Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Megan or D2 Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spitfire32888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Megan or D2 Coilovers?

Alright i'm tryin to decide between Megan or D2 coilovers for my 02 coupe. my current set up is skunk2 springs and stock struts skunk2 upper control arms and for rubber i have 205/50/16's. I drive around the city during the summer and curvy *** mountain roads in the winter but i also enjoy the occasional auto-x. i want a 1 finger gap in the front and about a 1.5 to 2 finger gap in the back. i read TeLLy's review on the Megans from back in 2005 and they were soundin petty good. What does everyone think i should do? Thanks much.
Old 05-21-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Megan or D2 Coilovers?

Neither, but if I had to choose, Megan.
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Ive got the full megan on 17 205/40's I can't drop the back as much as the front. Although if I went much lower daily driving would probably suffer. Before wheels about 1.75" for the front and a little less for the back (bottom of the back struts are screwed tight to the adjustable bottom piece). The front strut pieces have holes in the bottom and a flat bar that connects to the tie rod end, so the front will drop down so far that the tires would hit the hood, well probably the frame first.
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about

i would secone Robbclark and say get neither.

just save up a little more money for a better coilover system like Tein or equivalent, you wont regret it.
Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Da1lyDr1ver
i would secone Robbclark and say get neither.

just save up a little more money for a better coilover system like Tein or equivalent, you wont regret it.
IDK I like my Megans and Im not sure you can tell the difference in ride between them and Tein Basics on the street. I would say go with the Teins though just cause you can put a sticker that says Tein on your car and it would be cool but put a Megan sticker on and you might just **** off your girl friend.
Old 05-25-2008
Registered!!

Spitfire32888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone else? Please
Old 05-25-2008
Registered!!

L23Tan is an unknown quantity at this point

I also couldn't decide the past month or so which set-up to go with. My choices were different from yours, as I could not decide between the KW's Variant 1 or 2, the Tein SS-P's and the Eibach Pro Street S.

After much research, I decided to go with the Tein SS-P's. Let me tell you, these things look flawless right out of the box! I took a lot of pictures too! See here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563525057tpEyGd

Yesterday, I installed the rears only. I will install the fronts in the next day or two, as I'm still waiting for my new nuts and bolts from Honda, as the ones on the car are quite rusty.

When it comes to Suspension, I suggest you stick with the reputable manufacturers, becuase you know they put R&D behind the products, use quality materials, and are proven on the track.

I'm no suspension expert, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

bu1sa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ONE7thREBUILT
I would say go with the Teins though just cause you can put a sticker that says Tein on your car and it would be cool but put a Megan sticker on and you might just **** off your girl friend.
hahaha ONE7thREBUILT. i can actually picture this happening to someone.

you know i've actually been looking at Tein Basics. the price is the only thing stopping me from getting it right now. kind of in a tight budget. and i agree with the "you get what you pay for" thing.
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

02civicg5 will become famous soon enough

I say stick wit the skunk2 springs and get kyb agx adjustables.. there great
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

em2suprcivc is an unknown quantity at this point

I have d2 coilovers and i dont have any complaints. I love the setup, priced a little under a grand, but i like the addition and the stance my car gets from it now.
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

SITNLOW97 will become famous soon enough

Ive heard mostly bad about megans and mostly good about the d2's
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

Polo2k4 will become famous soon enough

Doesn't D2 have like a rally team and a drift team etc, whereas megan doesnt have anything to backup their product? I think the megan racing spec coilovers are pretty sweet tho.
Old 11-14-2008
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Polo2k4
Doesn't D2 have like a rally team and a drift team etc, whereas megan doesnt have anything to backup their product? I think the megan racing spec coilovers are pretty sweet tho.
megan racing has a drift team...

id also go with none, i would pick kw.

only teins that i think are worth buying are the tein flex's. tein basics blow very easily and the price your paying for tein ss you might as well spend a little more and get the flex's.

d2, ksports, function and form are all the same. all made in the same factory in taiwan. great coilovers for daily driving and pushing it a little hard, but dont bother to track or auto x these suspension set ups. i have k sports and i love them, but i only daily drive so there is no point in buying baller suspension.

for what you listed though i would go with megan racing. i know a few people who track with their coilovers and they love them. i believe megan racing is underrated.
Old 11-14-2008
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have megan racing street coilovers on my Evo, I am very happy with them although they are stiffer than my stock suspension. I have already adjusted the ride height lower twice.
Old 11-28-2008
Registered!!

mugenpower07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the megan and in all honesty i love them. - the fact that u cant lower the back as low as u need it. They r great. I have them with shifter spring rate. For the price u pay alot better then tein. its just a name ur buying. for everyday drive and even great for the road racing. But dont get me wrong there r better suspension out there. It pretty much how serious u want to get with it.
Old 12-01-2008
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

I got Megan's as well. They have treated me well. One problem is their binding, in which they slowly raise up and unscrew themselves, but was able to solve that with some chassis grease and putting the extra perches that came with the set on the bottom of the coilover where the shock body comes out as you set the height lower. I believe it was Triz that suggested to purchase these anti-binding pieces, but I figured I'd try this out first.

The ride is stiff, and adjusting the dampening does help, but they will always be stiffer than OEM. For sure a lot less body-roll, and the stance is great. Although there are complaints that the rears don't drop as low as they should (for me, got a maximum wheel gap of 1 snug finger), that's what I wanted. Plenty and plenty of compliments on my stance + the feel.
Old 12-02-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

Originally Posted by Polo2k4
what does that matter? your not going to be using that suspension setup their cars use. the ots setups you buy will not nearly be as close to anything they will use (hopefully). they are probably revalved by a certified koni rebuilder
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

crazybluecivic is on a distinguished road

Ive called about this question. So let me chime in cause im reading some of this and LOLing

Ok so to start off on Tein: Every one i know and more have blowed teins - For Track use and Street. So i dont even bother with there over priced products anymore cause they are so not JDM.

D2: Great Product Better Price - For price and quality this is a great pick some even come with camber plates and from what i heard the design is almost the same as megan racing, But i have not heard ride quality info regarding stiffness or softness

Megan: Great product OK Priced - Ride quality to most people say they are too soft and when you lower alot you get slight bounce ive seen it with my own eyes and asked the drivers. But megan does make quality

So hope i helped out and i called Elite AutoSports for the tune in id rather listen to a shop or seller than just he said she said

http://www.elitecarparts.com/
Old 01-12-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crazybluecivic
Ive called about this question. So let me chime in cause im reading some of this and LOLing

Ok so to start off on Tein: Every one i know and more have blowed teins - For Track use and Street. So i dont even bother with there over priced products anymore cause they are so not JDM.

D2: Great Product Better Price - For price and quality this is a great pick some even come with camber plates and from what i heard the design is almost the same as megan racing, But i have not heard ride quality info regarding stiffness or softness

Megan: Great product OK Priced - Ride quality to most people say they are too soft and when you lower alot you get slight bounce ive seen it with my own eyes and asked the drivers. But megan does make quality

So hope i helped out and i called Elite AutoSports for the tune in id rather listen to a shop or seller than just he said she said

http://www.elitecarparts.com/

im LOLing at ur post cuz this was over 2 years ago. lol.

anyways, since u contributed, so shall i.

on ur advise, do you have personal experience with them or just word of mouth? that is assuming u have had/have had both megan and D2 on ur car.

if not, then ur suggest is just a generalization and assumption like everyone elses.

and for the record, megan coilovers on a civic will ride totally different than megan on [for example] an accord. you cannot fairly compare those two.

and a lot of shops dont know as much as they think you do, especially when they wanna sell u their crap. ive had shops tell me to buy their "custom" exhaust with 3" tubing and a type-R fart cannon in order to increase 10hp on my stock civic. i told them my stickers gave me more whorespower than that.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

get progress technology. D2 , MEGAN, K SPORT are cheaply made
Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

crazybluecivic is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
im LOLing at ur post cuz this was over 2 years ago. lol.

anyways, since u contributed, so shall i.

on ur advise, do you have personal experience with them or just word of mouth? that is assuming u have had/have had both megan and D2 on ur car.

if not, then ur suggest is just a generalization and assumption like everyone elses.

and for the record, megan coilovers on a civic will ride totally different than megan on [for example] an accord. you cannot fairly compare those two.

and a lot of shops dont know as much as they think you do, especially when they wanna sell u their crap. ive had shops tell me to buy their "custom" exhaust with 3" tubing and a type-R fart cannon in order to increase 10hp on my stock civic. i told them my stickers gave me more whorespower than that.
this is from shop and personal use.... of course every car will differ on ride quality even with the same brand. and the shop i call never sells crap just to sell it. thats the sad part about our scene. we need more trust worthy places and i found one
Old 01-13-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

someone once told me something wise: every shop will ripped you off. you just gotta find the stop that does it the least.

...or do it yourself. lol