Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

My car is lowered on one side :'(

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thefatalepic is an unknown quantity at this point
My car is lowered on one side :'(

I bought a used 2001 Civic EX Sedan...

I knew the suspension was bad, since the car seemed about .5" lower on the driver side.

I put 18" wheels and it made this a bit more obvious. So I bought Tokico "Blues" for the rears (I'm a little short on money right now) and figured I'd get them for the front when I get a chance.

Well, now I have about a 3" gap on the passenger side and around 1" gap on the driver side. Apparently the left side has a lowered spring and the right side doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if the front was the same way.

My question is: how long is it OK to drive like this? I need at least a week or two to save up some cash and get - well I'm not even sure yet I'm considering Eibach Sportline Springs for the 1.4" drop. I WAS going to get OEM springs but the left side looks alright but the 3" gap on the right looks like crap.

I'm worried about blowing my new Tokico's since the car is tilting so much.

Last edited by thefatalepic; 03-12-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: over-usage of the word "like"
Old 03-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: My car is lowered on one side :'(

Originally Posted by thefatalepic
I bought a used 2001 Civic EX Sedan...

I knew the suspension was bad, since the car seemed about .5" lower on the driver side.

I put 18" wheels and it made this a bit more obvious. So I bought Tokico "Blues" for the rears (I'm a little short on money right now) and figured I'd get them for the front when I get a chance.

Well, now I have about a 3" gap on the passenger side and around 1" gap on the driver side. Apparently the left side has a lowered spring and the right side doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if the front was the same way.

My question is: how long is it OK to drive like this? I need at least a week or two to save up some cash and get - well I'm not even sure yet I'm considering Eibach Sportline Springs for the 1.4" drop. I WAS going to get OEM springs but the left side looks alright but the 3" gap on the right looks like crap.

I'm worried about blowing my new Tokico's since the car is tilting so much.
Someone lowered one side of the car but not the other.. thats bizarre.

Whats likely happening is the side with the low spring is pulling forcing the other side to lift up higher, the tokicos should hold out for a few weeks, but its going to be hard on them. Have you looked around for a set of used springs?
Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

They have the set of Eibach Sportline for $216.92 at THMotorsports.com. I looked on eBay and I only found a new set for about the same price with shipping.

I wouldn't know where to look for used.. craigslist maybe?

Hmm.. that's interesting though. Now I'm not sure if I should just get the prokit for the 1" drop if it might be lifting for some reason.

If I have 18" wheels with 225/40/18 do you think the sportline 1.4" drop would be too much? I could get 225/35/18 but I drive on the I-10 sometimes and it's full of potholes - I'm afraid of sidewall bubbles.

My tires rub right now but only on the driver side - I figured once I switched all the struts for "Blues" I wouldn't have the rubbing problem. But now with the mismatched springs now I'm not so sure...
Old 03-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You definitely need to get the springs taken care of, I bought a set of H&R springs on craigslist for $40 but that was lucky. You shouldn't have to much trouble with running 225/40/18 with a 1.4 inch drop, I have 225/40/17 with the same drop and no issues at all.

If you want a bit less of a drop check out tein h.tech.
Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

The lowered half of my car looks great with the 1" gap and I think it rubs a little because all the struts are bad and it's tilted. I hear the "Blues" are stiffer than stock so I'm assuming this might help with the slight rubbing too, maybe. I'm planning on rolling the fenders too when I get a chance.

I'm just not sure which will let me keep the same gap - the 1" or the 1.4"

No luck on craigslist for used springs in my area, but I'm going to check out some local shop tomorrow. I wish I could just buy the rears and worry about the front pair later. I haven't actually seen the front springs so I'm not sure if they are mismatched or lowered or not etc etc.

I'm leaning toward the Eibach Sportline - if I can pull of the 1.4" drop I'll be happy, I'm planning on getting 17" wheels in the future anyway. I put the 18" on because they were only $100 for all four.
Old 03-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The lowered half of my car looks great with the 1" gap and I think it rubs a little because all the struts are bad and it's tilted. I hear the "Blues" are stiffer than stock so I'm assuming this might help with the slight rubbing too, maybe. I'm planning on rolling the fenders too when I get a chance.

I'm just not sure which will let me keep the same gap - the 1" or the 1.4"

No luck on craigslist for used springs in my area, but I'm going to check out some local shop tomorrow. I wish I could just buy the rears and worry about the front pair later. I haven't actually seen the front springs so I'm not sure if they are mismatched or lowered or not etc etc.

I'm leaning toward the Eibach Sportline - if I can pull of the 1.4" drop I'll be happy, I'm planning on getting 17" wheels in the future anyway. I put the 18" on because they were only $100 for all four.
Rear Eibach springs for sale
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ind-parts.html
Old 03-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

http://www.car-part.com/
this should give some time if you can find a spring there.
Old 03-13-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

the spring was probably incorrectly installed. either that or you have excess baggage on the driver side... no pun intended... ok maybe a little.
Old 03-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ yeah, true - it could have been incorrectly installed - check under the car. they also could be broken - yeah, have seen a couple...
Old 03-14-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
the spring was probably incorrectly installed. either that or you have excess baggage on the driver side... no pun intended... ok maybe a little.
Well now that I look at the springs, the one on the left has three coils of the spring fused together at the bottom. The one on the right has coils that are equally spaced. You can see that they are physically different.

_ _
_ _
_ _
= _

Umm I tried.. it looks sorta like those lines, but the left one has 3 coils stuck together.
Old 03-14-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

btw, it is extremely dangerous to drive one a higher spring on one side than other. bucause when you make a turn, you will load a one side and unload the other side. and if the other side is the side with the "shorter" spring (aka the side thats lowered) you have a high chance of losing traction on that side. and you'll lose control of ur car.

this is how i totaled me old accord. long story tho.
Old 03-15-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the warning - hopefully I can take care of it this Friday.
Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

WELL, this Friday came 5 weeks later unfortunately. xD

I finally ordered a set of springs, now I need to get some money for the front struts/shocks :'((

My question is.. how will I know if damage was done to the rear strut that is on the lowered side? When I put the new springs will it sag on that side or something? Or is it something I need to pay attention to while driving? etc.

Springs will be here in about 3-4 business days - just wondering what to look for once they're installed.

(Eibach Pro-Kit )
Old 04-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

visual would be leaks, when it's out, push and pull the shaft and see if there is some resistance. no resistance and it's done. How much? well, don't really remember...
If after install it is still low, potentially shock is not strong enough anymore.
Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Man, day late and a dollar short. Wish I had seen this thread sooner. There's like 8 sets of springs on local CL. OEM and aftermarket, all for $40-80.

Just so I can rub it in:
Name:  ebaysprings.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  40.4 KB
Everybody recognize a Paypal receipt? Ebay find, I was the only bidder. That was in early '09, need new springs already. Stupid potholes!
Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

Nice find with that one. I'm usually not a bidder on eBay because I either want to buy it or I don't. I hate the bidding process it's like a cheap "price is right" game.

I tried CL but there's nothing as far as a 1" drop in my area, just a couple sets of 2" lowering springs for $60 and $100. I spent $208.24 on Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Not TOO bad I don't think :/

Craigslist used to be great but either the quality of stuff that's posted there around Los Angeles has degraded or anything that's a good deal is jumped on VERY fast (I'm guessing the latter since a lot more people use Craigslist now than before.

And thanks @ sdaidoji, I'll make sure to stand out there while they change my springs so I can take a look at the shock. Hopefully it's still in good condition and I'll just have to worry about saving for the front pair. Then I'll buy the motor for my broken driver window. Still need a better sound system and some nice 17" wheels, LOL.

Oh, and the paint job, and I'm still confused on what to do about the rubber trim and moldings. This car needs some work...

Last edited by thefatalepic; 04-23-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: to add the word "rubber"
Old 04-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

?!?

you could try to do yourself?
Old 04-25-2011
Registered!!

Change the springs myself? I have 0 experience with any of that, LOL. I'd try but I don't have anywhere to work on the car myself. I work at a shop but when I'm here it's operating hours and I have to be inside the office working.
Old 04-27-2011
Registered!!

Well we only had time to change one spring for now, the one that was OEM and apparently the other 3 are lowered.

Here comes the part.

It looks like the car already had the Eibach Pro-Kit, the other rear says "Eibach" on it and looks the same. The front springs are dirty and I can't tell but they look VERY similar.

The new spring still sits higher, I'm assuming because it's new.

Should I still have them change the other 3 just to have the new springs on it? Or is only the 1 necessary and I can possibly sell the front pair of the Pro-Kit and just be left with an extra new rear spring.

EDIT: My reasoning is "I've already dropped the ~$200 might as well get the new ones on."

Last edited by thefatalepic; 04-27-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

put the new ones in, sell the others somewhat.
it should give you some more time or they might not sag. Mine do lower only when I set the shocks to stiffest in mine AGX.
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

Thanks sdaidoji, I was actually waiting for you to chime in.. LOL.. I should have just PMed you :P
Old 04-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

wouldn't have worked anyway, I have been off-line since yesterday
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
wouldn't have worked anyway, I have been off-line since yesterday
I figured. I was getting worried... none of my last 5 posts were replied to... by anybody. I was starting to think my questions were getting too stupid to dignify an answer.

Glad to know I haven't gotten to that point... yet.
Old 04-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

bwaaahahaha! You still good!
Old 04-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

I was thinking - maybe your current low springs are the sportline (1.5, vs 1" on the pro-kit), so that is the reason the new spring is higher? wait until you swap the other side, you might be surprised.
I guess you will reallly know after you install the fronts, though. Some batches of the rear does seem to sag, fronts not so much.
Potentially, you have been running a stock spring with a 1.5" low spring in the other side...
Easy check - pro-kit are black, sport are red, just in case.

BTW, now this makes sense...
Well now that I look at the springs, the one on the left has three coils of the spring fused together at the bottom. The one on the right has coils that are equally spaced. You can see that they are physically different.
_ _
_ _
_ _
= _

Umm I tried.. it looks sorta like those lines, but the left one has 3 coils stuck together.
Eibach kits have the dead coil, that does the "fused together" impression.
Stock does not have the dead coils, which are the ones evenly spaced. Dead coils are supposed to extend when the car weight is lifted, thus keeping contact with the top mounts and the strut perches, but stay completely compressed when weight is in. That is to avoid the springs coming free in case the wheel is lifted (FWD well setup does do it in the rear...)

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-28-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

That's what I was thinking, but I noticed all the springs are black which led me to believe they are the pro-kit. The new spring has settled to almost match the other 3. But I'm still kinda set on just putting the new ones in. The guy here doesn't really want to do the work because he is saying there will be no difference between the new and old springs.

I want to have him just do it anyway because they are new, am I crazy?
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

...am I crazy?
Probably but, make him put the new ones on. You don't know how old they are. Then post 'em on local CL. You won't get much but, it'll be something.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

...The guy here doesn't really want to do the work because he is saying there will be no difference between the new and old springs.
I want to have him just do it anyway because they are new, am I crazy?

Originally Posted by lazlong
Probably but, make him put the new ones on. You don't know how old they are. Then post 'em on local CL. You won't get much but, it'll be something.
Hahaha XD. Nice response. Lol.. Thanks, I'll have them do it. I just wanted some confirmation that I'm not the only one thinking I should might as well put the new springs in.