap...eng, trans, harness, axles, ecu) from my 04 Civic Si EP3. I would like to do a 5 lug swap and eventually a full disk brake swap.
I'm trying to find out if since the stock D17A1 axles are 32mm, same size as the K20A3 axles and EP3 or RSX base knuckles will fit the EM2 and allow you to use the D17A1 and stock axles until I get the K swap done, can I just replace the stock 4 lug D17A1 hubs with 04-05 EP3 or RSX base 5 lug hubs? If so, would it also require swapping the wheel bearings also?

Please, if you know for sure, let me know.
Thank you and much appreciated.
Old 11-04-2020
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gspd550_2
To anyone with advice on doing a 5 lug/disk brake swap on an 04 EM2, please pass it along.
If only you tried searching...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...1-01-05-a.html

I would like to do a 5 lug swap and eventually a full disk brake swap.
You can't 5 lug swap without swapping to discs in the back at the same time.

I'm trying to find out if since the stock D17A1 axles are 32mm, same size as the K20A3 axles and EP3 or RSX base knuckles will fit the EM2 and allow you to use the D17A1 and stock axles until I get the K swap done, can I just replace the stock 4 lug D17A1 hubs with 04-05 EP3 or RSX base 5 lug hubs? If so, would it also require swapping the wheel bearings also
If you're asking if you can swap hubs without anything else the answer is no. The inner and outer diameters for wheel bearings are larger on the 5 lug setup than the 4 lug.
The following users liked this post:
gspd550_2 (11-04-2020)
Old 03-18-2021
Registered!!

902em2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Will ALL susp. bits cross over from DC5 to EM2?

Hello I have never used Honda forum before so from what Ur saying is if I buy a ep3 coil overs it will fit my em2 I have a sedan plz PM

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-23-2021 at 12:16 PM. Reason: remove email as per forum rules
Old 03-24-2021
Super Moderator

Depends what year if you want it to be an exact replacement. It's all spelled out in the post.