Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

swaybars

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicbyrc is an unknown quantity at this point
swaybars

I've been thinking about putting the Eibach swaybars on my civic sedan ex. Im going to put the types "s" on the rear and the civic one on the front. Has anyone had that setup and enjoyed it? Was there too much understear or overstear? no other mods done to the car yet.
Old 01-23-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: swaybars

Comment deleted because I can't read for crap

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 01-25-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Comment deleted because I can't read for crap

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 01-25-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

That's a strut bar, not a sway bar.

I'm running an RSX 19mm rear and OEM up front. It's been so long that I forgot what my initial impressions of it were..

but yea, I'd definitely snag that strut bar, too. Damn good deal, damn good strut bar.
Old 01-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I use only rear from progress. They are close to neutral, som oversteer when pushed, understeer when too tight a corner.
But i have eibach springs and KYB AGX shocks, so they affect the handling as well.
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

The sedan's rear rolls pretty hard with just slow speed cornering. I haven't decided to do springs or adjustable coilovers yet. My wife drives it more than I do. I would like to keep the height that it is at for her, but improve the steering stability. I most likely will be lowering it only a 1" to 1.5" later on after I get the car.
Old 01-25-2011

Bwhahahhahahaha.

Reading > me

Sorry guys my eyes saw sway bar but my brain told me strut bar...

Pwn
Old 01-25-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have 19mm rsx in the rear (big improvement over stock 13mm) and i still have the stock 22mm front bar. its hollow and light yet still does a good job. i ran without it for a month when the endlink broke and hated it. big difference those two bars make in more responsive cornering. the front upper strut bar is nice too for eliminating the steering wheel play (car starts to turn immediately when you move the wheel instead of having a dead space where you can turn it and nothing happens). stick with neuspeed or other one piece design strut bar tho.
Old 01-25-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Bwhahahhahahaha.

Reading > me

Pwn
Haha.. It's cool, you opened the door to another great suspension mod for the OP, at a DAMN good price, too
Old 01-25-2011
Administrator
Administrator

here's the link again, in case you wanted to snag it
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...5-shipped.html
lol.. I might snag it so I can get my current one re-powdercoated to a gunmetal color and still retain a strut bar
Old 01-26-2011
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute

I have the RSX 19mm bar in the rear and the stock up front. It creates a little oversteer and I like the way it drives. Cheap and great upgrade.
Old 01-26-2011
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Now when you guys say RSX, do you mean from an Acura RSX??
Old 01-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yup, they should bolt in if you get the hardware to attach it

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Bwhahahhahahaha.

Reading > me

Pwn
Don't drink and type in the keyboard

but yeah, like xriceboyx said, the strut bar does help in feel of the car, so no harm done .

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-26-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

I haven't had much luck finding a oem rsx bar or rsx-s for cheap with the hardwear. So thats why I'm going with the Ebach. Maybe I'll try just the rear bar first.
Old 01-26-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by lollygagger
Now when you guys say RSX, do you mean from an Acura RSX??
yes.
Old 01-26-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by civicbyrc
I haven't had much luck finding a oem rsx bar or rsx-s for cheap with the hardwear. So thats why I'm going with the Ebach. Maybe I'll try just the rear bar first.
you try clubrsx? I got my RSX shift **** from their marketplace. If you can only find the 19 or 23mm RSX/Type-S rear sway bar, you can always find the energy suspension polyurethane mounts for like $15.. As for the endlinks, you can still use the stock endlinks, or you can get the heavy duty ones from dezod.com

19mm ES rear mounts: http://thmotorsports.com/energy_susp.../i-104882.aspx
23mm ES rear mounts: http://thmotorsports.com/energy_susp...g/i-99570.aspx
endlinks: http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motors...ompetition.cfm

edit: guy parting out a 03 base model.. should have a 19mm rear sway bar
and I spy a sway bar in this guy's pics.. couldn't tell you if it's a front or rear..

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 01-26-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gearbox
i have 19mm rsx in the rear (big improvement over stock 13mm) and i still have the stock 22mm front bar. its hollow and light yet still does a good job. i ran without it for a month when the endlink broke and hated it. big difference those two bars make in more responsive cornering. the front upper strut bar is nice too for eliminating the steering wheel play (car starts to turn immediately when you move the wheel instead of having a dead space where you can turn it and nothing happens). stick with neuspeed or other one piece design strut bar tho.

gearbox,

what do you call the front bar that located on the bottom? I am curious. front sway?
Old 01-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sway bar, anti-roll bar or stabilizer bar are the usual names associated to them across the world
Old 01-26-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

also you dont need the rsx hardware so long as your car already has a rear sway bar. if you have no bar, you need alot of stuff to add. dezod.com sells a kit to add rear sway to the dx/vp.
Old 01-27-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by civicbyrc
I've been thinking about putting the Eibach swaybars on my civic sedan ex. Im going to put the types "s" on the rear and the civic one on the front. Has anyone had that setup and enjoyed it? Was there too much understear or overstear? no other mods done to the car yet.
Don't bother with the front swaybar (for now). Waste of money for your application, IMHO. If you are looking for less push I would start with just the rear, then tweak it from there. In most cases, getting a bigger front or same size "brand name" bar defeats the purpose of a larger rear bar. Sure, you may get a little less lean, but that lean in the front can provide the needed grip to counteract understeer (which is a good thing). It's a wide misconception that lean = poor handling. This is almost as bad as a slammed car = good handling. To me, suspension travel is the key. You don't see many autocrossers or trackday cars, specifically mac strut EM2/EP3/ES1/DC5s dropped more than 3/4" to 1" (unless you are a pro with the entire suspension redone, i.e. revised steering arm angles, adjusted rear control arm pivot points, etc.). Basically, Too Low = For Show (I fall into that category)

Back to topic: Are the Eibach Type S sways 22 mm? If so, I think that should provide a starting point for "balance" you are seeking. There really is no true way to induce oversteer in a FWD car with sways, it just lessens push to a point. Don't get me wrong, you can rotate the rear of a Civic all day long, but I believe that is more of a function of tire selection, tire pressure, throttle and brake application, spring rates, shock settings, etc.

Try decreasing the size of the fronts or bump up the rears. Some people run no bar in the front - slower in, more tire contact, some slop, but faster out. Some prefer front bar - faster in, more slide, consistent feel, but slower out than less or no bar. I'm currently running 25.4 front and 27 rear. It works for me, I like the feel, but snap oversteer becomes more of a concern, especially in the rain. I wanna bump up to a 32mm ASR, but $500 is a lot of money for a rearsway. A good rule of thumb, especially for those on a budget, is one piece at a time. It makes it easier to determine what piece makes an improvement vs what is detrimental or non value added. Hope that helps.

Last edited by maxtierney; 01-28-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Oh BTW...

Cheap (actually FREE) way to lessen push. Believe it or not, tire pressures do make a difference. I tend to run soft front (30-32 PSI) and firm rear (40-42 PSI). More grip in the front, less grip in the rear.

Think of it this way: If putting more air in your tires equates to getting better gas milage, due to less rolling resistance. The opposite would be true with less air, which increases resistance or friction.

Basically, understeer is when the front tire's traction is overcome by excess speed, angle, lift, etc. Increasing that vital "crossover point" with just a little more grip can be the difference in eating a curb/cone or accelerating out mid-apex with a big smile on your face.

Try it out. Experiment and see what works for you.

Last edited by maxtierney; 01-28-2011 at 01:49 AM.