Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Help! stock civic trying to beef up suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hoopdi is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help! stock civic trying to beef up suspension

i have a 2004 honda civic coupe DX 1.7L SOHC and am trying to find some suspension upgrades and was wondering if anyone could direct me to parts or suggestions? it rides wayyy to lose and is constantly breaking from the road.
Old 07-03-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help! stock civic trying to beef up suspension

price range?

and what are you looking for? Lowered stance and slightly stiffer, adjustability in dampering/height, etc?
Old 07-03-2010
Registered!!

lol price range i guess not insane performance parts. idk. i need it reasonable. and only want to drop it as little as needed. i live in new york and potholes are a bitch. definitly stiffer.
Old 07-03-2010
Registered!!

its just supposed to be a fun car. nothing crazy. but definitly way better than it is now
Old 07-03-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

prolly best bet is tokico hp shocks and eibach prokit springs (1 inch). firmer ride, looks nice, rides pretty good, and you wont mess up the car scraping or going over potholes. and it will grab the road better in corners.
Old 07-03-2010
Registered!!

any suggestions on sway bars?
Old 07-03-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

rsx rear sway bar, stock front sway bar. neuspeed front upper strut bar. and moog endlinks front/rear for the swaybars. the front bar is usually pretty good stock, most civic come with large front bar to start with, and hollow for less weight. stock rear sway is way too small.
Old 07-04-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

x2 on that setup
Old 07-26-2010
Registered!!

masterguns is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking to do this to my '02 lx. When you say rsx rear sway bar, I assume you mean that which would be stock for an '02 rsx, correct? Are there any particular brands that stand out?
Old 07-26-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I'm running a 19mm rear sway bar that actually came off of an RSX.. so.. honda OEM? lol.. I think I got mine off of clubrsx.com
Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Might as well pick up some better tires or a tire wheel combo. I put on a 21mm rsx rear bar and now I can really tell the tires are holding me back. Its a lot better for all around daily driving though.
Old 08-07-2010
Registered!!

docjocco is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking to make my 2000 sedan handle well for a daily driver on a tight budget . Should I go with the thickest sway bar possible with urethane bushings? Tires and springs will be last on the list due to cost... thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

^ welcome to civicforums
You should really be starting your own thread, rather than jacking someone else's.

Having said that, yes, the rear stabilizer bar is the best suspension mod you can do for the money. Find a used one to save cash - it'll work just fine. Get the thickest one you can (19mm is good, 22+mm even better). Be prepared to get new endlinks, too, just in case you have to cut your existing ones off.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for digging this thing up. I will bring my car to the dealer to do the alignment since the price is pretty close to other shops.

Also, I called several shops for quotes of changing struts and to change 4 Tokico's on my civic 04. It costs around $920 (this place is the only one around north of Detroit that sells Tokico shocks and it is a performance shop)

I called the chained shop it about $900 but the chained shops use "MONROE." I had not asked which model they offer.

$900 is a lots if you can do DIY but since time and tools are my problem if I have to change I might go to that performance shop to do it.

I really want to try the Tokico HP
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

*You will need an alignment kit, at least for the back, probably the front too: http://www.truehonda.com/inventory.p...products&id=27

See what the price is for them to put the strut/spring assembly together then put them in yourself. All you really need to R&R (remove and replace) is basic hand tools, jack and stands. A hand operated spring compressor is a bitch (believe me, I know). Let the shop take the risk of that spring coming off the compressor and slicing a hand off.

If you would rather just let the shop do it then by all means get the performance if it's just a bit more. Monroe sucks.