Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

compliance bushing issues

Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eljay67 is an unknown quantity at this point
compliance bushing issues

Hey everyone. I really need some help with this one. I recently went to have my compliance bushings replaced on my 2001 Honda Civic LX, but my mechanic could not get the bushing out due to an unusually amount of rust. The nut keeps turning but will not come out. He tried everything, but to no avail. He says it's nothing he can do and he doesn't want to cause further damage. My bushings are basically shot so you can imagine what the driving performance of the car is like. After bringing the car home I did some research and discovered that the bushing is a part of the control arm system. I have two questions: 1) is it possible to disconnect the control arm without involving the bushing; and 2) if the answer to question 1 is 'no' then what are my options if I can't get the bushing out in order to replace it? Can I still drive the car? I really don't want to buy another one, but I will for safety reasons of course. I will greatly appreciate any help/advice on this matter.
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

civicny is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: compliance bushing issues

just replace whole control arms with bushings.on e-bay you'l find them for less then 50$.if your bushings shot not suggestable to drive the car,couse you might loose your steering
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

TDC2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point

just replaced compliance bushings and balljoints, what nut are you talking about, the lower control arm is held on by two bolts the balljoint castle nut and swaybar endlink.
heres a pic of lower control arm
photo11.jpg?t=1308289101
you need to replace that front fat round bushing
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

your mechanic sucks just cut the bolts and put on new ones these ingalls use poly bushings.
http://www.dezod.com/cat_control_arms.cfm
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

I should have said the 'bolt.' One of the bolts (I'm thinking the balljoint castle nut) that is connected to the arm is rusted so badly that it won't come out. As I mentioned earlier the bolt just spins in place when he attempts to take it out.
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

replace balljoint, and just cut off the nut, use puller to pop lower control arm off from knuckle
Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

stevelaw18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eljay67
I should have said the 'bolt.' One of the bolts (I'm thinking the balljoint castle nut) that is connected to the arm is rusted so badly that it won't come out. As I mentioned earlier the bolt just spins in place when he attempts to take it out.
Those castle nuts are funny like that. When I was trying to tighten mine, it would just spin without tightening, until I used a jack to relieve some pressure from the nut. Like others have said...find another mechanic.
Old 06-25-2011
Registered!!

i'm assuming his mechanic has a lift, and the castle nut should not just spin unless it ate its threads and at that point you'll have to cut it off
Old 07-19-2011
Registered!!

onedr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lowlife9
your mechanic sucks just cut the bolts and put on new ones these ingalls use poly bushings.
http://www.dezod.com/cat_control_arms.cfm
i'm in need of replacing my compliance bushings as well..
how well are these ?
Old 07-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by onedr
i'm in need of replacing my compliance bushings as well..
how well are these ?
ingalls is a well known manufacture of suspension parts they should be just fine. i use ingalls camber bolts and rear camber arms.
Old 07-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

get a set of energy suspension bushings if you want them to outlast the car. they do squeak a bit in cold weather, but the performance is hard to beat.
Old 07-20-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
get a set of energy suspension bushings if you want them to outlast the car. they do squeak a bit in cold weather, but the performance is hard to beat.
Hmmm.. i'm leaning towards es bushings but sleepyriceboi's comment on them in his "diy: repair lca broken bushing" is throwin me off. How hard is it exactly to replace them yourself?
Old 07-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

pretty hard, unless you have a press to remove the old ones and install the new ones. shops will usually install them for $40 if you bring in the LCA and the bushings and say you only want the bushings installed. its much cheaper than them actually working on the car to remove and install the lcas.
Old 07-26-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
pretty hard, unless you have a press to remove the old ones and install the new ones. shops will usually install them for $40 if you bring in the LCA and the bushings and say you only want the bushings installed. its much cheaper than them actually working on the car to remove and install the lcas.
interesting! well referring to what lowlife said, is it possible to just cut the bolt and get a new one, while keep the original lca's? I asked my friend to help me out n he says he knows how to do it, but doesn't like doing it cuz the bolts always seize? If that problem's solved, then maybe he'll lend a hand.
Old 07-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by onedr
interesting! well referring to what lowlife said, is it possible to just cut the bolt and get a new one, while keep the original lca's? I asked my friend to help me out n he says he knows how to do it, but doesn't like doing it cuz the bolts always seize? If that problem's solved, then maybe he'll lend a hand.
depends on the bolt.
Old 07-27-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
depends on the bolt.
the one being cut, or the new one?
Old 07-29-2011
Registered!!

Hey everyone! I was the originator of this particular compliance bushing issue topic. I just wanted to thank you all for your input. The issue was the mechanic. I found another one and, although it took some time, they were able to cut the castle nut and replace both my front bushings. My car rides nicely and I'm grateful for you guys' response because, according to the first mechanic, there wasn't any hope outside of buying another vehicle (I'm not interested in going back into debt). Big shout out to Cooper Lake Automotive in Smyrna, GA. If you are in the Atlanta area and need some work done that you can't, or don't have the time, to do on your own, check them out. I'll be using them for my future vehicle needs. Thanks again, everyone!
Old 08-25-2011
SubVerSive

CiviStang is an unknown quantity at this point

hey eljay what did they charge you to do the job?