Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Popping after new LCA bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vagabund07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Popping after new LCA bushings...

So my fiance's car (2001 Civic LX) has had bad compliance bushings for a while and last weekend I finally decided to replace them. While I had the front LCAs off, I also replaced the rear bushings and the right ball joint that got murdered during the removal process. The car is bone stock, no mods whatsoever, and has 103k miles on it. Once I got everything back together, I go to drive the car and it has a strange popping sound every time I pull out from a complete stop and randomly while driving down the road.

My first thought was that maybe the front swaybar end links were shot, so I went to Honda yesterday and bought new ones. Installed those, and the popping is still there. Tried tightening the end links with both wheels off the ground at the same time and then again with both wheels on the ground. Still popping. I didn't have the popping before I replaced the LCA bushings, but now I can't get it to go away. I haven't had the car aligned yet because I'd like to finish messing with the suspension prior to spending more money on that. I've tried turning the springs to "seat" them but it hasn't helped.

Today I had a mechanic put the car on a lift and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Everything was tight, nothing was worn. He suggested to just keep driving on it until something breaks. However, it's pretty embarassing and I know it isn't normal, so I'd like to figure it out. Any ideas here?
Old 05-11-2011
Electronics Guru

Alpheus should not be trustedAlpheus should not be trusted
Re: Popping after new LCA bushings...

Did you put the new compliance bearings in the same orientation as the old ones?

Does the car actually have to be moving to hear this "pop", or can you hold the brake and give it some throttle and hear the "pop"?
Old 05-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Did you just put the busings only or the whole control arm?
I believe you didnt mark them prior to installation did you?
Old 05-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

here, a run down for the most common cases:
1. Top mounts/hats - mine did start a clunk just after installing. I had to re-do the work the next weekend. Replace them if needed.
If you have an 01, install 02 - they have metal bearings as opposed to plastic.

2. LCA compliance bushings - they tend to go too. Replace them if needed - require a press to remove/install, or torches to remove/press to install - there were some using 3-jaw C-clamps too. Or just install new arms.

3. Sway bar endlinks - they tend to make noise after install too - replace then if needed.
Give preference to the moog one's, they are beefier and have greazing fittings.

4. Tie-rod ends - they tend to make noise too, so replace if needed.

5. Ball Joints - they tend to make noise. Replace if needed. Requires press to install unless they are the snap-ring replacement type.

If all above is done and it still makes noises, check your engine mounts - they tend to go too... visual inspection to see for tears.
Old 05-11-2011

Vagabund07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced the compliance bushings and DID mark the arrows with their previous orientation. I haven't tried holding the brake and giving it gas, but it always does it while moving. If I park the car and push up and down on the suspension, it doesn't do it.

Today I took the shocks and springs off, indexed them, and greased everything, but it's still making the popping sound. Only thing is now I have a stripped wheel stud I get to replace as well. I already replaced all four LCA bushings, both sway bar end links, and one ball joint, but it's still popping. I'm out of ideas, and more things continue to break...
Old 07-20-2011
Registered!!

akoutdoors1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having similar prob on my wifes 01 LX. Replaced: motor mounts, outer tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, struts... still I have this popping noise coming from the passenger side front end when going over random small bumps. Did you ever get it figured out?
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

tanker1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also having the same problem with my 95 DX. I also replaced the front LCA bushings with poly, reassembled and now have the clunk. checked all the bolts, tight. I will check the tie rods. Did you ever figure it out?
Old 10-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i had mine replaced with ES poly a few yrs ago and same popping. the only thing ive been able to figure out is they are just a beefier bushing that fills out the entire space, so you will get a clunk when they shift position, esp when turning and the car leans to one side. the alignment shop assured me it was normal and that they will still hold the alignment setting way better than the stock rubber bushing. but poly will make noises in the cold weather and sometimes clunking when turning. if you are turning the wheel left and right while driving and you hear and feel a loud clunk each time you turn to one side, it could be loose tie rods and should be fixed asap.
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

tanker1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there more performance tie rod ends or is OEM good enough for more aggressive driving?
Old 11-11-2015
Registered!!

rollaguy is an unknown quantity at this point

MY 01 lx is doing that too, but its lowered and I just replaced the rear lower lca's and installed a tie bar. Now, it only clunks when I turn to the right & the load is put on the rear driver side (where I'm hearing the clunk). I will check the tie rods to see if that's them.