Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

strut bars and tie bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
strut bars and tie bar

okay so i got megan upper front and rear strut tower bars and a lower rear tie bar

front upper bar went smoothly and was pretty straight forward. but where are the towers for the rear? and i dont have a clue how the lower tie bar goes on.

anyone have any pics of their rear upper and lower bars?
Old 11-01-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: strut bars and tie bar

ok nevermind i found the rear towers...but im still not sure how the tie bar goes on
Old 11-01-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I've got a Cusco Upper Rear, not sure if I have a pic or not. Should be straight forward like the front, unless you have the holes for the body mount.

Rear Upper pics (for RSX, but you get the idea. EM/ES are hard to find):

Some Random Lower Rear pics:

Sorry, had to throw that one in there.

Last edited by maxtierney; 11-01-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2011
Registered!!

awesome that gives me an idea...the third pic looks a lot like my car. but can i just go takin that bolt out and bolt the tie bar onto it?...or do i need to get the back wheels off the ground for it?
Old 11-01-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Nope. You'll need to jack up the car. Raise the car just enough so that the rear tires are barely touching. That way, the LCAs won't move and you can remove/install the bolts without trying to align the holes again.
Old 11-01-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

would that white bar even do anything? seems like there is already a metal plate doing the same job.
Old 11-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

A lower tie bar stiffens the subframe up a bit, it won't make a huge difference in feel, but reduces flex in hard cornering if you have large sway bar.
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

this is the one i got
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2306928...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

honestly i just got it cuz it came with both upper strut bars as a combo for like $120...but i figure if im gonna get tokico blues eventually it would probly help to have it. maybe some sway bars? and a front lower brace or something

anyways thanks maxtierney ill attempt it thursday maybe.

and honestly i cant tell that much of a difference with the tower bars on...maybe a bit less flexing...then again i was only going like 20 through a corner. but at least they look good lol

heres the upper front a rear pics tho

Old 11-02-2011
EM2ti

Sweet! Now tuck those wires away.
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

lol the ones in the trunk?
Old 11-02-2011
EM2ti

Yup. You got some bling back there now, can't be having wires hanging out everywhere. That could be the difference between watching an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" by yourself and some sexy time after the club. Like my dad always said, "Always wear your spurs, 'cause you never know when you'll run into a hefer!" - Whatever that means. Haha.
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

lol nice. but i just ordered my new system like 5 minutes ago...alpine type r 12 dvc 1600 watt and a kenwood 1000 watt monoblock amp and a new bigger box. SO im gonna mount the amp up towards the back on the side of the trunk and wire all the wires through the carpet. should look nice, and SLAMM
Old 12-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HateOnEveryone is an unknown quantity at this point

I found a megan front upper strutbar on ebay for like 60$ b ut im afraid to buy it because last time I bought a rele cheap bootleg strutbrace and it didnt bend around my air intake like this does anyone know if itll fit also do u even get a different feel after installing it or is it mainly for show
Old 12-15-2011
Registered!!

mine is the megan and i have a cai and there is about 1/4-1/2 an inch between the bar and the intake.

honestly unless you have a whole suspension setup u cant feel it that much. but with some koni yellows and a neuspeed front lower brace id bet u can tell a difference.
Old 12-15-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
mine is the megan and i have a cai and there is about 1/4-1/2 an inch between the bar and the intake.

honestly unless you have a whole suspension setup u cant feel it that much. but with some koni yellows and a neuspeed front lower brace id bet u can tell a difference.
Thanks u got a picture? Also add says megan specified its only for auto trans but thats shudnt make a dofference shud still fit??
Old 12-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HateOnEveryone
I found a megan front upper strutbar on ebay for like 60$ b ut im afraid to buy it because last time I bought a rele cheap bootleg strutbrace and it didnt bend around my air intake like this does anyone know if itll fit also do u even get a different feel after installing it or is it mainly for show
Passive chassis bracing is completely for feel, the difference it makes in measurable performance equates to a few tenths of a second on a track. If performance is your goal, before you buy a single passive chassis brace, you should be completely out of active suspension modifications like sway bars.
Old 12-15-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the fronts changed the feel on mine, but again i have springs and shocks upgrade. Rears... there is enough sheet metal in between the towers (not much like towers, so not much to be gained in there. good for bling, i would guess. anyway, just threw in here so as to no one get the wrong idea that they actually improve performance.
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

Thanks u got a picture? Also add says megan specified its only for auto trans but thats shudnt make a dofference shud still fit??

as for the automatic fitment...i honestly have no idea. the one i bought didnt specify auto or mt...but if it matters i have a mt
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

Sorry for postin so much but im not very wealthy and I dont wana buy this and it not fit I have 04 vp coupe m/t
Check out this item I found on eBay:

MEGAN FRONT UPPER STRUT BAR 01-05 CIVIC 2/4DR DX LX EM ES EM2 ES1 A/T AT ONLY

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-FRONT-...-/150706902683
Old 12-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Sorry for postin so much but im not very wealthy and I dont wana buy this and it not fit I have 04 vp coupe m/t
Check out this item I found on eBay:

MEGAN FRONT UPPER STRUT BAR 01-05 CIVIC 2/4DR DX LX EM ES EM2 ES1 A/T AT ONLY

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-FRONT-...-/150706902683
If you'd like my honest opinion, don't buy a Megan.

I actually like Megan parts, the quality is very good for the cost, but the strut bars aren't great. The most rigid, best design for our chassis is neuspeed. They sell for around $150 brand new, but every few months one pops up for sale in the marketplace at between $50-75.

There shouldn't be any difference between an auto and manual strut bar.
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

oh well thats what i got lol 04 vp coupe mt. it fits but i had to turn the bar a little bit back to clear the intake without rattling against it. but it does fit. as for which is better, to be honest i bought it mainly for the bling lol.
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

i bought an ebay strut/tie bar combo deal 2 1/2 yrs ago. while removing them during my motor swap and lowering i noticed that the brackets were bent. soo they must've helped a bit at one point. needless to say they are in my recycle pile now
Old 12-16-2011
Registered!!

thanks for all your guys help i bought the megan from the ebay link i sent before $61.91 ill attach pictures if it fits and if it doesnt i will cry...no returns
Old 12-23-2011
Registered!!

Ok so it fits.. Sorta the intake pipe is pressed against it really tight took some muscling also its slightly angeled foward. plus I had to bend the brake fluid rez back a little bit.I have an ebay short ram with a k&n filter 2.5 inches do u think a different pipe same diameter would help it fit beter?

Last edited by HateOnEveryone; 01-01-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

Huh thats weird. U sure its 2.5? Mines 3inch and i have about a 1/4 to a half inch of room betwwen them
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

:EDITED:
Name:  theenginebay.png
Views: 5237
Size:  912.2 KB
Yea positive. I mean it dont bother me to much that they touch just sometimes wen I start the car or ease into first engine sometimes vibarates the pipe into it also i had to bend the brake fluid rez foward to make it fit, do you think a different but similar ebay pipe will clear the strut brace?

Last edited by HateOnEveryone; 01-05-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: photo hosting and typos
Old 02-08-2012
Slow and Low

05EXSE is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice trunk just like mine
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

hondajdmmachine is an unknown quantity at this point

what it the best after market brand you guys recomend for strut bars?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s6CElNZTyqg
Old 03-17-2012
aka JJDInYourFace

Justin1188 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you guys must be doing something right because the Megan Racing strut bar is not working for my '04 LX with an AT. It is hitting the K&N that I have on my car (http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-1008TS) and is driving me nuts! I don't really want to tilt the bar forward, although, I am not sure if this decreases performance as I am not a track day person. So what I was thinking of doing is making a custom intake with the following materials;

http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/hps...hose-blue.html

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-1008TS
I would sue the 90 degree hose and cut the height to what I needed and the same with the aluminum tube which I would then weld to the K&N tubing where it begins to bend for the air filter to be attached.

So despite my rambling and excessive pictures and URL's do you all think it would be worth it? The silicon hose would probably be black and then I could powder-coat the aluminum tubing any color I want. Let me know guys!

-Justin
Old 03-17-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Yup, the Megan strut bar like most for our chassis will hit an aftermarket air intake. If you can find a DC Sports or Neuspeed one those will clear it.

Quick Reply: strut bars and tie bar