Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Suspension Mods - order of performance increase

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suspension Mods - order of performance increase

Originally Posted by mrplow123456
Are you sure about that? Most companies don't offer coilovers as a convience but because most are capable of offering more then what standalone struts can offer. Take Tein for example. their basic coilovers, MSRP $900, offer more then most reasonably price struts do. And I know Bilstein is a very good company but it's hard to find a lowering spring that matches the quality of them.

Plus there is a reason that only the best things are coilovers. Anyone who does autoX or any kind of severe handling will tell you it's more convient for a whole package that can be adjusted together. I'm not saying every coilover is good, but chances are, you buy from a reputable company, you will have no problems racing on them.
I would say that pre built "coilovers" came about exclusively as a Convenience. As in they removed thought from the equation. So you are trusting said companies to have done their homework and built a "coilover" that best suits your needs.... Even though they have no idea what your specific needs are, and thus build for the "lowest common denominator" AKA average joe street driver. Ensuring they are OK for the vast majority of drivers and marketable to the widest group possible.

In competition, you'll find that pre built coilovers are far and few between. the vast majority of drivers I've seen in club racing & autocross are running Koni, Bilstien, Penske (If they have the cash) or some other stand alone Damper, tied in with typically Ground control springs.

Pre-built setups are decent for the majority of drivers, but if you are trying to set the car up for a specific application like autocross or open track, you are by far better off piecemealing the suspension together.

I usually link this http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
as a reference on why you shouldn't be looking at prebuilt "coilovers" for competition.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 04-06-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jayg8881
Hey Viper, are those KSport upper pillowball mounts hard to install? Because they say that they are for their coilover setup, because I don't want to use the standard camber correction bolts (I have heard that they will shift out of camber Adjustment).
i had to trim the bearing washer to get them to fit on the konis. and the top mounts dont adjust like teins do. they are set with increments and yould have to uninstall to make adjustments on them. i just set them to max caster, and im running 4 camber bolts as well

Originally Posted by bomerman19
Maybe this summer I can slide the video camera up into the bumper when I Auto-x so I can get video footage of of what the endlink is doing I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8A27JXThVE
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
I would say that pre built "coilovers" came about exclusively as a Convenience. As in they removed thought from the equation. So you are trusting said companies to have done their homework and built a "coilover" that best suits your needs.... Even though they have no idea what your specific needs are, and thus build for the "lowest common denominator" AKA average joe street driver. Ensuring they are OK for the vast majority of drivers and marketable to the widest group possible.

In competition, you'll find that pre built coilovers are far and few between. the vast majority of drivers I've seen in club racing & autocross are running Koni, Bilstien, Penske (If they have the cash) or some other stand alone Damper, tied in with typically Ground control springs.

Pre-built setups are decent for the majority of drivers, but if you are trying to set the car up for a specific application like autocross or open track, you are by far better off piecemealing the suspension together.

I usually link this http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
as a reference on why you shouldn't be looking at prebuilt "coilovers" for competition.

GOOD INFO!!!!

Originally Posted by metalviper
i had to trim the bearing washer to get them to fit on the konis. and the top mounts dont adjust like teins do. they are set with increments and yould have to uninstall to make adjustments on them. i just set them to max caster, and im running 4 camber bolts as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8A27JXThVE

nice vid!!! see the bar takes the flex the endlink for the most part just goes up and down
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

Yeah I have to agree with you. Even with as much physics info I have I never thought about applying it to suspension. I realize that it is important but never realized how crude the adjustments were. On another note, however, I have changed my outlook from getting coilovers to getting a quality pair of struts/shocks.

Now another question arises, what is the difference between struts and shocks? I thought they were one in the same. Plus whats a quality brand at around $75 per strut as I alrdy have the springs I'm going to be using. I'm looking to get this done soon so help would be nice.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

basicly a shocks goes up and down you have shocks in the rear.

were as a strut goes up and down like a shock but also turns or has some sort of steering arm attached to it. the fronts are struts Hence the name Mcpherson strut
the older generation civics with the double wishbone front suspension had shocks cause they just went up and down and were not actually connected to the steering
Old 04-08-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

Ok so in that case, I am going to need to buy 2 front struts and then 2 rear shocks? I assume that when you buy a package, they sell them that way correct? I need new suspension at all four corners and since I have some Weapon R lowering springs already, I just need some new shocks/sturts. The only other question is, which setup would work best and without breaking the bank?
Old 04-08-2009
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bomerman19
basicly a shocks goes up and down you have shocks in the rear.

were as a strut goes up and down like a shock but also turns or has some sort of steering arm attached to it. the fronts are struts Hence the name Mcpherson strut
the older generation civics with the double wishbone front suspension had shocks cause they just went up and down and were not actually connected to the steering
Actually a "shock" (the better term is damper) in this case is a non-load bearing damper for the spring (the A-arms bear the load and lateral forces of the suspension), where as a Strut is a Damper that is load bearing (the strut does the job of both the damper & the upper A-arm) It doesn't have to be attached to the steering rack, Such setups are called MacPherson struts, where no steering struts are called Chapman struts.

Effectively you could say that all Struts are shocks, but not all shocks are struts.