Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

issue with loud thump hitting sound with coilover...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miyagi is an unknown quantity at this point
issue with loud thump hitting sound with coilover...

I have gc sleeves with tokico dspec struts.
everything went smooth with installation.
I stayed not so low for atleast a few weeks until the car settles enough.
I went in last night and lowered the bottom perch some more, tightened everything up and went on my way for a drive..
Rides pretty good but on the driver side I get a loud thump hitting sound when I hit a bump in the road.
I checked the strut mount, center strut nut, And the all other bolts nothing seems loose. I took out the strut to make sure its not blown and its not..it. kind of sounds like the driver side bottoms out when I hit a bump. Maybe im too low? I havethe bump stop in place and again everything feels and looks fine. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: issue with loud thump hitting sound with coilover...

Couple possibilities there, you might have assembled the strut improperly. You need to have the spring sitting in on the strut in a certain way. The other possibility is that your LCA bushings are toast and the extra stress is making them pop louder than before and your noticing it now.
Old 12-12-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

its ur lower control arm bushing. its broken causing it to come out of its position and hit the top part of the subframe.
Old 12-12-2010
CIVIC USER

jbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trusted

I'm sure this could also be the cause of a higher compression rating on the GC sleeves
compared to your stock set up or a true full coilover kit.

This was the number 1 determinant for me to switch to a full coilover kit. You will
find this to be more of an issue on uneven roads and freeways but for the price
I'm sure it's still going to be worth it.
Old 12-12-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jbrown59
I'm sure this could also be the cause of a higher compression rating on the GC sleeves
compared to your stock set up or a true full coilover kit.

This was the number 1 determinant for me to switch to a full coilover kit. You will
find this to be more of an issue on uneven roads and freeways but for the price
I'm sure it's still going to be worth it.
i have ground controls and i had this problem now to long ago. the cause was broken LCA mounts. i fixed the mounts and now it doesnt happen anymore.

so its not because of the GC sleeves
Old 12-14-2010
CIVIC USER

jbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trusted

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i have ground controls and i had this problem now to long ago. the cause was broken LCA mounts. i fixed the mounts and now it doesnt happen anymore.

so its not because of the GC sleeves
Well the loud noise will be gone but the THUMP will definitely still be
there I am Sure.
Old 12-14-2010
Registered!!

cat54 is an unknown quantity at this point

I fixed LCA mounts and it seems now the noise has gone on mine - when I first had the problem there was a similar thump noise over bumps - now it is cured.