Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Buying used springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rcelefano is an unknown quantity at this point
Buying used springs

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on buying used springs from someone I don't know. What are signs that tell me "do not buy these springs"?

Besides being in pieces obviously...

If there's a bit of rust, should I not bother?

And I'm not sure if they'll tell me the truth about how many km's are on them.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Buying used springs

A little bit of rust shouldn't be an issue, that's to be expected, what you need to look for is deep pitting rust as that affects the actual strength of the spring.

Check for the markings, every set of springs I've owned have had manufacturer info on multiple places.

All springs soften up and sag overtime, even tein and eibach, so if they won't tell you the mileage then you should take potential sag into consideration.

What type of springs are they and are you putting them on your 7th gen?
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rcelefano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
A little bit of rust shouldn't be an issue, that's to be expected, what you need to look for is deep pitting rust as that affects the actual strength of the spring.

Check for the markings, every set of springs I've owned have had manufacturer info on multiple places.

All springs soften up and sag overtime, even tein and eibach, so if they won't tell you the mileage then you should take potential sag into consideration.

What type of springs are they and are you putting them on your 7th gen?
I'm just going for Original equipment. The roads in my area are poorly maintained, and I'm starting to scrape the floor (tein s-tech). So it's time for me to raise my car again. Do you think the Original's sag as well? I did notice my tein's are starting to sag in the rear.
Old 06-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

My stocks sagged a bit, but since there's a bit of a rake at stock ride height it's not as noticeable as with the horrible reverse rake aftermarket springs can cause.